Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-15-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

About a year ago I built this trailer:

Recently decided to make another so I can pull a double. Maybe a triple somewhere down the road. But for now, a companion is in order.

Started by building the rear suspension from brass:

The airbags are semi-functional. There's a couple foam washers in between the brass tubes, and wrapped with contoured foam from a transmitter steering wheel. They might be a little over-scale, but it beats spending big bucks for the aftermarket bags that are out there. Anyway, they're somewhat hidden by:

the DOT bumper.

Real trailers don't have a frame, but the various Tamiya Companion for my little pup (trailer) components are made to go on one, so I used some 24" sections of C-channel aluminum to connect the legs, kingpin and suspension:

The frame will be hidden by the trailer sides.

Since I already have one rather old and beat up trailer, I'm building this one as a brand-new job, since doubles rarely match. And rather than cut up another Intercontinental Express sticker sheet with its somewhat dated graphics, I hired an actual graphic artist to do me a new logo on vinyl.

Waiting on my huge sheets of styrene Companion for my little pup (trailer) to arrive, and then I can really get moving on this one.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Brizio's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Brizio
    Looks good!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    Look'in good...I'm anxious to see what you come up with for a con-gear. I never could back a set up worth beans but I'll bet you can. You will be all set to haul some "dispatcher brains!" keep up the good work!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Gorgeous work as usual OBH.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Quote Originally Posted by 46SuperDeluxe View Post
    Look'in good...I'm anxious to see what you come up with for a con-gear. I never could back a set up worth beans but I'll bet you can. You will be all set to haul some "dispatcher brains!" keep up the good work!
    I've got a scratchbuilt A-train dolly that will hook them up nicely. And it won't back up more than a few inches before it gets all codlocked, just like the real thing. You can see the dolly in my video:

Dolly makes its appearance at 4:43

I'll have to do another video when this is finished ;';;';

And I don't have heavy enough springs to haul dispatcher brains. I remember going thru the mega-construction zone in Chicago, got within 10 miles of my destination and the QC beeps: Turn around and drop it at the yard up in Wisconsin. [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color], why not drop it at the yard in Gary, since it's closer and I'm almost there anyway? Nope, Wisconsin. So I got to do the construction zone all over again.

Meh, I got paid by the mile so I guess it's all good.

Companion for my little pup (trailer)
    Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 06-16-10 at 08:04 AM.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Brizio's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Brizio
    Cool video!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    Your video was awesome!!! It's just like watching the "real thing." when you put that set together it will look real with the one weathered one and the new one! Brings back memories!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Some progress in the last few days:

Paint, door frame, mudflaps

Taillights, dock bumpers

Detailed landing gear

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Well that was a productive day:

I cheated a little bit: The door doesn't open, since this will be the lead trailer.

Still got a few details to add, and of course the graphics.

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    I don't remember seeing too many trailers licensed in California...even in California. California rips owner/operators, and people trying to do business in the People's Republic of California IMHO. How about Oklahoma? I love the rust detail on the latch, however...very true to life. Also neglected to mention that the working sliding tandem in the video blew me away!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Yeah, I know about Cali, but that's the only tag I had left. I suppose I could do one up on Acme, but they don't have commercial tags. I probably should anyway, the other trailer has a Nevada tag and the tractor's registered in Indiana. Sounds a little dodgy; I was hoping nobody would notice.

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    OBH...I wasn't trying to bust your chops...just old me blowing off, you do great work featuring subjects that aren't being covered elsewhere. It knocks me out the way that you can prop a few pieces of styrene Companion for my little pup (trailer) together and BAM, you nail it. Loved the "Zook" too, considered building a real tintop w/ a 1.6 or 2.0 or VW diesel.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    No worries, SD. I enjoy building stuff that nobody else has done. For one thing nobody knows how accurate I am

Some detailey bits:

Dispatch box and registration pocket, some leftover rivets too.

Hmmm... "miscellaneous hazardous material". Could be anything from bug spray to time bombs.

Pulls nice behind the S-series daycab

Gotta stand back pretty far to get the whole train in there.

Outdoor pics once my graphics get here.

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    A little side project:

The old dolly (a cobbled-together last-minute abortion) is out, say hello to the new dolly. 100% styrene Companion for my little pup (trailer) except for the axle stubs and airbags.

The airbags are an old Losi touring-car insert wrapped around a couple pieces of styrene Companion for my little pup (trailer) tube. Tailights are Axial.

In place the new dolly looks much better than the old. But now I have two dollies. Anyone up for a triple?

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It's a pleasure to watch this stuff being built. Amazing detail.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #15