-->
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entex 1:16 540K

Builder Last Online: Nov 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-01-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Okay, I have just started another model, can you guess what it is of? LOL Does anybody have reference pics of the engine that you would be willing to share? If so PLEASE email me.

spinellid82@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
      Show More

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
  1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello David,

do you need some pictures of the Mercedes M 24 straight eight engine or for the pictured kids car? Seems no Bandai 1/16 to me, steering wheel is kind of outa scale.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    LOL! I didn't even notice that the pic I chose is a peddle car...oops. I need reference pics of the Mercedes straight eight. As Homer would say, "D'OH!"

USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello David,

got some reference pics of the M 24 II (MB 540 K) engine here in my gallery. Feel free to ask for more and you're welcome to get further info about it. A look at Chris Davies' Pocher K 74 build on page 27 on this site might be helpful as well.

Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by 3.Star; 08-02-12 at 01:29 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    If you use Pocher instructions for reference, be aware that they all are based on the 500K engine and chassis, though there were lots of crossovers in parts between the 500K and 540K. The 1/16 kit has a somewhat simple engine, so it could use some detailing. On this kit, test-fitting is imperative. The kit (540K Spezial Roadster) was originally produced by Gakken, then reissued by Entex, Revell and Minicraft.

Here's a series of build pictures of the Revell boxing of the kit..

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/large-scale-cars/2659-1936-mercedes-benz-540k-1-16- revell .html

You might find the following thread of interest for the exchange of information between prewar Mercedes enthusiasts. Register there and you can also ask any questions you may need answered (I suggest contacting the thread starter, alsancle)...

PreWar Mercedes Benz

Let me know if you have any particular reference needs. Here are a couple of pointers to questions you didn't ask:
    (a) The Maharajah version is specifically the car of the Maharajah of Indore, and is the only one with external fuel tanks on the running boards. The kit has a molded brown interior, which is the way it was built; however, the Maharajah didn't like it and had them change it to red. (b) Don't pay attention to the Maisto diecast, which has both fender-mounted and rear-mounted spare tires - choose one or the other. (c) Classic Mercedes purists go bonkers when they see whitewall tires on a 540K (though they were available on special order or as retrofit).
    Last edited by sjordan; 08-02-12 at 12:57 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Here's a factory photo of the engine. I wouldn't use it as a painting guide, since Mercedes often used different finishes for clearer black and white photography. The air cleaner is generally black.

Cutaway of a slightly different version (Cabriolet B?).

Last edited by sjordan; 08-02-12 at 12:38 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Making some progress. The engine block, transmission, oil pan and front cover are all painted and assempled. I ordered some optical bolts for the pan and othe parts, even 00-90 is to big in this scale. I even found stainless acorn nuts that are 5/64" on the hex size, they should look about perfect on top of the valve cover but a $4.50 each I didn't order any spares! Now if I can get the valve cover to come out right looking like polished aluminum I'll be really happy! I'll get some pics in the morning.

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Okay, so I took a few tonight.

I know it will not be totally accurate but I want to at least try to make it more realistic. Having never built a car of this genre I have no clue so I need as many reference pics as possible. Any and all help is greatly apreciated!

USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Good gravy! In my last post I made reference to the fact that this build will not be "totally accurate"...boy howdy was THAT an understatement! The more research I do the less I like this kit. It will be fine for the fect that I am building it for somebody who will never have a clue as to what it SHOULD look like but then on the other side of the dilema how much do I want to change just to satisfy myself?

I am starting (barely) to do research on the chassis. The front crossmember and motor mounts are all wrong! The fuel tank and bumper mounts are molded in with the frame rails and the rear suspension, differential and drive shaft are completely toylike. I can live with the bumper mounts but the rest I think I might change.

So I guess once I am done with the engine I will be searching for pics of the chassis. How much am I going to have to modify of the body? I hate body work...kinda like getting your &#^% caught in your zipper.

USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Well,world is a cruel one and as psychiatrists say, modellers tend to create their own world. Clean..tidy and perfect.... at least a better place to stay. Here is some homework for ya.At least you can even kick a Pocher kit in the trash can. Desperation grows with the amount of research you're gathering.
    Keeps remembering, what my drill Sergeant said:" Diamonds are made out of carbon and a whole lot of pressure.....excrements are pure carbon too, but as hard as I am pressing, can't
    see nothing brillant here!"

Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by 3.Star; 08-07-12 at 09:54 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    To compare body reference of the kit to other Special Roadsters, check the build at this link. The builder added somewhat inauthentic mesh to the radiator and hood vents. (I posted this above, but the site parsed it so it doesn't work.)

1936 Mercedes Benz 540K 1/16 Revell

Also compare to these shots of the original one-of-a-kind Maharajah version.

Just remember, there were a lot of variations on these, including chassis modifications, and a good many were purchased by special order to the owner's taste. Modern owners have often made their own changes. Based on another thread here, your Pocher kit may be a bit less accurate.
    Last edited by sjordan; 08-08-12 at 01:49 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hello,

Please do not complain that I put in my building report here, but maybe he is interested in you.

Fertig: Mercedes Benz 540 K 1936 - Bauberichte - Das Wettringer Modellbauforum

First the pictures of my engine

www.scale16.de.vu
    the modelkit databank for the scale 1/16
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Wow, keramh, you did have some problems with warped parts, etc. But thank you for the link. Even though I know about 3 words of German, your pictures are very helpful - especially the hinges and chassis/suspension work. Excellent engine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15