Close

Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-03-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Jay Dagless of Norfolk England is the owner of this entirely scratchbuilt 8th scale Porsche 917-10. Jay is a member of another site and has kindly allowed me to post his work here.

Jay has over 1300 hours in this project. Its built with plastic tube, strip and sheet and fibreglass for the body. For the working suspension he used R/C model balljoints for suspension pickups along with scratchbuilt rod end fittings that he made from wire. The disc brakes were drilled and ventilated, each face has 40 holes. The gearbox was built around a basic box section core in four parts - clutch housing, diff housing, gear carrier and end cover. The castings were heavily finned for strength so this was replicated with layers of styrene 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 strip.

Jay made a body buck from thick blue insulating foam and shaped it with filler and plastic, including a small plastic spoon cut in two for the engine cover. It was then given a coating of craft paint mixed with glue as a protective layer. A smear of vaseline was used as a release agent when laying up the matting for the fibreglass body pieces.

Like many of us, Jay uses Evergreen styrene 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 and when bending round tube he inserts a piece of wire and makes the bend. He tries to pin his joints but otherwise just uses glue on the joins, followed by modelling putty 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 for smoothing.

Now, here's the part I love. For a chassis plate, Jay uses a 14"X10" bathroom wall tile and for the fixtures, he uses Lego bricks held down with double sided tape to locate and glue tubes. This way, everything stays square and level.

On behalf of everybody here, I'd like to thank Jay for shareing his photos and his build methods with us. Thanks Jay!!

Lets try to leave this thread open for a while. It really needs to be seen.

Build Photos

8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710044-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710058-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710063-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710064-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710060-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710005-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710020-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710034-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It's definitely a beautifully engineered and executed model. Many many kudos. Thanks Jay for letting Rick show it to us. I love your work.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    All I can say is WOW!
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Absolutely amazing. Lets see more!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    You want more Dan, I'll give you more! Here's a few more photo's of this incredible build.

You'll find this interesting.........the tires were made by rough cutting blue foam to shape with a saw. A small milling cutter in a bench drill was used to get each tire level. Each tire was then spun in the drill and fine emory cloth was used to shape the tire. A woodworking holecutter was used to drill out the center core. Hmmm, might have to try this method for our small street rod tires.

The seat was shaped in foam, a few layers of fibreglass cloth were laid over it and then it was painted.

The tires are they only parts that were "machined". Everything else was fabricated useing a knife, files, saw, pin vice etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images 8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710071-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710074-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710076-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710078-jpg  8th Scale Porsche 917-10-91710081-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    Few comments:

-when combining polyester resin 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 and styrene 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 sheet, be aware of the fact that the styrene 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 sheet (or blue foam) will be dissolved by the polyester. Use a liberal amount of primer 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 /filler and paint with Polyurethane paint. Leave to dry for AT LEAST a week, then seal and wax, then you can make a polyester mould. But be sure about that week of drying time. And do not be tempted to use acrylic 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 paint, as it will stick to the polyester (wax or no wax).
    And always leave the PU paint to cure 8th Scale Porsche 917-10 for a week, did I already mention that?

-About the use of bathroom tiles: great find. Just make sure you check the flatness of the tile. I have jsut retiled my bathroom, and the tiles were slightly bent!
    Also usable is a sheet of normal steel (paint it to prevent corrosion). Use magnets or self adhesive film to attach the drawing of the chassis to the steel, and use square magnets to align things. Plane builders use them.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    :}}.;';';;';
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Make the tires out of blue foam. Now that I can do. That's the best solution so far to my 1/6 scale tire dilemma. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. 917/30Fan's Avatar Member
    Name
    Doug
    Excellent work! Does Jay plan to add markings or sponsorship of any kind to it? Has he been working of anyother Porsche race cars since then one?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Sorry Doug but we haven't heard anything about this model since 2009. I wish I knew what became of the model.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10