Close

TDR Blown Hemi 426
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

TDR Blown Hemi 426 TDR Blown Hemi 426 TDR Blown Hemi 426 TDR Blown Hemi 426 TDR Blown Hemi 426
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-19-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I have the carburetor blown 426 on order. Researched many photos but need some information.

1. None of the photos show a fan so I guess anybody putting one of these in a deuce had a pretty good water pump?

2. None showed the installation of an alternator so are these engines only for dragsters running on battery? The TDR TDR Blown Hemi 426 CAD picture shows the alternator not mounted but laying beside the engine? Will there be interference between the alternator and the blower drive?

3. Will I have to buy a dragster kit to mount this beast??
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Well, this answers the fan question. Big enough radiator, no need for a fan.

Does not answer if there is an interference problem for the alternator on the TDR TDR Blown Hemi 426 kit.

TDR Blown Hemi 426
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Blown Hemi 426-image005-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Let me start with this Syd. I saw (and heard) that Ray Barton hemi powered Rolls at the GNRS last year. Its wild.

If you do some research, you'll find that some blower motor builders use an electric waterpump. I haven't built the TDR426 blower motor but I'm sure the stock waterpump will work.

As for the alternator, it can be mounted lower on the motor or left in the stock location. Also, some builders run it off the driveshaft by mounting a pully system on the rear yoke.

This engine will fit in your deuce just fine. If you want to run a hood, just open a hole in the top of the hood for the carbs and scoop. It'll look cool!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. flamefink's Avatar Active Member
    I saw the Hemi RR at GG Columbus this year, and yes it is wild! Unfortunately, very impractical for fairgrounds and slow speed cruising. He had to park it every few minutes to let it cool off.

As for the water pump/fan situation, I've seen a lot of different setups. It usually depends on the application, space restrictions, and aesthetics.

The one below being the most common.

This is a typical street car set up. Its using a regular set of pulleys behind the blower pulleys. In most cases with a car with a small engine bay like a 32 or model A, it is necessary to run an electric fan. Sometimes you can just barely fit a mechanical fan in there mounted to a spacer on the water pump pulley that would space it out to the area in front of the blower belt.

As Rick said, mounting the alternator under the car on a bracket off the differential and using a pulley mounted to the rear yoke is another alternative. It cleans up the engine bay by getting the alternator out of the way and if you use an electric water pump it also eliminates the need for the second set of pulleys.

You may want to check out the "Hot Heads" website (Hot Heads Research & Racing Early Chrysler Hemi Home). They specialize in Hemis and have a lot of good reference photos on their website. Hope this helps
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks - the (Hot Heads Research & Racing Early Chrysler Hemi Home) site was a wealth of pictures and information.

TDR Blown Hemi 426
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    You can also find good reference photos at "www.hemihaines.com". Click on the photos thread.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    If you can't afford a Rolls for your blown hemi, how about a Mini Cooper?
    Wonder if there is 1/8 Mini kit?

And I thought it was a tight squeeze in the deuce

TDR Blown Hemi 426
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Blown Hemi 426-minicooper-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Holy Schmoley!!! I wanted to do something like that with my PT Cruiser. I wonder how that guy keeps the wheels on the Cooper.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    How come the idler pulley is always on the left? What happens if it is swung to the right?

Quote Originally Posted by flamefink View Post
    As for the water pump/fan situation, I've seen a lot of different setups. It usually depends on the application, space restrictions, and aesthetics.

The one below being the most common.

This is a typical street car set up. Its using a regular set of pulleys behind the blower pulleys. In most cases with a car with a small engine bay like a 32 or model A, it is necessary to run an electric fan. Sometimes you can just barely fit a mechanical fan in there mounted to a spacer on the water pump pulley that would space it out to the area in front of the blower belt.

TDR Blown Hemi 426
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Syd, the idler pulley is always on the passenger side because that is the non tension side of the assembly. The tension side has to be a straight shot and the slack side has the pulley.

Now....if you had a reverse rotation engine.......things could be different. But I have only heard of the left turn guys doing that.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. flamefink's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytonatim View Post
    Now....if you had a reverse rotation engine.......things could be different. But I have only heard of the left turn guys doing that.
    Interesting info Tim. I've never been into the Lefty cars so I had no idea they used reversed engines too. One regular engine and one reversed rotation engine was common on the early twin engined FED's where the motors sat side by side. They ran one of each so they could mesh flywheels to combine power.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thank you for clearing things up. Looking at many reference images it also seems like carburetor detail is really simplified. Throttle and gas line is all that is important?

No environmental doodads, no breathers on the heads. Very straight forward engine mechanics. Just that hanging big blower on top of the manifold. All of the detail problems will be water plumbing TDR Blown Hemi 426 , water pump type, drive and location and alternator position and drive.

Clearly the population of blown hemis was for the drag world not the street world and the easiest model would be for a dragster not a street car.

TDR Blown Hemi 426
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Just screwing around - while waiting for accessory parts TDR TDR Blown Hemi 426 isn't sure yet will be in the blower kit I have been digging into front end assemblies for ideas - seeing as I haven't the faintest idea of how this model would be built in 1:1 TDR Blown Hemi 426 . Thought this was a good illustration of possible detail overkill (it is a flathead not a 426).

TDR Blown Hemi 426
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Blown Hemi 426-hdrp_0511_46_z-flat_head_performance_guide-286ci_street_flathead-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. flamefink's Avatar Active Member
    Syd the pulley setup on that flathead is a basic aftermarket serpentine belt conversion. Its nothing more than the flat multi-grooved belt used on new cars. They use these belts because they have more surface area and better prevent slipping. The setup looks complicated because the routing of a serpentine belt is done so that it utilizes both sides of the belt to drive accessories. This also requires a tensioner like the one seen on blower setups even when a blower isn't used.

Those small blowers lik the one one that flathead usually run a serpentine belt in 1:1 TDR Blown Hemi 426 scale. The 671 in the TDR TDR Blown Hemi 426 kit would typically use a wide Gilmer belt in 1:1 TDR Blown Hemi 426 scale. The photo I posted earlier on this thread shows the typical Gilmer belt drive used on the street. A wide black rubber band would do the job. I believe that's what they give you in the Exterminator dragster kit.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I don't think TDR TDR Blown Hemi 426 has settled yet on what will be included in a blower kit so I am sticking my neck out here and suggesting feed back from the site. I think an air cleaner would be a nice addition. I think the pulleys could be moved forward slightly so a water pump pulley can be added to the block (I plan to attempt scratching this) and I think the alternator is a nice addition although as I guess most of these models might be stand alone displays who cares. Vote your ideas.

Anyway here is the blower kit:

and here it is with a styrene air filter.

I need to texture the air filter. These parts are not assembled yet as I wanted them loose for detailing next.

TDR Blown Hemi 426
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #15