Close

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-27-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I'm going to start this thread by clearing a few skeletons out of the closet and put them in the dumpster where they belong.
      A while back Rick purchased a resin Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body Willys PU body on eBay, looked it over and sent it to me stating do "whatever" you want with it. Cool......that's exactly what I did. The casting Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body had issues common to resin Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body casting Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body in general so I figured this would be a great how to work with resin Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body tutorial, so I did that as well, showing how I would address those problems and passed along a few tips and things I've learned over the years, hopefully it was useful to some of you guys that haven't worked with resin Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body before. I still have the chunks of it sitting in a box collecting dust. END OF THAT PROJECT PERIOD!

Rick along the way asked if I would have a PU cast to share with you guys and I agreed.
      For you folks (non members that have nothing better to do than send out trash emails) shame on you....you should know better. Yes I WILL do a Willys PU for Rick, but make no mistake...it will NOT be a re-pop or use any part of that original casting Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body . I certainly don't need to copy anyone's work. All that being said and done with let's get this pickup in high gear. I'll start posting pics as it progresses along it's merry way.
      Gang please don't respond to this post unless it deals with "OUR" truck as I will have to delete any silliness!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The dark gray example is Rick's eBay purchase, the light gray one is the nose mastered by MF for his coupe and will be used for this PU master. TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body designed a grille and headlight bucket and had masters produced that will work with both MF's coupe and this PU. MF has them. I'll let the pics do the talking. Next up, optional scooped hood and the shortened PU box with cycle stlye fenders. If you want stock type rear fenders MF might be able to help you out with fenders from his coupe. This body is intended to be a 1/8th replica of a glass aftermarket body not a stock Willys truck. Rick will be calling the shots on the cab design, it can stay fairly stock looking or I can build it with a slight chop at the front only to give it a more all business Pro-Street rakish look. It could have a slammed top....you guys can pester Rick about that and I'll do whatever he decides. Besides, if you guys nag him he won't be rattling my cage. With any kind of luck TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body will have the new 426 Hemi close to ready for casting Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body 'bout the same time. That's it for now, build something and have fun.

Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body
    Attached Images Attached Images Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-042-jpg  Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-043-jpg  Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-044-jpg  Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-046-jpg  Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-047-jpg  Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-048-jpg  Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-049-jpg  Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body-rw-050-jpg 
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 07-27-08 at 12:57 PM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    From my perspective on the body, if MF's PU body is the fiberglass one, it definitely is the material of choice over resin Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body . No comparison. The glass body looks as close to injection molding as you can possibly get. The thickness is the biggest difference in my opinion with the second being the surface after casting Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body . MF, you've done a fantastic job on that body. Don, I'm glad you put this on the site. The pictures do put the matter to rest once and for all. Thanks.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I bought the beast on Ebay because it was something new and I could see great possibilities. Unfortunatly, what I got was, well, lets put it this way........to suggest that this body had "issues" is an understatement. The body was wrong dimensionally and in thickness and it had no style. Have a good look at Don's photo on the bottom left. Compare the thickness of my Ebay purchase to the one that MF has laid up in glass. The body was just bad all round.

I sent the body to Don, expecting to hear back that he'd thrown the body out with the trash. With much thanks to Don, he took an interest in saveing the body and along with help from the MF, we're getting close to offering it for sale. I'm proposing we offer it in two versions:

Version One
    Stock cab and nose with opening hood or optional tilt nose.

Version Two
    Chopped cab with tilt nose and optional hood scoop or optional stock nose with opening hood.

In regards to the pickup box, I'm asking Don to do a tutorial on building the box. The tutorial will come with whatever version a person buys. This way, the builder can pick his own length and if wanted add modifications. Cycle style fenders are an easy build or hopefully the MF will supply stock rear fenders.

I think that if we start with two simple versions along with a tutorial on the box, we can get this thing to market a lot sooner, probably even before the Hemi is ready. If its popular, we will take the next step by offering more options.

Anybody excited about this new body?
    Last edited by Rick; 07-28-08 at 12:24 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Yeah, I'm definitely excited. It's a brand new master, a brand new product and a first rate piece of work mastered by Madd Fabricator.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Q: I was asked why I didn't just lop off the back of one of MF's coupes and lay up a new back or just run it through TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body ?

A: Sure.....I could do either of those, no problem.
    Guys, keep in mind I'm an ol' school analog kind of guy as are of lot of you....plain and simple...I love scratch building, call it therapy.

Yes MF said it was cool to use his coupe front-end, that allows interchangeability of parts between the coupe and PU without us duplicating each other.

There are a few differences between the coupe and PU other than the obvious, for instance, if you look at the upper rear corner of the door on the coupe compared to the pickup you'll see what I mean.
    I'm going to fudge on scale a bit in a few areas to suit my eyeball more than anything else and to also set it up so that it can be laid up in glass or cast in light weight resin Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body . One of the hoods will include a lower belt line as well. It ain't rocket science so it won't be an exact replica. I'm trying to please as many folks as I can in one go around.
    After they are cast I'd like to build one for myself as a custom stake bed.

Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. If you have ever looked at any real fberglass Willys cars or trucks of the 60s gasser era. None of them are exact. I think this will be a fantastic addition for our growing arsonial of 1/8 madness! I told alot of folks about the goings on here over the weekend modelers as well as 1/1 Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body guys and it is starting to catch a little buzz. But it is up to them to log on and check it out!
    It's a fine line between stupid and cleaver....
    David St. Hubbins "Spinal Tap"
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    We've decided to add the Willys pickup to the TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body product line. The only thing thats holding us up from getting it to market is finishing the cab, and whether we do it in glass or resin Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body . Ideally, it will be done in glass. Don's talking to a couple of guys about casting Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body it and we should have it sorted out in the next few days.

Creating a product like this takes time guys, so please bear with us. We're probably looking at least a month down the modellers highway until we can get it to market, but it'll be worth the wait. Our hope is that the truck and the Hemi will be ready at the same time.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    I keep hearing about TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body , but have been unable to find a web site.
    I am new here, so it seems I need to edumacated!
    Who, what, where is TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body ?

The Willys idea sounds like a grand project.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. MojoDoctor's Avatar Active Member
    Tage, check the following thread for more info about TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body Innovations.

Lots of neat stuff is expected from these modelers!

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2248
    [B]Matt[/B]
    Experience is what you get when you were experiencing something else!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Tage, TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body Innovations is a new venture started by Tim, Don and Rick, all members of this site. Our goal is to produce high quality 8th scale parts for the modelling (cars, bikes, planes and boats) community. Currently nearing the production stage is an Allison and an Offy. Following that will be a collection of smaller size street rod wheels and tires that will fit under a full fendered build, adding an extra drop and cleaning up "the look". Next up will be a fully accessorized Hemi. Also in the works is an IFS/IRS and a Merc sedan. The Willys pickup is very close to going to a caster so with luck, it will be availiable in the next 4-6 weeks, hopefully at the same time the Hemi is ready.

TDR Willys Drag/Pro-Street PU Body products are designed and created by modellers and nothing will go out the door that we wouldn't be proud to use ourselves. Because this is a new venture, we are still getting our feet wet and trying to connect with all the right people in the industry. We are currently seeking someone to cast our first two products and if all goes well we hope to have products on the shelf in the next month to six weeks. As for a web site, its still a bit early for that, but its in the discussion stage.

In the meantime, watch this site for updates and further announcements. If you have any suggestions as to future products you'd like to see us produce, please contact me via the site mail system.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    This is just what 1/8th scale really needs........a good parts hauler.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #12