Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-10-18 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

The plan is to build a 1/8th scale Grand Prix car of 1927, the Delage 15-S-8.

Measurements were taken, now I'll have to turn those into a 3D drawing. After that the building can begin... but we're a long way from that. It is my current intention to make a video log of my progress, as that seems to facilitate both explanation and understanding of what I'm doing.

Hope you'll enjoy!

This is the subject at hand:

And the first video:

Delage 15-S-8 Grand Prix (1/8)
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Thank you very much Don!
    fascinating indeed...
    I don't what metal is used by watchmakers, the white one?

Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I wonder too. Some cheap watches are using brass, but most probably the high end not. Anyway, the tool used was cutting well!
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    I had not expected any comments before my next reply, discussing the reactions about the LH engine linkage, which I will probably do in a week or two after the current extreme busyness in my professional job will have come to an end.

Meanwhile... great video, thanks for that Don. Yes that engine-turned effect is what I'm looking for. It seems the 'swirls' on the watch are a tad too large for my purposes though. They really need to be very small... but I think I already found the solution to that problem. Preliminary tests had (finally) proven successful after some 30 failed attempts. I'll come back on that in due time.

Last edited by Roy vd M.; 01-25-19 at 07:39 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    An idea for your brake lining: you will probably not use the brakes while pushing the car (but who knows…). You just want to avoid the annoying noise of metal to metal friction. For my own models, I'm gluing Delage 15-S-8 Grand Prix (1/8) a bit of...paper. Thin leather would be suitable too, especially for an hand brake.
    The emergency brakes of the Toronado are still functioning like a charm after 40 years, but, as I noted somewhere else, with a total mileage of some feet!
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Hi Roy I think the valve in the buttom is for oilperssure, open at low rpm and cloused at high rpm for higher pressure, the other to the carb could be change of gas mixture at full speed, could this be it ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    I collected all reactions from four forums here but now I find I can't copy and post the quotes here. So those who are looking for an overview of opinions on the 'two rods'-subject, please click the above link and then please come back here :)

It looks like the mystery of the hand brake-rod can't be deemed solved yet. Peter's statement does not (yet) convince me, because the rod seems to be moveable and it appears to set something in motion. Unfortunately Revs Institute hasn't succeeded (upon very kindly trying) to make good detail photos... this part of the car is almost out of reach, there are oil lines right in front of it. But Eventually I expect we'll figure it out together... probably it's going to be a matter of deductive reasoning.

As regards the other rod, most respondents assume it has something to do with lubrication handling. Eventually I concluded, inspired by Cresswell's drawing, that finding out what's the purpose of the rod is less important than I originally thought; there is no intra-engine connection going on as it seems. Therefore for building the model it's not really relevant what its purpose is, after all. It's sufficient to have it moveable.

I have made quite a bit of progress processing and sorting the photographs and videos, after which I'll be able to reprise the drawing process. After a period of great busyness at work, I was now looking much forward to this... but now I received a building permit for my bathroom, one month early. I'm not complaining though! So I'll focus on that, while modestly continuing and finalising the sorting / organising work regarding the photos, drawing, videos et cetera.

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    It seems that you have a similar approach than me regarding the real vehicle and its various functions: even if those functions are irrelevant for the scale model, would like to know their purpose.
    Good luck with your bathroom project!
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    @Roger: yes I would like to know what the function of everything is. To me machining parts or painting them is only part of the process... it's an adventure altogether in which much can be learned. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy studying your thread so much. By the way I've still not finalised going through it, I'm approximately at 90% though. Meanwhile I also like to read books, other reports etc., but once finished reading I'll surely write a comment. It's simply a grand masterpiece.

-----------

The seventh vlog is ready. Because I intend to document as well as I can how the drawing- and build processes go, it is inevitable to give an overview of how I sort all reference photos, videos, drawings et cetera. This is my first video that may appeal to a somewhat wider audience of modellers, because it consists tips on how to arrange a large database of 'walkaround stuff' in such way that the files can be easily browsed, located and accessed.

Click on the 'Youtube' logo, next on the visor to play the video fullscreen. Questions / remarks are always very welcome!

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very impressive! Where I work, our engineers have a similar way to organize a car build.

You are an engine of creativity!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    In that aspect, we are more or less both "functioning" the same way: to understand the function of one element allows a more accurate reproduction. In my case, it's mostly the body which was interesting by knowing what is welded first and what is the next step? As I worked on an assembly plant and restored 3 real cars, the process is rather easy to understand. However, I managed to do some errors!
    Your picture's classification is very elaborate; I did differently which led mostly be searching a lot!
    Good luck with your project.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41