Close

Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-07-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hey gang, here's the tutorial I promised on how to use wax to make the casting How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler numbers on the model parts.

A good, hard wax can be used like molten plastic but will handle a lot easier. The same technique is used by dental lab technicians to fabricate all of the cast metal parts like dental crowns and bridges. Don't worry if you can't get this technique down right away. Like every good technique, there is a learning curve. It just requires some practice. You can basically use any kind of wax you can find. The harder the better but even hard candle wax will work and that's fairly cheap and available. Check out places like hobby lobby or Michael's where they sell candle making supplies.

Picture 1 shows the wax dripping instruments. They're both basically the same but just different sizes for different amounts of wax to be dripped. You can make these easily enough from broken dental instruments that you can get from your dentist or you can bend a piece of steel rod, contour the tip and insert it into a pin vise How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler or other holder. The thinner How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler you make it, the smaller the drop of wax the instrument will carry so you may want to make several different sizes depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Picture 2 demonstrates the start of the procedure. As you can see, we've added a torch which can be either propane or butane. The flame should be blue not yellow. Also stay away from candle flames because it produces too much soot which will dirty up your wax. If you have a gas stove, that would work well also. Heat your tip in the flame and touch it to the wax. You should be able to pick up a drop of wax. You may want to experiment with the heating time which is really no longer than a second or two to see how the wax behaves. Practice that until you can pick up a nice drop consistently.

Picture 3 is next. Then put your instrument into the flame for a microsecond and touch the area you want to wax to go. This part also takes some practice until you get your consistency just right. Continue adding wax to your model part until the area is a bit larger than you want if you're making numbers. If you're using the wax as a filler, add until the area is slightly over filled.

Picture 4 is what your waxed area should look like, i.e. a blob of wax on the part.

Picture 5 - Next, you're going to cut the wax down with a chisel or knife to a uniform thickness or height. If you're filling a small area, you'll trim the wax as close as you can and use a piece of nylon cloth or silk like you would use sandpaper and finish the area. For numbers, don't cut the wax too low.

Picture 6 - At this point, we trim our wax "blob" until it's a rectangle with the knife or chisel.

Picture 7 - Here's where the fun starts. Using magnification, you remove the excess wax with a sharp dental pick or bent needle in a holder or pin vise How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler by gentle scraping How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler until only the number is left. If you make a mistake, redrip the wax, trim and try it again.

Picture 8 shows what's left after you remove your wax from around the numbers. When you're done, prime and paint. Your numbers should look fairly good.

In order to do this subject justice, it really should be done on video which unfortunately at this time I can't do. I will however at some point when I figure out how to do it, I'll add it to the tutorials. Ask all the questions you want. I'll try to clear up any confusion you may have.

Build Photos

How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-1-jpg  How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-2-jpg  How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-3-jpg  How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-4-jpg  How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-5-jpg  How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-6-jpg  How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-7-jpg  How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler-wax-8-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Great job Jeff.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Don. I get to go home today so in a few days I'll be able to use the camera to replace some of the drawings. It can be a difficult technique to figure out without actually seeing it done on a video. That'll come a bit later.

How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Don't sweat it, it makes perfect sense.......drip the wax, get a big magnifying glass and whittle the numbers....I'm going to try it in solder on a metal part just to see what happens. Got crayons?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It should work with solder also. It's just a matter of , as you say, whittling.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Havin' fun yet?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Is dental wax different than candle wax? Does paint go on wax okay or do you need to do something to prep it first?
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The difference is that dental wax sometimes is better because it is generally harder. If you can find a wax that is pretty solid, you can use that also. Some beeswax preparations are pretty good. The reason I use dental wax is because about 6 months before I decided to retire, I bought 3 boxes of dental wax and wasn't going to let me boss have it. I knew I could use it as filler. If you have some hard crayons, they work pretty well also and that's the truth.

As far as paint sticking to the wax, I usually use the wax for very small areas. If I have to alter larger areas, then I'll use a regular 2 part putty How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler . For making casting How to Work with Wax for Numbers or Filler numbers, just shoot the paint as you normally would and don't handle the area after it's painted. As long as the wax is not under stress, the paint will stay on well. If you need more info on the technique, let me know and I'll fill in whatever gaps I left. It's a great technique and relatively easy to do.

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Thanks, a technique was pretty straightforward, I just wasn’t sure how well paint stuck to it. Never thought of using it as a filler. I have used Elmer’s as a filler in really small spots before, you just want to wipe the excess away before it dries.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9