Close

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Over the past year, our site has held some pretty good events. Some have included small scale and non members while others have been restricted to members only and large scale. I think everyone will agree that the quality of all entry's has been outstanding.

The guys at SMC and TDR The Future of SMC Events want to continue putting on shows and we have some themes in mind. There could even be some awards. As with any event, it takes time and sometimes money to do these things and if we're not going to get a lot of participation, we may need to rethink whether or not we put these shows on.

We'd appreciate your input and I'd like you to consider the following questions when you post.

1. Are you happy with including vehicles, planes and boats in one show or would you prefer seperate shows for each?

2. Do you prefer a members only show or should it be open to anyone?

3. Would you prefer show's that offer awards or shows that are display only?

4. Are you willing to supply or solicit awards?

5. Would you prefer one yearly show or several theme shows per year?

Your response to this questionaire will determine what we do in the way of on site shows in the future. In addition to answering the questions, feel free to add your own comments.

Thanks!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Rick,
    In response to your questions:

[I]1. Are you happy with including vehicles, planes and boats in one show or would you prefer seperate shows for each?[/I]
    I don't mind having anything in the shows.

[I]2. Do you prefer a members only show or should it be open to anyone?[/I]
    I feel that at least most of the shows should be members only. Anyone can always sign up if they want to post.

[I]3. Would you prefer show's that offer awards or shows that are display only?[/I]
    Although I do enjoy the awards, I know it's difficult to come up with prizes for the contests, and I really just enjoy seeing all the models on display.

[I]4. Are you willing to supply or solicit awards?[/I]
    I don't think I have any connections to solicit awards, and unfortunately I don't think I have the resources to supply them either. Hence my answer to number 3. I know most people are in the same boat as me.
    [I]
    5. Would you prefer one yearly show or several theme shows per year?[/I]
    I love seeing the shows, but at the same time, every day is like a show on this site. I think however many shows you guys are comfortable with putting on sounds good to me.

As a follow up, I wish there was a way to get a little more participation in these events. Maybe letting them run longer would help? While I really enjoy seeing all the guys post their stuff, I'm really curious to see what everyone else is doing too. Overall, you guys are doing a great job.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I agree 100% with everything that Steve has so eloquently stated.

As a comment, the only suggestion I have to offer is I would like to see ONE big mutha show, all categories ONCE a year with SMC and TDR The Future of SMC Events trophies awarded. That would give the guys a year to do a build and a trophy to add to their collection.

3 other (not contest) dog and pony shows spread out through the year 3 or 4 months apart. Engines, T's, small scale, etc.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's my take on the issue.

Question 1. All types of vehicles should be promoted. I think there should be a mix of show types, i.e. some shows dedicated to all vehicles like the one we just had and some dedicated to only one vehicle type. The types of shows that can include all vehicles would be best paint, best design concept, etc. The other types are self explanatory.

Question 2. The shows should generally be limited to members only. Every once in a while though we could have a show where we invite members only of a different site like Large Scale Planes to foster good will between sites and promote the large scale hobby. As far as non members, they should be encouraged to sign up and become members. There are definite benefits of membership.

Question 3. Unless we can get a good supply of prizes, we should have one or two shows that are display only. Good prizes expecially gift certificates usually encourage more participation.

Question 4. I can provide prizes on a limited basis. My TDR The Future of SMC Events 426 will be offered as a prize.

Question 5. I think several shows per year would promote more interest.

Hope this helps somewhat. I know some of the answers may seem vague, but I don't believe those areas are purely black and white. It provides some variation.
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 04-20-09 at 01:50 PM.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Thanks guys, your input helps a lot. Lets hear from more of you. We've got some plans happening behind the scenes and we could use more input from our many members.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    I would just echo what Steve and Don said.

I would like to see advance notice of 30 days, and more than a weekend to submit your photos.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Thanks guys! I had hoped we'd hear from a few more members, but your contributions have been very helpfull.

Dan has a couple of projects happening that will be announced in comming months. TDR The Future of SMC Events also has some show idea's that are being kicked around so please stay tuned. There will be future events here on site and they will be exciting.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. troppo's Avatar Established Member
    I feel kinda guilty posting here due to my long absences but i agree with the thoughts posted so far.
    Any chance to look at the incredible work you guys have done is worth the time and i get so many new ideas, my "i want to build one" list has grown every time i have come in here.
    Now that i have a few problems sorted i will be back in here on a much more regular basis.
    Cheers
    Troppo
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Don't worry about feeling guilty, troppo. We're just glad to have you here. :)'
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9