Close

Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 200.00 USD (39%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-18-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Thought some of you here might be interested in some pics of a restoration I'm doing for a customer ,
      it's a Brass 1/12th scale Mercedes SSK made by an early 60's high end of the market model train manufacturer .
      The model was stuffed when I received it , the left hand chassis rail was pushed in and and almost meet the right hand chassis rail , I also scratch built Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration a new fuel tank in brass as the original was missing
      I also scratch built Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration 2 more wheels to fit as spares on the back of the car these were also missing as well as a myriad of other smaller parts , but it's slowly coming together although I've once again severely under quoted myself again !! it's proving to be a lot more work than I first anticipated!

Sean

Build Photos

Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03190-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03191-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03192-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03193-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03196-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03197-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03198-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03199-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Don't beat yourself up too badly Sean, restoration work can be very difficult to estimate. Until you have a chance to break the thing down and find all the hidden surprises you really are just guessing.
    Looks like you have an interesting car to work with at least. I'd like to see more of this one as it progresses.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Guess your right there Don ! I'll keep you updated on it's progress

sean

Last edited by modelmaker; 02-14-09 at 04:01 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Man, that's a beautiful chassis.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Thanks Guido belive me it's been a very long haul to get the chassis looking this good !
    I'll post some more pics tommorrow night !

Sean

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Ok so I cheated alittle I resin Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration cast a number of the missing Items as I figured when the model is finished and the parts are painted no one will be anymore the wiser if the missing parts are metal or resin Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration !
    Pictured is a resin Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration replacement number plate and foot pedal as well as the missing exhaust manifold.
    the snake pit Exhaust pictured in brass as well as the tailshaft are also another one of my scratchbuilding efforts all this was also missing from the model !

Sean

Attached Images Attached Images Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03109-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03108-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03106-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03110-jpg  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-dsc03112-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    This isn't the same one that came up on Ebay last year is it? I think that one sold for a around 2 grand. Don't remember the maker but I remembers a bunch of interest in it. If I had the money I would have jumped in, but....

That restoration is looking great and don't beat yourself up. Ive restored plenty of cars to only later sell them for less then I had into them.

Please do post more I love seeing how these brass models are put together. Thanks for posting.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-ssk-1-bmp  Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration-ssk-2-bmp 
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Looking really good Sean. Sounds like the chassis was rolled over by something. You did a great job straightening it out.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I just uploaded all the pictures I had for this model, Check the gallery for the rest.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Thanks nice pics Dan but no the car I have looked alot worse than that ! damn it I should've taken pics of it The left hand chassis rail on this one was pushed in on the left side and both spare wheels were missing it also had alot more missing paint!
    its great working with metal all I had to do was unsrew it and put the individual size screws into different containers then throw all the parts into my thinners bath for a few hours and presto !!! You can't do that with plastic

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    That was a cheap shot.........I'm tellin' Jeff.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oooohhh what he said ! Is he makin' a crack? Is he wisecrackin'? You talkin' to me? Did he just say something about my favorite artists' medium of styrene Fulgerex Mercedes SSK Restoration ??? You can actually do that with plastic. Of course when you're done you have nothing but garbage in the bowl but that's beside the point.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Na sorry jeff no pun intended !!

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    There's a few 1/12 scale kits on ebay of the SSK. One is a modern kit with a Vette motor. Made by Entex I beleive. I think they're plastic kits. No bids on them yet.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Never a problem Sean. Just having a liitle fun with you.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15