Close

Help with Pocher Mercedes
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Help with Pocher Mercedes Help with Pocher Mercedes Help with Pocher Mercedes Help with Pocher Mercedes Help with Pocher Mercedes
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: Feb 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-17-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am almost finished with my Fiat K70. I will try to post pictures very soon. I would like to do a Mercedes next, but was told that there are some kits that do not have all the parts that the older kits have. I would like to get a kit with all the extras. Can anyone help me identify the better Mercedes kits. There is a K/74 on Ebay but it says it has plastic wheels. I am not sure if this is the kit that has the parts or not. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    There is a K/74 on Ebay but it says it has plastic wheels.
    That is the newer kit without the (metal) extras
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello,

As far as I know, the K 74 was the first Mercedes to be released and provided the metal spoke wheels. First Benz with plastic wheels was K 91 True Roadster. All following issues
    were using the plastic version ( K94 and K95 chrome plated Help with Pocher Mercedes ). As well the K 91 and further
    did not contain several metal parts of the engine accessories.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    What I cannot understand is that one kit(the all white box) the seller says that it is the K74 but says it has plastic wheels and there is another kit with a dark colored box that is marked K74 and the seller of that one says has the metal wire wheels.

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    I guess what I mean is are there two different versions of the K74 Mercedes and if so, are there any differences. I really do not want to get the one without all the extra parts.

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Stay away from the K-74 True Roadster. IMHO it was the worst of Pocher kits. Poor quality parts and those dreaded wheels.

Protar Guy posted a tutorial rebuilding a set of plastic motorcycle wheels that could prove valuable if you do end up with the K-74. Great step by step replacing plastic with metal.

As for the other metal parts missing thats not as big an issue since you'll more then likely be replacing or upgrading those parts anyway.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. protarguy's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars View Post
    Stay away from the K-74 True Roadster. IMHO it was the worst of Pocher kits. Poor quality parts and those dreaded wheels.

Protar Guy posted a tutorial rebuilding a set of plastic motorcycle wheels that could prove valuable if you do end up with the K-74. Great step by step replacing plastic with metal.

As for the other metal parts missing thats not as big an issue since you'll more then likely be replacing or upgrading those parts anyway.
    Thanks for the tip. I got the kit in my stash. But you´re right the kit does not have all the details of the earlier releases. The hand brake mechanism is simplified and the engine does not have the interior parts. My kit was half way built and I bought it for 20 (twenty) Euros. Some kind of compensation......

I did not try my method of respoking the wheels on this kit. It is very time consuming and you have six wheels on this car.
    On Ebay Germany there are often replacement parts for Pocher kits like wheels etc.
    If you want to compare the kits you can have a look at the manuals here:
    Pocher Manuals

Good luck !
    Uli
    Last edited by protarguy; 02-18-09 at 03:29 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    www.pocher.net: Pocher models; exclusive Pocher model car kits scale 1/8

Here you see the different wheels side by side.

Somewhere there is a manual on the Mercedes wheels for converting them to metal wire wheels. Basicly the same procedure as Protarguy is doing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Which of the Mercedes are the better ones?

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. protarguy's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    Somewhere there is a manual on the Mercedes wheels for converting them to metal wire wheels. Basicly the same procedure as Protarguy is doing...
    You mean this:
    Pocher Plastic Wheels

Uli
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hi,

I recently built a Pocher K74 Mercedes, and kept an extensive build log somewhere on this website in the Pocher section. I thought it was a fabulous kit, far more challenging and rewarding than the Alfa K73 which was my first Pocher.

The Pocher Mercedes kits are available in two body styles, the cabriolet and the rumble top. Cabriolets are black (K74) and red (K80- rare and expensive). Rumble tops are more expensive because of their rarity.

I suggest you go for the K74. It is a great kit. I customized mine quite heavily and was very happy with the result.

As for the plastic versus metal wheels, Pocher re-issued the Mercedes kits with plastic wheels later on. Cabriolet K91, Rumble top K93 and K95. The body style on K91 is also slightly different.

For me, the wheels are one of the best parts of a Pocher so grab a metal wheel kit if you can.

All the best,
    Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. I read all the pages of your posting. That is what turned me on to the Mercedes. I a, very partial to vintage racing and wanted to do the Alfa but after reading about how much fun it was doing the Mercedes, I decided to try the K74 next. There are 3 on ebay now. All three are K74s but two have the same box and one has a different box. They said the the spokes are steel but one said that the wheels are plastic. Is it true that the wheels are plastic and the spokes are steel? Also, I have Paul Koo's Mercedes CD and he said that some of the Mercedes kits have deleted parts. I want to build the one with all the parts. Am I safe with either K74(white box and black box)? I am also kind of worried about missing parts. :)'

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Sorry. The 2 K74s I am talking about is one is in a white box and the other is in a yellowish box.

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The white box is an earlier edition of the kit. All three have metal-spoked wheels, although you may be getting confused as the rings that hold the spokes are plastic on ALL kits. So it is true to say that even on the older metal-spoked kits, the wheels contain some plastic components, although they are hidden.

I would not be overly concerned about the condition of the foam, seat material etc.as mentioned in one of the Ebay postings as this is absolutely the first part which needs to be replaced in any Pocher. The kit-supplied seats are garbage. Model Motorcars Help with Pocher Mercedes has some great replacements which I used. I also replaced the sticker sheet with an excellent one from Scale Motorcars.

You are safe with any of the three kits. Go for it and if you have any questions or missing parts, I can help you. Under $500 would be a very good price for a new kit. I think I paid $600 but that was when the economy was stronger.

Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks for the info. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I get one. I will let you know what happens. :)'

QUOTE QUOTE #15