Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-07-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Thought I'd go a little up-market with this camper:

Started with 4 layers of pink foam, and I've got about 4 hours of shaping and sanding 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) in so far. Next step is the fiberglass skin, and that means more sanding 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) !

Yay sanding 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) !

This one won't get an interior.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    veeery cool!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've been waiting for you to do one of these. What are you going to have hauling it around?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. It's a contract build for a guy who owns a campground. I think he's going to pull it with a Tamiya 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) Land Cruiser.

Fiberglass is going on, 2 sides are done, 4 to go. The spray adhesive I used to hold the layers together failed, so I had the guys at the LHS 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) shrink-wrap it. So there's a layer of plastic between the foam and the glass.

Once the glass is on I'll gloop some Icing on and then it's a sanding 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) festival.

16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build)
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    OBH, are you using fiberglas resin 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) and gel coat? Back in the day for production prototypes we used expoxy resin 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) with fiberglas cloth and then painted on the epoxy 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) gel coat on the outside; much easier to sand 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) than fiberglas resin 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) . For flat surfaces and to make sheets we would use mold release 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) on 1/4" thick glass lay a resin 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) imprenated fiberglas cloth sheet flat on the mold relase and then lay a second sheet of glass with mold relase on top; laying it down slowly from one side to minimize trapped air. The result was two sides smooth. Any air bubbles that may have been trapped were easily filled with gelcoat. If a spefic thickness was needed we just used spacers and enough layers of cloth to get the thickness.

On your trailer sides which appear flat spray mold release 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) on the glass, brush the gel coat on the side only and lay flat on the glass and let cure 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) . Add a little weight if necessary, should end up with a fairly flat surface when done. The overflow edges should sand 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) off real easy to blend into curve.

The beauty of the epoxy 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) is it is fast, easy to work and repair and does not smell bad like the fiberglas stryrene monomer.

Another cost effective mixture is to use Bondo body putty 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) thinned with fiberglas resin 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) to desired consistency and imprenate the glass with it. This also works for making hard molds and parts quickly; just watch for the shrinkage. You can use the Bondo cream hardner to kick it off as a liquid.

Ken

Here is a link to epoxy 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) supplier in Cleveland http://www.kindt-collins.com/catalog_pdfs/12-18.PDF
    Last edited by xken; 04-10-10 at 08:50 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Another cost effective mixture is to use Bondo body putty 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) thinned with fiberglas resin 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) to desired consistency and imprenate the glass with it. This also works for making hard molds and parts quickly; just watch for the shrinkage. You can use the Bondo cream hardner to kick it off as a liquid.
    That's closer to what I have planned. Although the sides are flat now, the 1:1 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) Airstreams have slightly curved sides. Once the glass is hard enough, I'll coat the whole thing with USC Icing (similar to Evercoat, it's a 2-part polyester putty 16-slice Art Deco toaster (Airstream trailer build) ) to get the final shape. It sands about as easy as gelcoat, and anyway I'm using a power sander. The fiberglass is just there to protect the foam, as the solvents in the Icing will turn it into a pink, gooey mess in short order.

Just about done with the glass, it needs to harden for a couple days and then I'll gloop the Icing on. Once that's all shaped it'll either get some chrome paint or chrome Monokote airplane covering. Monokote would hold up to handling better, but I'm not sure what's needed to glue stuff to it. I'll experiment some before I get to that stage.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It looks like an old Art Deco radio my folks had. I've used Icing before. It has a really smooth surface but it really stinks up the work area. I still recommend it since it does as well as Evercoat.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Got the fenders and front window cut out:

There's still a few pinholes & voids to fill, but the major work is done.

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I think I can see the final shape already there. I know which type you're talking about now.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Yep, the Flying Cloud.

Made an axle:

15/32 brass tube with 5x11 bushings crimped in place with the tubing cutter, Mini Cooper rear stub axles. I can put some bigger tires on if needed, but I like the look of the Vintage tires.

Threw some paint on to see where the problem areas are. There's a disheartening number of them. Also framed in the windows. Ride height looks pretty good, but again it can be changed. Nothing is set in stone yet.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. No turning back now, it's time for the Mexican chrome!

I'm going to let it get good and dry before I try to handle it. This paint takes a few days to set and fingerprints last forever.

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. jfonticobal's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Javier
    I couldnエt understand wath does "Mexican" Chrome minds.

Would you explain me?

Is it a special process?

Regards,

Javier Fonticoba
    Last edited by jfonticobal; 04-24-10 at 03:06 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by jfonticobal View Post
    I couldnエt understand wath does "Mexican" Chrome minds.

Would you explain me?

Is it a special process?

Regards,

Javier Fonticoba
    Fun term for paint instead of real chrome.

There are Irish, Polish, etc. fun terms used in a joking manner so hopfully we won't get too politicaly correct here.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    They may be fun terms just as long as it doesn't offend anyone. That would not be good.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. No offense intended to our South American members.

"Mexican chrome" is just a term we use for chrome paint. In this case, it's Krylon Metal Effects Silver Leaf.

QUOTE QUOTE #15