Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-21-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Just in case anyone missed the intro post, I will add just the most important things about these model I built some time ago.

First up was this Willys MB which I built out of aluminum, using a very simple plan for a paper model which went through a lot of corrections. I learned it's not the best one the hard way, when I started researching for other models and also hunting 1:1s because they are the ones that got me into building models. It sounds strange, but currently the prices for them are too high, we don't have any parts here and restoring one as it should be done is years away. For now, models will do just fine. Back to the model... After doing some of the 'easy' stuff a soon faced other problems. First I was lucky on finding a beginners airbrush 1:16 Willys MB & 3B (with a jar) and I was so happy, then it was the Olive Drab paint and the biggest problem the tires. I got them from my neighbor, who is now well over 70 and he has been in model buildings on and off his entire life. They are really bad, definetly wrong but they will stay for sentimental reasons. On to the pics...

I was very pleased with how it turned out, given the fact I was using just handtools and materials I could find home. During the search for some things I started building another popular Willys, the 3B.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    Here is the CJ 3B. The difference between the two (other than the age obviosly) is that the 3B had the F-Head engine which needed more space and got nicknamed High Hood. This time I added more details, especially underneath with axels, springs, bolts and shocks. My favorite part is the lettering on the hood and up front. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do it on the tailgate. Here's some pics of the model

here is the frame

and this is my "workshop" which looks more like an office

the completed model

I'll add this photo with my Jeep (actually a Mahindra) in the background to give a hint on what's currently in progress. This model has been WIP 1:16 Willys MB & 3B for couple of months now so I'll rewind fwd in it's own thread which I'll start soon.

QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    After building these two Jeeps, I tried a different approach when building this Wrangler YJ. First I tried to find a proper plan which is crucial for building a good model. I also set myself some kind of rules not to rush and treat every detail the same. So it began...

With this build I first used styrene 1:16 Willys MB & 3B so it was a learning experience. Working with it is harder than I thought so I admire people who do exceptional stuff with it.

I think I couldn't have done the fender flares any better. Same goes for the seats

This Jeep is still not finished.
    Last edited by JeepMkd; 11-21-11 at 09:45 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Outstanding stuff there. JeepMkd. I like them all but I've driven the Army 1:1 1:16 Willys MB & 3B jeep back in the day, so it's my favorite. Your craftmanship is first class, all the way. Ken
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    I have been working these days so here's a little update on the Wrangler.
    I got myself a Dremel 1:16 Willys MB & 3B Versatip because I want to try building with brass as soldered joints are much stronger than glued aluminum. I'm still waiting for brass sheets, so I found brass wire (for tig welding probably), some tubes and profiles and built my first part which is this roll bar.

I love how it turned out and it wasn't really difficult once you get the hang of it. A third hand 1:16 Willys MB & 3B tool helps a lot.

Today I proceeded with a little detailing in the interior. I built the trim panels on the doors from aluminum sheet and added details.

Interiors starts to get a bit crowded and doesn't look too bad.

Maybe it's not the finest build on the forum, but I'm trying to get better as I go.
    I'm learning so much from you guys so I really hope my builds would help someone else too.

The Mahindra CJ4 is on hold till I finish the Wrangler because I started it in 2009 and I can't wait to see it done.
    Last edited by JeepMkd; 06-09-12 at 11:47 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    Wow, great start! Who cares if its not the finest build on the forum. Its way better than I can do (not too hard ;) ), and it looks just like the real thing!

Everyone starts somewhere, soon you will be as good as the others! Its amazing what you can do just with a couple of tools...
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    It's been a long time since I've put some paint over my models.
    I think I made a mistake this time because I was testing a cheap electric spray gun. It isn't as refined as an air brush so I might need to redo my paint job later on. I painted the frame and the roll bar in matte black.

Cheers from sunny Macedonia
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    Today for lunch I had a Wrangler YJ dashboard and a lot of styrene 1:16 Willys MB & 3B dust ... A well spent afternoon today:

Here's what I'm trying to replicate:

Gages will be printed and glued to the back side along with some transparent foil.
    Hopefully I will make the steering wheel tomorrow. Till then, enjoy the photos
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    Double post
    Last edited by JeepMkd; 06-19-12 at 01:18 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    Little bits came next, steering wheel and shifters for the gearbox and transfer case.

This was a first for me, carpets. I cut them with my newly acquired Dremel 1:16 Willys MB & 3B Versatip, I'm very very pleased with its performance.

Next up are the clutch, brake and gas pedals. I think I'll build the tail light buckets today and start the headlights.

I need help on deciding what color it should be. I first thought painting it white, but the silver interior and silver carpet wouldn't stand out. What do you think of metallic 1:16 Willys MB & 3B blue, similar to Subaru Racing Blue?
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. buickgnx88's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jordan
    That Wrangler's looking good! I'm also in the process of building a 1/12 scale YJ, though I've only gotten the chassis done and have been trying to build the axles. Course mine is going to be completely out of styrene 1:16 Willys MB & 3B , and it's been set aside for the time being to work on other projects.
    -Jordan White-
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    Thanks Jordan, I'd love to see your build.
    YJ's are not very common models even in the diecast world, the best body out there is the 1/10 Tamiya 1:16 Willys MB & 3B RC.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. buickgnx88's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jordan
    Yeah the only produced model I know of is the old 1/24 Tamiya 1:16 Willys MB & 3B kits, which I was lucky to snag one of on ebay a while back.
    -Jordan White-
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. JonathanPoll's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jonathan
    hmmm... IMO metallic 1:16 Willys MB & 3B blue will look completely wrong, I think it will make it more as if it was "pimped up"!

Maybe greenish brown?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/4x4-vehicles/25232d1214764566-jeep-last-now-what-42gpw.jpg

J
    P
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    Well I made a decision and after I got an air compressor I painted the Jeep white.
    Why white? Well there is a white YJ in our town (population 40.000) since new and I absolutely love it. Wranglers are rare here because of the petrol engines and their consumption.

First coat came out good considering it's white. Tomorrow second coat after some wet sanding 1:16 Willys MB & 3B . I hope it will look good with all the black details and carpet.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15