Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  Thanks: 2
      Started: 06-09-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

Mieaux vaut tard que jamais! (Better late than never!)

Well, its been a very long time since I last finished a model! The Beatles were still hoped to reunite! and Nixon was just about to be toppled!
      (Also, this is my first scratch built A Model A Model, (finally!) model!)

Both of the above statements are true, however, I have studied model making my whole life, and been around it and model makers, since I was just a little Donald. I was the manager of Paul Freiler's Historical Models for half my life, at the time I left it. I then did a too short stint making models for the movies. I worked in Northrops display model group for a few months, and I have been working in the concept car field for nineteen years!

I am afraid that I might have been "Hijacking" some of your threads, I do go on and on! but never of course was that my intent, and if I have offended anyone? please accept my apologies!

All that said, here I go!

A Model A Model, (finally!)
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    That is a super instrument for engraving letters/numbers like I could see on that miniature gun. Have fun with it!
    QUOTE QUOTE #107

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger!

We'll see! I had the chance a few months ago to buy a Deckel pantograph at a very good price, but it needed to be overhauled, who knew what was missing, and they weigh 1000 pounds!

I have become increasingly concerned about the weight of all my tools, in case I have to move, and so I pursued the purchase of this smaller machine. Obviously Mr. Kucer has made it work for him!

Have you ever thought to make models of guns?

-Don

-craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #108

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    This last weekend was to have been the first weekend, of trying to return to "normal" Here in California.

It didn't happen, because a man was killed. -He was killed by a policeman, and that generated impromptu demonstrations, which were themselves subverted into opportunities to riot, and loot, and scare people.

I had wanted to work on anyone of several modeling projects, but I didn't because I become too "focused" when doing that kind of work, and this weekend, I needed to be more aware of my surroundings!

So? I made a small metal cutting bandsaw. It is actually one that is made by Milwaukee, and meant to be portable, but I had been thinking of turning it into a stand-alone saw. -and so I did!

I can semi-retire my hacksaws!!!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 06-02-20 at 12:31 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #109

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Yep, next to the Chinese thing, your country is busy with almost a civil war.
    Nice machine you have now! be careful with that you may very easily cut a finger or two as there are no protection ever the blade.
    QUOTE QUOTE #110

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hi Roger, yes I could get hurt, but the whole thing is much smaller than it looks. The blade also moves at a much slower rate than expected, it is a geared down direct drive, lots of torque! Capable of cutting 4" Steel bar, if I were so inclined. (Almost 4", 3 1/2")? -it's also a little noisy!

I don't know what to say about the states? Embarrassed, angry, disappointed.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 06-02-20 at 02:51 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #111

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I have had a hard time sleeping, worrying about Roger's worrying about my safety! -So, out of character for me? I finished something!

The fiberglass shell was laid over a urethane A Model A Model, (finally!) foam pattern. West System epoxy A Model A Model, (finally!) . (years old! but still good!) Fiberglass was from an old purchase, Bondo brand. The Aluminum blade guard, and column base were turned quickly on the lathe. -the most time was taken in watching the paint dry!!

QUOTE QUOTE #112

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Everything was made from materials on hand. (Not the shade of Red that I wanted, but I was determined to not make any new purchases!)

The Aluminum, plywood, paint, fiberglass and resin A Model A Model, (finally!) , were all stuff I had around the garage. The only new buys were the screws!

Consolidating much of my clutter into something useful! Now! Maybe I can get back to something like modeling!!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 06-21-20 at 05:10 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #113

8. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Those are some nice mods on the Milwaukee bandsaw. Don't lose the hacksaw, though. I've got into some good pinches when salvaging good stuff from junk and the old locked in stresses suddenly relieve. Hacksaw to the rescue.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #114

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice machine now and a bit more safe!
    QUOTE QUOTE #115

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thanks guys! I have, as you probably noticed a full size band saw, and it can easily handle Brass and Aluminum, but I had for a long time thought to make this stand alone saw, and reserve my larger saw for wood. This little saw can handle anything, Brass, Aluminum, Steel. -we'll see if it improves my productivity?

QUOTE QUOTE #116

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...licopter&&veiw

Not anything to do with model making, except that this date is my 3rd year anniversary, of having started, "my mad project!"

-And I would like to share this little video, of my home town, with you!

Like everyone, everywhere, we are all dealing with a very unexpected intrusion into our lives. Here in California, all our usual 4th of July celebrations were canceled. Fines of $1000.00! per offense! -we're in the beginning of our fire season. -We have had business closures. -Demonstrations. -Lootings. -Riots. -Bureaucratic hypocrisies!

Too much!

So? It looks like every other thousandth person, in Los Angeles county, decided for himself, to put on a small fireworks show. -for their kids? family? friends?

I hope you enjoy!

From my little slice of the world!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 07-08-20 at 01:37 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #117

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Ok? enough already with the bandsaw!

I promise this is the last picture. I have been very busy at both my day job and reorganizing my small shop. Organizing all my lathe stuff, milling machine, everything! -and a last touch to my pet project, my small bandsaw. -I made a plaster mold of the Milwaukee logo, off my "Sawszall" laid up some fiberglass and patched it in. Finally got the right color.

My next posts will be modeling, I promise!

A Model A Model, (finally!)-finally-finished-painted-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #118

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice! The allen wrench is giving an idea about the size of the tool.
    QUOTE QUOTE #119