Close

A Model A Model, (finally!)
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 200.00 USD (39%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

A Model A Model, (finally!) A Model A Model, (finally!) A Model A Model, (finally!) A Model A Model, (finally!) A Model A Model, (finally!)
Accepted Payment Types

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  Thanks: 2
      Started: 06-09-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

Mieaux vaut tard que jamais! (Better late than never!)

Well, its been a very long time since I last finished a model! The Beatles were still hoped to reunite! and Nixon was just about to be toppled!
      (Also, this is my first scratch built A Model A Model, (finally!) model!)

Both of the above statements are true, however, I have studied model making my whole life, and been around it and model makers, since I was just a little Donald. I was the manager of Paul Freiler's Historical Models for half my life, at the time I left it. I then did a too short stint making models for the movies. I worked in Northrops display model group for a few months, and I have been working in the concept car field for nineteen years!

I am afraid that I might have been "Hijacking" some of your threads, I do go on and on! but never of course was that my intent, and if I have offended anyone? please accept my apologies!

All that said, here I go!

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I am very much enjoying our dialog, Roger. -your a thoughtful modeler!

It is difficult to believe that your Avanti, is the lesser of your masterpieces. Certainly it is an example of the whole exceeding the sum of its parts!

A very, very beautiful model!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-17-19 at 12:29 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #92

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    As I noted, that model is not exactly to scale: too wide in the back, the firewall probably too low and other short cuts. There is nothing electric (a great benefit for the ease of assembly!), the body is in one piece (like the original), therefore less screws to attach various elements. You will see it when I will relate here it's reconstruction. I don't do it right now because I will mix the subjects I'm publishing right now in 7 forums: restoration of my '56 Biarritz, beginning of the Mark II here, repairs and completion of the Toronado!
    I too appreciate the dialog!
    QUOTE QUOTE #93

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    You could make a separate thread and gallery for each?

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 03-05-19 at 10:35 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #94

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sorry, it will come later. I don't want to have more trouble than I have now.
    QUOTE QUOTE #95

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I have started on a different approach to my problem with the "How to make a Front Cross Member"

Taking Roger's suggestion to divide and conquer, and looking at what was not working for me, I have created a new pattern for half of the cross member. I had been hammering down into a hollow space, and that is not the way to do it! Copper might be too soft, but hammering this way was creating a lot of unwanted and irregular lumps. I could not accurately control the movement of the metal, and I was not assured of getting the dimensions required.

So my new approach is to form over a pattern. (Rather than into)

This picture shows the first stage.

A Model A Model, (finally!)-img_0724-jpg

Next will be to add the correct radi, and then, form some Brass or Copper.

QUOTE QUOTE #96

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Green, the color of hope?
    QUOTE QUOTE #97

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Yes, I have hopeful tape!

QUOTE QUOTE #98

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    If someone with good eyes notices that my cuts are not along my pen lines, it’s because I laid down those lines before I squared my stock.

A Model A Model, (finally!)-oak-pattern-jpg

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-24-19 at 03:42 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #99

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I did see this happening, -I fore-saw this happening, but after making my new pattern, and getting all the dimensions and radi right, I couldn't resist pounding away at it. The problem is the orientation of the grain, and that the grain is a rather open one.

All is not lost, and this will be used to make a sand A Model A Model, (finally!) mold, into which I will pour aluminum, and / or a low temp. metal. Maybe an epoxy A Model A Model, (finally!) ?

A Model A Model, (finally!)-oops-jpg

Maybe I'll make one out of steel?

A few days later, I've made a hammer-form of steel. Made a paper pattern and included cuts in Copper sheet, annealed and done.

One half of my front cross member is done, now, on to the other half.

A Model A Model, (finally!)-failure-oak-hammerform-mild-steel-jpg

A Model A Model, (finally!)-steel-hammerform-jpg

A Model A Model, (finally!)-copper-half-front-cross-jpg

Every night this week I've worked a little more and a little more on trueing up my Steel hammer-form.

This last picture is of the Copper sheet formed over my Steel pattern, with a sheet cut and prepared to be formed.

The marks are "short-hand" to myself of areas that need more attention.

This piece will be used upside down and greatly trimmed when its time to assemble all the components to make the chassis front cross member.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 03-08-19 at 01:56 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #100

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I have been "fine-tuning" my Steel hammer-form, and working on my technique.

A Model A Model, (finally!)-hammerformed-copper-steal-buck-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #101

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    That's good looking! the secret in your design is to make the slices at the right dimension to have no excess material and no void. Is that however cost effective? Just you has the answer!
    QUOTE QUOTE #102

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Good Morning Roger,

Thank you, it is surprisingly good looking considering how much work and re-work this one piece of tortured metal has gone through!

It is always a learning activity. -I will use this piece, and move on to making the rest of this cross-member, but I will also continue to remake all of the chassis parts until I become more proficient at forming metal.

So much to learn. So many ways to work, and so many techniques!

I haven't forgotten my Quail mold, and on the side, no not that side, the other side, I have been assembling a small pantograph from a box of parts that I bought a while ago. My intention is to make a more accurate pattern for my instrument cluster, and to use the pantograph to directly transfer details to a hydraulic pressing, which will be made of Nickle-Silver.

Stay tuned -

Thanks again, Roger!

QUOTE QUOTE #103

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    A Model A Model, (finally!)-try-half-front-cross-jpg

My hope is that this weekend I can maybe solder up a front cross-member

QUOTE QUOTE #104

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I had a few extra days off this last week, but before I could start any work, I decided that I had to do some spring cleaning. Then there is the pantograph I bought in parts a while back. I got it assembled fine, but it only came with one collet, and that is of a tapered variety.

Probably unique to the manufacturer, Preis, but if anybody recognizes it, please let me know.

A Model A Model, (finally!)-original-collet-engraving-bit-jpg

-so, as it sat I had to make a collet, actually I'll make several, but today it was just one. Looking at the collet system they use at my day job, I decided to make a shrink-fit collet, 1/8th of an inch. These are easy to make, they have great holding strength and run very true. To use them the bit is suspended at the collet's opening, the collet has been machined / reamed just shy of the desired diameter, the collet is heated, it expands, and the cutter slips into place.

I rushed this one, the next few will be much better, but it works!

A Model A Model, (finally!)-shrink-fit-collet-preis-pantograph-jpg

The pantograph I bought is a smallish one, and it has many limitations, but it is well suited to making small stuff, like model stuff. -I had been looking for this specific model because a Canadian modeler has been using the same model for sixty years! David Kucer. An exceptional modeler of miniature guns!

A Model A Model, (finally!)-colt1911_nickel_lhs_5145_small-jpg

A Model A Model, (finally!)-imgp4592-18-600-450-90-rd-255-255-255-jpg

www.kucers.com

A really talented modeler, with immaculate skills!

Back to my plans for my pantograph. I hope to make a series of collets, size specific, and of course play with it a little to see what I can do. . . . 3-D reductions and garden variety engraving.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 04-18-19 at 10:18 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #105

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Still cleaning house and making runs to the scrap metal yard, -needed to make some tracers, steel, these are four times the size of the cutters, ball-end mills.

A Model A Model, (finally!)-steel-tracers-jpg

Reading an article by Mr. Kucer, he made a series of tracers in graduations of 1/64th of an inch, I hope I don't have to be THAT careful. (He works in Steel, I will be working in Aluminum and Brass and maybe Machinable Wax.)

One of the main advantages of a pantograph is the ability to have one pattern to trace and then to be able to reset the reduction ratios to achieve a range of machined sizes. -of course cutter diameter must be matched to tracer, and at the small end, fine end mills are very easy to break, so the collet, and spindle must spin absolutely true, and the incremental cuts have to be shallow.

We'll see! Like pretty much everything I do, I'm teaching myself. Hopeful it won't be a waste of time!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 04-11-19 at 01:35 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #106