Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  Thanks: 2
      Started: 06-09-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

Mieaux vaut tard que jamais! (Better late than never!)

Well, its been a very long time since I last finished a model! The Beatles were still hoped to reunite! and Nixon was just about to be toppled!
      (Also, this is my first scratch built A Model A Model, (finally!) model!)

Both of the above statements are true, however, I have studied model making my whole life, and been around it and model makers, since I was just a little Donald. I was the manager of Paul Freiler's Historical Models for half my life, at the time I left it. I then did a too short stint making models for the movies. I worked in Northrops display model group for a few months, and I have been working in the concept car field for nineteen years!

I am afraid that I might have been "Hijacking" some of your threads, I do go on and on! but never of course was that my intent, and if I have offended anyone? please accept my apologies!

All that said, here I go!

A Model A Model, (finally!)
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Spent a day measuring rear cross-member, always discovering details, plan, cut stock, drill,. . . sand A Model A Model, (finally!) and file, assemble.

QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I have mentioned already that the Model A's chassis members are each made of single pieces pressed and forged into final shape, so in my limited way I'm trying to replicate that in my model. (After I get under way with the chassis, I intend to try pressing these parts. -I'll have to make conforming dies.) (If for no other reason than a learning experience.)(And? it will either not work or it should be easier and perhaps better?)

QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hammering requires frequent annealing. I wish I had a knife makers forge.

QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Not pretty, not yet. -But very strong!

QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Not finished, but good enough for today. This rear cross-member and the center one are relatively easy, just a lot of elbow grease!
    The hardest one will be the front one, in cross section it looks like an "S" on its side.

QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Before continuing to work the brass to my pattern, I wanted to get rid of any excess stock that might be fighting me.

-So? I reached for a tool that I've had for years, and as I was about to use it, I remembered that I have always thought to introduce this simple accessory to others. Its called the "Pillar Tool", in polite society, or on the floor the young men refer to it as the "P***S of DOOM"! -A unique looking tool, and very handy.

The "Pillar Tool" is a support for work being cut on a bandsaw. It works as a lower guide, and supports the weight of whatever your cutting, and allows you to better and more quietly follow the contours of whatever your cutting. Often while trying to cut plexiglass, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or sheet metal, if your just working on the table supplied with your bandsaw, the material will pinch the blade, or because its not supported it may bounce or vibrate, and it is often loud.

The "Pillar Tool" my friend will help alleviate all those conditions. I've seen them made out of PVC pipe, wood, and mine is steel. -The "Pillar Tool"

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    This is how to set one up.

QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    This is a typical situation with forming sheet metal, at some point you'll need trim off the excess.

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    My parts scale flange is an irregular 1/4", the green tape is 1/4".

QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    As with all power tools, you should not operate them or certainly not attempt any technique that you do not fully understand.

You are responsible for your own safety!

Do not wear gloves while working with any power saw! And be fore warned that as you cut through any metal it can get very hot A Model A Model, (finally!) ! (Copper, Brass, Aluminum, Steel, Bronze, Tin plate, Nickle, pretty much any metal!)

This assumes that you have a bandsaw. -If you do, and if you have to trim anything that has "Hills and Valleys" you might consider making one of these for yourself. (I have two.)

QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Being honest with myself, I could have been gentler with my hammering! I now have surfaces that are concave where they should be convex, and I've left way too many tool marks, some deep, all over the place!

Borrowing a technique from silversmiths, Repousse', a way of temporarily bonding malleable metal sheet, in pitch, I hope to solve most of my problems! -OR?

Or, if this fails, well it probably won't be a complete failure, I'll still have learned something new, and I can always be generous with the body primer A Model A Model, (finally!) later on!

QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    This is a much slower process, with ample time to think. -Melt the pitch, shmush the brass into the surface, let it cool, work the areas in question, reheat the brass, remove, clean it, inspect and re-anneal, re-shmush, repeat, . . .

QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    We'll see? Maybe I should have made conforming dies? I have a big arbor press or the hydraulic? (I do prefer working with my hands, and this is something new for me.) And this has been a long holiday weekend! Happy 4th!!

QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Its been a very hot A Model A Model, (finally!) and muggy weekend, well spent in the garage! And these are not finished pieces, but they're good enough for now. I plan to hard solder the chassis as a whole eventually, so growing the flange in a few places and some body filler, both with soft solder, will have to wait.

Both parts will need some fixing and drilling, and I will probably make a few more of each one, now that I have learned to be a little gentler with my tools.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 12-03-17 at 03:12 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, I just discovered your thread. Making a model at 1:4 scale is something I could not do; that requires much larger tools and SPACE! About your errors: everybody is doing some, me too...
    What is that orange/red material and what it's purpose? I tried to understand between the lines, without much success!
    QUOTE QUOTE #46