Close

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-05-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Restoration Completed

Yay, I'm back! Found this poor Trans Am on ebay and had to rescue it:

Yeah, it's a mess. Everything's either broken or glue-spattered, usually both. But I think I can fix it. Gonna try, anyway. What the heck, it was cheap enough.

Since the roof is cracked and will need repair anyway, I thought I'd fill it in. Not all Firebirds came with T-tops after all. First step was to grind away the edges from the T-top glass. The panels will be glued in place and the whole thing will get a liberal coat of filler.

The nose is broken into 4 pieces. The grilles were still in place but I managed to pop them out for cleanup and paint. The car is coming apart easily, as it was built with non-toxic glue (still smells like oranges). Two headlight buckets are missing. If anyone has some spares, give me a holla!

Got some Big Deuce mags that I can turn into Rallye II's, probably.

I hit the gold wheels with acetone to remove the paint from the lugs and center caps. I should go round the edges, too, as they were machined bare on gold-wheel cars. Why go to the trouble? Because I'm weak. I bought another Trans Am, this one unmolested, which I'll build into a gold SE. And these were already painted so what the heck, right?

The plan for this one, since there are no decals, is to remove the scoops and spoilers and build a Formula (whether or not I build it as a Turbo Formula is undecided. No turbo means flattening the hood and adding scoops. But since there's a glue sink on the hood, it'll need attention anyway. Could happen.). The Formula was like a T/A with much less restrained graphics. Anyway it'll be a nice change-up.

This could go on for a long time, so stay tuned!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Glad to have you here again, OBH. These Trans Ams are challenging, don't really know, what kind of plastics they were using. But they are kind of brittle and almost turning to dust like an egyptian mummy. You dont'even have to handle them rough... a sharp look is enough to get these kits exploding in very little pieces. It's like putting together a corn cob with cornflakes.
    Looking forward to your built...it's always a pleasure.

Cheers

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    looks like someone has their hands full with this one...I like the filled roof idea...
    Last edited by chassisdude; 12-05-13 at 08:12 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    3.StarL Yeah, these bodies are almost as brittle as the Jag's silver parts. But adding a headliner stiffens things up enough that they can be safely handled.

chassisdude, you have no idea. As bad as it looks in the photos, it's a lot worse up close. So let's see what I can do with this mess:

Re-assembling the nose was the easy part. Then I shaved all the rough edges so it fits the fenders smoothly again. It doesn't help that it wasn't glued on straight to begin with.

Oh, goody, my favorite part. Sanding Eff'd-up F-body Restoration , and lots of it. The roof is finally smooth. Also had to smooth out the cracks in the trunk lid and replace the broken body mounts. Not shown is the .015 headliner which stiffens things up considerably.

Scoops and spoilers shaved off, with of course more sanding Eff'd-up F-body Restoration . You can see how the nose now fits.

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?! Two applications of Novus Eff'd-up F-body Restoration #2 has cleaned up most of the scratches left by the builder's attempt to clean the glue blobs off the windshield.

Now for my daily pedantic rant: The tires in this kit show it was made after 1982 (when Monogram changed the sidewalls from GT Radials to Eagle GT's for the '82 Corvette kit). Well, Eagle GT's hadn't been invented yet in 1980 (and they didn't bother to change the tread, just the sidewalls, so they're still wrong). If Firebirds had Goodyears, they'd have been Polysteel Radials. So I can cheat and use the Eagles, or go full rivet-counter, sand Eff'd-up F-body Restoration off the letters and try to replicate the Polysteel lettering, or sand Eff'd-up F-body Restoration the letters off and leave them blank. That's a problem for another day, as I still have to rebuild the wrecked rear bumper and spoiler.

I haven't settled on a color yet, but it will be a light one due to all the bodywork. I know my work and it sure won't be perfectly straight. Paint is a few days off at best anyway. Stay tuned!

Eff'd-up F-body Restoration
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    This is a perfect example why "body work" is not called "body Fun" ..I really like the look of the roof with no t's.. As for the color..
    You could do the "white" (wont show any defects as bad) with silver grey screaming chicken version if your a purist...Or do something completely of the hook.... I think its a cool build ...
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Slyy77's Avatar Active Member
    Looks like things are shaping up nicely. As for the windshield, would one of the various headlight restoration kits for 1:1 Eff'd-up F-body Restoration cars work? They're pretty much multi step polishing kits. 4 or 5 different grades of sanding Eff'd-up F-body Restoration films. (You love to sand Eff'd-up F-body Restoration stuff, right)? Some brands like Turtle Wax and I think 3M have foam backing. The films go as fine as 6000 if I remember right. Then they include a polishing compound and the better ones have a sealer. I don't know how well a model windshield would hold up compared to car's headlight, but I've seen some pretty nasty, yellowed UV damaged lenses come out looking pretty good. It probably doesn't help that windshield is tinted either.

Best of luck to you. Ya' gotta love a glue bomb Eff'd-up F-body Restoration restoration.
    Have a good one,
    Kevin.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    The thing about headlights is, they're usually polycarbonate and always thick and rigid enough to withstand the abuse. The windshield, like the rest of this damn thing, is brittle. I'm surprised I didn't crack it yet. I'm planning a black interior, so it doesn't have to be perfect; you won't see much anyway.

chassisdude, I'm thinking two-tone white & gray, like this one:

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Great choice..You doing the "formula" version"? Hood scoops probably wouldnt be too bad to fab..Ive not seen a 1/8 Formula Firebird.. Would be unique to the scale..And as for the color....I think you picked the right combo for this one....... Sand Eff'd-up F-body Restoration on my man... sand Eff'd-up F-body Restoration on.....
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    You're right, the Formula hood (at least the '78-81 version) is no sweat to fab up:

The scoop ends are separate parts for ease of painting. Obviously I still need to sand Eff'd-up F-body Restoration it, but it's an easy conversion.

Now the main body is done, after repairing the rear bumper:

Notice the ghost of the sidemarker. The original builder put them in backwards, and for once glued them in so well that all but one exploded on the way out. So add those to the list of small parts I need to make (along with door handles, hood ornament and headlight buckets).

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Time to throw a little primer Eff'd-up F-body Restoration on and see what we're dealing with:

Not bad, still needs a little more love but it's getting there.

Speaking of getting there, I wanna go fast! Let's ditch the small-block and put a real Poncho mill in there. And, it's not that hard:

The major external difference between the 301 and the 400/455 is the deck height. So add styrene Eff'd-up F-body Restoration spacers under the heads and make a new intake, bam, instant big-block. This car's telling me it wants to be a hot Eff'd-up F-body Restoration rod (1970's street machine style) so I'll indulge it with an Edelbrock Victor single-plane intake (much easier to make than the factory dual-plane, which is a fiddly thing) and some more go-fast goodies. That also relieves me of making a catalytic converter to replace the one that's gone missing.

Dashboard is pretty straightforward, except for cutting all the gauges out and putting them back in, straight this time. Well, straightER. I shot the interior in semi-gloss black to simulate vinyl upholstery.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I was wondering what you were going to use for a power plant...Good choice on the big block are you still going to use the "Quadrabog" facsimile for the carb? If you need a 1/8 Holley or Carter ..Give a shout..Ill hook you up..The body is shaping up nicely ..and I like the hood...Looks like it will resurrect pretty nice....
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    The Quadrajunk is good enough, I'll just be using it as an air cleaner spacer. I'm definitely seeing some potential in this poor thing now.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
    The Quadrajunk is good enough, I'll just be using it as an air cleaner spacer. I'm definitely seeing some potential in this poor thing now.

Thats true.. thought Id offer anyway....I see the potential as well..Its been said "you cant polish a turd" but this build shows that's not always true...
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by chassisdude View Post
    ...Its been said "you cant polish a turd" ...
    That's because you CAN roll it in glitter.....
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo NZ View Post
    That's because you CAN roll it in glitter.....
    Well said..
    QUOTE QUOTE #15