Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-05-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Restoration Completed

Yay, I'm back! Found this poor Trans Am on ebay and had to rescue it:

Yeah, it's a mess. Everything's either broken or glue-spattered, usually both. But I think I can fix it. Gonna try, anyway. What the heck, it was cheap enough.

Since the roof is cracked and will need repair anyway, I thought I'd fill it in. Not all Firebirds came with T-tops after all. First step was to grind away the edges from the T-top glass. The panels will be glued in place and the whole thing will get a liberal coat of filler.

The nose is broken into 4 pieces. The grilles were still in place but I managed to pop them out for cleanup and paint. The car is coming apart easily, as it was built with non-toxic glue (still smells like oranges). Two headlight buckets are missing. If anyone has some spares, give me a holla!

Got some Big Deuce mags that I can turn into Rallye II's, probably.

I hit the gold wheels with acetone to remove the paint from the lugs and center caps. I should go round the edges, too, as they were machined bare on gold-wheel cars. Why go to the trouble? Because I'm weak. I bought another Trans Am, this one unmolested, which I'll build into a gold SE. And these were already painted so what the heck, right?

The plan for this one, since there are no decals, is to remove the scoops and spoilers and build a Formula (whether or not I build it as a Turbo Formula is undecided. No turbo means flattening the hood and adding scoops. But since there's a glue sink on the hood, it'll need attention anyway. Could happen.). The Formula was like a T/A with much less restrained graphics. Anyway it'll be a nice change-up.

This could go on for a long time, so stay tuned!

Eff'd-up F-body Restoration
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
    There's an incomplete kit on the bay right now:

1 8 Scale Turbo Trans Am Monogram Parts Car Junkyard | eBay

If you end up buying it, I could use that taillight panel. Mine's all glue-bombed.
    Thanks Stu, but I just couldn't convince myself to pay $53 + shipping when I only need the body. I'll keep an eye out for the next one.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Keep an eye on this one: Monogram Pontiac Turbo Firebird Trans Am 1 8 | eBay

These kits run pretty high. Wish they'd do a re-re on it.

QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
    Keep an eye on this one: Monogram Pontiac Turbo Firebird Trans Am 1 8 | eBay

These kits run pretty high. Wish they'd do a re-re on it.
    Seems like ALL the 1/8 kits are going thru the roof money wise.. Maybe its just the time of year..
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Well, I had to turn up the awesome (along with the Donna Summer):

Jacking up the rear is kind of pointless without some ginormous rollers, so I made 4 tires into 2 big 'uns. Also, the Deuce tires were kind of mis-shaped, maybe they got pulled out of the mold too hot Eff'd-up F-body Restoration or something. Anyway, they're history.

They stick out just enough.

And what's a disco 'bird without louvers? Naked, that's what.

This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Slyy77's Avatar Active Member
    Instead of the disco duck, you got a disco chicken.
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Can't have a nekkid bird runnin round!

When I was in highshcool a friend of mine's parentsx had a diner here in Portland. The Hollywood Deli. His mom and dad were going to the coast for a weekend and his dad made us a deal. If we made new window signs over night while they were gone we could drink "some" beer as long as we stuck to the tap seeing as it really couldn't be inventoried. Well we drank SOME beer and I put up a sing in the window...DEAD CHICKEN WITH NO FEATHERS COOKED TO ORDER.

His mom thought it was disgusting. His dad laughed so hard he nearly cried. Cpl Robert Tool was killed in action in 1985 but that sign made them so much money I still get a bottle of Jack Daniels every June 12th from his dad.

RIP Rob you died doing what you wanted to be doing!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. semijoe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    joe
    great to see you back stu. i see another master piece in a brewing , top notch as always
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    NOW is when it gets serious. You may recall I mentioned another T/A kit. Well, here it is. Since I already did factory stock (a couple years ago, the red one) and the disco chicken has been started, I thought this one would be a Turbo bird with 30 years of progress added to the turbo setup. The '80 Turbo was a steaming pile, for various reasons.* So let's keep the style and fix the horsepower deficit.

The best way to do that is with twin turbos...

... and a big intercooler.

And to continue the Eff'd-up theme:

Apparently this kit was stored in an oven. In addition to the usual cracks, the body had a serious warp. Hot Eff'd-up F-body Restoration water wouldn't help, so I had to use a flame to heat it up and bend it back into something close to its proper shape. Unfortunately the rear fenders and B-pillar spread out significantly and I was unable to correct it, so I made some strips to fill the gap between the doors and the interior.

Adding a headliner adds much-needed strength, and nobody likes naked pillars anyway.

* The Turbo 4.9 used the same turbo as Buick's 3.8 and Ford's 2.3, and it just wasn't big enough to boost a 4.9L V8. Boost didn't happen until 3500 rpm, and the engine ran out of steam at 4500. Add in a mandatory automatic with a 2000 rpm stall converter, and launching under boost was just impossible. The Turbo cars wheezed through the quarter mile in 16.9 sec @ 81 mph.

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    [b]shazam![/b]
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Slyy77's Avatar Active Member
    16.9 sec @ 81 mph. Talk about a bird with clipped wings. Would have done better without the turbo. Needs some go fast chrome.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I'm enjoying watching this one. Looks like you are having some fun.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Quiz time: What's gold and shiny as hell all over?

Come on, don't give up. Here's a hint:

Sorry for the blur, I didn't want to use the flash Eff'd-up F-body Restoration so you could see all the reflections. And long exposures don't mix with a garage full of lacquer Eff'd-up F-body Restoration fumes. Seriously, it's thick enough in there to gag a donkey

The paint is Dupli-Color, actually a Ford gold (imagine that, you can't just go down to Autozone and buy color-matched paint for a 30-year-old car) and the color is more like the second pic than the first. There's two coats of color and two coats of clear on it.

I have a feeling I'm gonna pay for this tomorrow.

I know I said I was gonna wait for paint, but we had a warm spell (30 degrees) so I can heat the garage up to 70 and get a nice finish, then run the parts inside to dry after they flash Eff'd-up F-body Restoration off. What can I say, I'm impatient and I freaking love this gold.

Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 12-14-13 at 04:57 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    A KRUEGERAND!
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    So how many Firebird/Trans ams/Formulas do you have laying around.... I like the gold.... and the old school rear tires....
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Completed, I have the red one from 2012 and the Trail Bird scratch build Eff'd-up F-body Restoration , along with some 1/24s. In progress, just these two.

QUOTE QUOTE #46