Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 11-21-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Im an avid collector of 1/6 scale engines..Ive collected or built all of them (17 so far) with the exception of the 427 Shelby Cobra engine and I will get that one next month..I just picked up the AMT 1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display) /Ertle Pro Shop 1/6 57 Vette 283 fuelie engine..Been looking for one for quite some time but the ones I found were 100 bucks plus..Got this one for 30 dollars Its a pretty detailed kit...300 plus parts , rods , pistons, valves, lifters, etc. all the internals..removable components ...Rolling engine cradle..pretty cool...Its a future project so ill start proper thread when I actually do the build...

I also purchased up my first Pocher engine kit as well..Volvo F16 Truck engine in 1/8 ..Hope to have it in a few days..(another future project)
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. camwader's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jon
    Chassisdude, I like the sound of your collection. I've acquired a variety of engine models over the years, mostly 1/6th, but also 1/8 and 1/12, some kits, some diecasts. Here are most of them in my 1/6th garage diorama. The Pocher Volvo makes a nice model.

Last edited by camwader; 11-22-13 at 05:25 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Man ..I like the display !!! Outstanding !! Glad to see another engine nut

1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I like the engine models also. I have built a few but wouldn't say I am a collector of them. Is the Vette motor you bought the one with the transparent block? If so I have built that one. Had some problems with piston to cylinder clearence. Had to hone out a couple of bores on one side of the block. It was a nice model though and I painted mine as a cutaway to hide the fact that some of the bores were not very clear any more. The fuel injection unit was nicely detailed and as far as I was concerned that was the most important part anyhow. It looked really great sitting on a shelf next to a 1:16 Fuelie Vette until a fuzzy little friend decided to go exploring one day...
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by spinellid82 View Post
    I like the engine models also. I have built a few but wouldn't say I am a collector of them. Is the Vette motor you bought the one with the transparent block? If so I have built that one. Had some problems with piston to cylinder clearence. Had to hone out a couple of bores on one side of the block. It was a nice model though and I painted mine as a cutaway to hide the fact that some of the bores were not very clear any more. The fuel injection unit was nicely detailed and as far as I was concerned that was the most important part anyhow. It looked really great sitting on a shelf next to a 1:16 Fuelie Vette until a fuzzy little friend decided to go exploring one day...
    Nope this one is not the ghost version...We will see how this one assembles...

I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Just added this one to my collection...Its a Liberty Classics release..Not the quality they used to have ..the last 2 have been all plastic..In the past they had some weight to them as they were manufactured with die cast parts and plastic...Now...All plastic...Oh well..Still nice additions to my collection..

1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display)-l_chevrolet-blown-hot-rod-engine-jpg

This is the 427 Cobra engine ill get next month....

1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display)-l_shelby-engine-jpg

My current collection

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by chassisdude; 11-23-13 at 04:49 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. nice collection man
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    You need a badass Cosworth DOHC turbo L4 in that mix! But I do have to say also that all that ORANGE is SWEEEEEEEEEEET!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by spinellid82 View Post
    You need a badass Cosworth DOHC turbo L4 in that mix! But I do have to say also that all that ORANGE is SWEEEEEEEEEEET!
    Id love a little more variety A Cosworth would be stellar,,..A 440 or 340 six pack would be cool as well as maybe a nail head Buick a dual quad 409 and even some 6 bangers...Dont see it happening though...

I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    It's called scratch building man! Now get going on that split manifold for the '53 216 Chevy motor! Dang thost things sound wicked!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    I've been thinking about doing a 440 in CAD so I could 3D print it. My dad has a '68 Charger R/T with the 440, so it would make a great gift for him. If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by strevo View Post
    I've been thinking about doing a 440 in CAD so I could 3D print it. My dad has a '68 Charger R/T with the 440, so it would make a great gift for him. If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know.
    That would be cool !!

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Well..I just picked up another 1/6 Amt 1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display) pro shop 283..Factory sealed and mint..I figure ill hold on to it for awhile....I have an affinity for scale engines and ive been working on possibly getting some upgrade parts printed in 1/6 so as to be able to modify them...Why not...

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    I did some basic assembly on the 1/6 283 today and noticed the bore size seem awfully small..about 3/16 too small (used the scale calculator)... That's a big discrepancy in my opinion..I did some quick calculations and if the scale stroke is accurate and i'm assuming its incorrect as well, this is 148 cui Chevy V-8 I know its just a model but its still a pretty big goof in my opinion....I planned on displaying as "being assembled".... engine stand...components parts on the bench, etc...I guess I'll proceed as planned at this point but its still disappointing...Maybe im too picky....

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    G'day Michael. Very impressive collection of engines you have there. A few others would give the collection a twist, like a straight 6, and a 4, and how about a rotary? (I hope that's not swearing?).

I also have the Pocher Volvo truck engine (bought about 7 years ago) and as I drive a Volvo truck I have all the references I need.

I bought myself a Christmas present again this year. A working model V8 engine with most parts clear. There is no reference to what specific vehicle it's from so I think it's just a generic type for learning purposes, and there's no indication of what scale it is. The block measures 170mm long with a 30mm bore. I guess you could choose what engine you want it to be and then work out the scale for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display)-1-box-jpg  1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display)-2-box-jpg  1/6 Scale Engines (Static Display)-3-box-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #15