Close

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Super 7

Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (7 votes - 4.43 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.
      If I counted correctly, this will be my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 1/12 scale Seven.
      So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.
      I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

Another Super 7-image12-jpg

Another Super 7
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Here’s the set of five tires and outer rims I have made for it. I’m ready to get back to part and pattern making. Prototype work is more rewarding than “production” work.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looking good my friend!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks!
    Time to start building the frame. I am going to make it slightly beefier than a standard Caterham or Lotus, I went with 1.5 inch square (scale size) tube for the main sections.
    In this picture are the top section from the nose to about the cowl, the lower perimeter box for the passenger compartment, and two lower front frame rails, (partially bent).

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. Tony's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by spinellid82 View Post
    Outstanding result! I am going to have my first crack at molding and casting Another Super 7 later this week. Wish me luck!
    Here is a quick tip, if you can, use canubra wax to polish your masters, this does 2 things, 1, creates a beautiful smooth surface for the rubber mould, so when it you pour your rubber on it creates the same surface, beautifully smooth,
    and 2, the smoother the mould, the easier it is to release the cast part, and therefore you don't have to contaminate your workshop with silicon spray, and pressure casting Another Super 7 is the best way to cast......

Scale master,

Outstanding scratch building so far, and your casting Another Super 7 is out standing also, but I have a question for you, how did you do hollow tyres, and what sort of rubber are they cast in?

Look forward to more updates
    It's easier to destroy, than it is to create
    QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Outstanding indeed, a rebodied Caterham on steroids and all conceived in 1:12 within the confines if one man's head. Add to that the fact that that one man obviously holds exceptional skill and talent and you come up with one awesome model! I can't wait to see what the final answer is!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

I am using a polyurethane elastomer for the tires (ST-3040 from BJB Enterprises). As for them being hollow, I just made the tire master to be hollow. It is a two part RTV Another Super 7 mold.

Main lower frame perimeter is soldered together…

Some bracing added… Still need to clean up the solder joints on them, after I add more pieces…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    More pieces added…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looking great bud!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks!
    More progress, not a bad day’s work as far as I’m concerned…
    I used brass rod inserted and soldered inside the square tube (full length plus mounting points) for these vertical members for additional strength. And I drilled receiver holes into the frame for a positive fit too.

Tack soldered these parts to the top of the frame…

And then soldered them all together.
    Top:

Bottom:

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    More bracing made and installed…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #86

11. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Very nice!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #87

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Still growing…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #88

13. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    That is looking sweet man! I am really looking forward to see this project unfold!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #89

14. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Could you post more info on how you made the master and molds for your tires? This has been discussed in-depth on other threads, but it seems like everyone has just a little different technique. I have 11 tires to cast for a truck that I'm building.
    Thanks
    Mike
    QUOTE QUOTE #90

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassBuilder View Post
    Could you post more info on how you made the master and molds for your tires? This has been discussed in-depth on other threads, but it seems like everyone has just a little different technique. I have 11 tires to cast for a truck that I'm building.
    Thanks
    Mike
    I machined the master out of PVC and added the lettering/sidewall detail with self-adhesive vinyl.
    The mold was made with platinum based RTV Another Super 7 , a requirement for the material I cast the tires with.
    The tires were cast with a polyurethane elastomer (ST-3040 from BJB Enterprises).
    Photos of the master and the mold being made are in post #63,64 and 67 on page 7 of this thread.
    I used a vacuum on all the materials before casting Another Super 7 , and kept them under pressure after casting Another Super 7 while they cured.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #91