Close

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Super 7

Builder Last Online: Apr 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (7 votes - 4.43 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.
      If I counted correctly, this will be my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 1/12 scale Seven.
      So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.
      I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

Another Super 7-image12-jpg

Another Super 7
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    These are the seat belt adjuster buckles for the shoulder harnesses. More acid etched brass cut from my artwork. I cut lines into them (about half the thickness of the brass) to aid in the folding and positioning of other parts to be soldered on later.

These are the seat belt anchor pieces also cut from brass. Still a little clean up needed, but this is close to how they look fresh from the acid etching.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I gotta learn this trick!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    This is the beginning of the tire master. Again I utilized PVC from the hardware store; this time a plumbing Another Super 7 fitting that was just about the right size. It was a little thin on material where I wanted to make the sidewall, so I built it up with some CA so I could have more curvature to the sidewall. I cut the sidewall on the lathe freehand but used traditional tools to cut the bead; the tread was cut on the mill. The tread is patterned after an Advan tire.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I added the sidewall detail and lettering…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looking good man, keep it coming!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks!
    I am pretty close to being done with the master for the Weber carbs. There’s about 60 pieces to make this part, maybe a few more… The hardware will machined for each individual carb after I cast copies.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I use Legos to make my mold frames. (The plug in the center of the tire master is made of Renshape.)

Not only are the Legos easy to work with and reusable, they also can be stacked to fit more molds in the vacuum/pressure vessel. This is the rim master on top of the tire master to cast the first half of the molds.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMaster View Post
    I am using the hydrochloric acid you don't care for. Granted, it has a caustic aroma to say the least. The hydrogen peroxide helps speed up the process as does working with warm chemicals.
    OK...I might have to give this a try. I'm having a lot of issues trying to get some .010" brass etched. I don't know if I have a crappy piece of brass or what, but it is not etching well at all. I've done some .007" just fine. Going to try some .009" this weekend.

What kind of formula are you using in mixing up your hydrochloric acid and the hydrogen peroxide?

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The formula varies since the peroxide acts as an oxidizer and both chemicals seem to change strength during the etching as the brass that is dissolved dilutes the solution. 50/50 is a good start. I have experimented with formulas ranging from 25% peroxide to 25% acid. It does not seem to matter much.

I have had good luck going through 0.030. But even burning all the way through 0.010 can take several hours.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. JeepMkd's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mite
    I'm really interested to see the moulding process since that's my biggest problem with my models. Looking forward to the results :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    OK... Here is the mold and a casting Another Super 7 from it for the outer rim for the wheels.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Here is the first cast tire on the first cast rim outer. I cast both parts from molds I made off masters I created. The tire is hollow and easily stretches over the one piece rim. It is so soft and pliable that it should “squat” under the weight of the car.
    Front:

Back:

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #73

13. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Outstanding result! I am going to have my first crack at molding and casting Another Super 7 later this week. Wish me luck!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #74

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    OK, good luck! And it often takes a few tries to get what you want. I have found taking notes of what I did each time to be helpful in fine tuning the process.

I’ve been casting Another Super 7 centers for the wheels too. Still not sure which design I’ll use, the five spoke or the web, or maybe something different all together…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #75

15. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Thanks for the well wish and I vote for the five spoke...just my humble opinion.
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #76