Close

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Super 7

Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (7 votes - 4.43 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.
      If I counted correctly, this will be my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 1/12 scale Seven.
      So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.
      I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

Another Super 7-image12-jpg

Another Super 7
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Yes, you read correctly. I am still fine tuning the process, and I am making progress. Did you have a specific question?

It's time to start on the engine. Since I already made the cam cover I figured I'd work my way down from there. The head is made from sheet styrene Another Super 7 . First I built a box for the top portion that fits to the already made aluminum cam cover, and then I started adding the external details.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Talk about mixed emations! I am really interested in the next several posts regarding the engine build but I have an oportunity to vanish from civilization for a few days and will not have electricity to power even my laptop. As this promises to be very interesting I will be looking forward to catching up when I return from my life break. Have fun and build on!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. gigglingmonkey's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMaster View Post
    Yes, you read correctly. I am still fine tuning the process, and I am making progress. Did you have a specific question?
    Not yet, it was just that all I had read so far was working with much thinner Another Super 7 brass so I wasn't sure it would 'scale up' that far.

Now I can have some confidence I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

mick
    don't follow me, I'm making it up as I go
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I built another box for the lower section of the head. This part was a little more work since I also had to accommodate the header (I made the flange for it at the same time).

As well as the coolant filler…

and on the other side, the face for the intake manifold.

Still more work to do, but I also added locating tabs to the upper section to make it fit positively to the lower part.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    I'd be interested in the process you are using to etch the thicker brass too. I've been experimenting with photoetching and I have a thread started here that discusses what I am doing:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...toetching.html

Thanks

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Mike, I saw your thread and read through it. I am using the hydrochloric acid you don't care for. Granted, it has a caustic aroma to say the least. The hydrogen peroxide helps speed up the process as does working with warm chemicals.
    I am making my resist from vinyl so it technically is not "photo" etch.
    As far as thickness, it is mostly just a case of burning for a longer time. There is an issue of doing the art to compensate for thicker burns since it does not burn straight through, but at an angle and can make the part thinner Another Super 7 than expected.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Interesting. How are you cutting the vinyl mask? That looks like it could be time consuming cutting them with a scissors or a knife.

I have concerns about the smells that hydrocloric acid would give off as I do all my etching at home in the basement. My dad used to use the stuff when he had his radiator shop many years ago. I couldn't stand the stuff then either.

I'm guessing you need to make your artwork a tad bigger to compensate for the thicker material, correct? I'm also guessing that you are etching from one side? I've had better luck etching from both sides although the thickess I've tried is .015".

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I'm using a plotter to cut the vinyl. It is still tedious and time consuming to weed out the images.
    So far what I have etched in the thicker brass has come out without too much undercutting of the brass and the parts have not been overly delicate for it to be an issue. But I can see from the cut edge that it could be an issue on some of the finer parts.
    I etch from both sides.

Here are the beginnings of the basic engine block, more sheet styrene Another Super 7 … This will be the front.

Here is the bottom.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Some details and shapes added…

And fitted up with the head assembly.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The front areas of the both sections of the head have been finalized and more details have been added to the front of the block. Still more to build for the front of the block and some clean up needed on the head parts before texturing.

Here’s the water pump and the thermostat housing dry fitted…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I got a good start on the oil pan, made out of mostly styrene Another Super 7 , and one piece of brass.

And the oil filter mount…

Also got more of the oiling system added to the block…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    This will be the bell housing. I made the flange from .020 sheet styrene Another Super 7 and drilled some of the mounting holes in it and the back of the block. The housing is PVC schedule 40 pipe.

I shaped the housing and added the bulge for the starter…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Mostly done, it needs a mounting point for the transmission.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Here is the gearbox section of the transmission, more styrene Another Super 7 construction. I need to make the trans before I can make the receiver section for the bell housing.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the top of the trans out of brass. I drew artwork for the pieces and then I acid cut the parts out, then soldered them together. It is made up of four parts.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #46