Close

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Super 7

Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (7 votes - 4.43 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.
      If I counted correctly, this will be my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 1/12 scale Seven.
      So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.
      I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

Another Super 7-image12-jpg

Another Super 7
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Since I still had the measurements for the wheel handy, I decided to make the rotors and hubs. These are made to fit on the front, they’re directional too… Yes, the holes in the hubs are threaded to accept studs/bolts.

These are the rear brake rotors and hubs… Same basic process as the fronts, but not the same hub proportions.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I decided to experiment with another approach to the wheels and took a run at making etch cut brass wheels. This time I chose a BBS style. Here is the spider I designed and cut from .030 brass.

Then I bent it using sockets for dies. Also shown is the outer rim I cut for it.

Then I soldered the two parts together…

Here it is in the aluminum rim blank I made earlier with the extra tire.

I still need to add to the back side of the hub area so the lugs have something to seat into and to make the offset correct as well as clean up the edges.
    Just like the aluminum five spoke wheel, this will be a master, not one of a set.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Scrappyj1's Avatar Member
    Very nice, Mark! You continue to raise the bar with each build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks Dirk! Gotta keep my self entertained...

I added some more pieces, nine to be exact, but they are just various sizes of brass tubing stock I soldered in to make the hub with the lug seats. This now bolts to the hubs I made earlier.
    Still cleaning up the edges of the spokes and anything else that needs it.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I decided to make the rear fenders next, but I also decided not to simply stop there and instead I thought I’d add a full rear body section including a trunk. I know, this is not what a Caterham or Lotus Seven would typically have, but since many of the real vehicles are built as kit cars in home garages, I figured why not have some fun? (Not all Seven based cars are Lotus or Caterham…)

Originally I was planning to make the fenders as separate left and right pieces to bolt onto the sides and the center section as its own piece too. But the more I worked on it I decided it will be a rear clip. You can see the mounting flanges on the inside (and the scribed lines on the rear panel) where it was originally going to be three main pieces.

It’s still a little rough on the inside, I may leave some of that as it is the way some 1:1 Another Super 7 fiberglass work looks on the inside. It will still use the same mounting points I put on the front sections of the fenders, but the rear will mount to the frame (that I still need to make…).

As far as the styling, I’m going for a 60’s or early 70’s sports car look.

It is all styrene Another Super 7 except for a little resin Another Super 7 and a lot of CA, no “real” filler or putty Another Super 7 at this point.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Great craftsmanship and imagination Mark! As far as the wheels go...man! I just don't know, they are both really nice and I like each for different aspects. Like you said, you are going for 60s/70s look so the second might fit that better but the double 5 spoke is an awesome piece of work also!

USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thank you. As it evolves and I play with different processes I get different ideas. Even if I don't use all the parts I make for it on it, it's good for practicing.

I cut the hole for the taillight panel out; (this will make mounting the deck lid easier).

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the taillight panel and added the ledge for the inside of the trunk…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the understructure of the deck lid from two layers of sheet styrene Another Super 7 . I acid etched the hinge set from brass using artwork I designed. It is temporarily pinned together with a paper clip.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The oval shaped raised sections on the taillight panel are brass. I acid etched them with a pair of raised rings on the back that aligned with the holes in the taillight panel. I got caught up in assembling them and neglected to take pictures before I permanently installed them…
    The light bezels were machined from 6061 aluminum to fit into the brass parts.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The lenses were machined from acrylic Another Super 7 . Amber for the turn signal/parking lights and clear for the brake lights. The clear parts will be painted transparent red. The trim ring between the lenses is machined from soft aluminum tubing.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Once I dry assembled the lights into the taillight panel, I decided I wanted the raised oval accent to be more prominent, so I added sheet styrene Another Super 7 to those areas and made a fillet of polyester filler.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Here is the dry assembled taillight set in the panel.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Very nicely done!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. gigglingmonkey's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMaster View Post
    I decided to experiment with another approach to the wheels and took a run at making etch cut brass wheels. This time I chose a BBS style. Here is the spider I designed and cut from .030 brass.
    Did I read that correctly, you etched the wheel spoke section from .030" brass. I'm just starting on my model A chassis and motor using .030" and if I can etch it will help a lot, the arthritis is tighening up my elbows, make it hard to get good clean cuts with hand saws.

mick
    don't follow me, I'm making it up as I go
    QUOTE QUOTE #31