Close

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Super 7

Builder Last Online: Apr 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (7 votes - 4.43 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.
      If I counted correctly, this will be my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 1/12 scale Seven.
      So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.
      I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

Another Super 7-image12-jpg

Another Super 7
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks!

After I had the wheels on the chassis I learned I needed more travel in the shocks to attain the proper ride height, which meant I needed to make longer springs. I used piano wire instead of soft beading wire this time. The beading wire is easy to work with, but has no memory and is too weak for this application. I went through about 12 feet of piano wire before I figured out how to get the windings even and the right diameter to fit over the shock. It snaps on both ends of the shock now and ties them together.

Then I went on to making the front shocks. This time I dealt with the spring before making the shock, it’s much easier to size the shock body to fit the spring than the other way around.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #182

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Time to make the nose… I started by building the areas that will mount the nose to the frame and hood out of sheet styrene Another Super 7 and brass. Much of this part will be cut away and discarded later.

It is reinforced in part of the area that will be removed to make cutting it out easier. Final shaping of where the nose meets the hood will be done after the nose is built.

The main/front section is growing towards the mounting points; right now it is just sheet styrene and CA.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #183

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    More plastic (and CA) has been added and shaped… Now it has the final overall shape and dimensions.

The inner structure has also been beefed up for rigidity and to make it less prone to damage when I cut the insides out.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #184

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    A couple coats of polyester primer Another Super 7 (sanded in-between) and it’s time to remove inner structure.

Once I cut out the inner reinforcements I fiberglassed the insides for added strength and to replicate the inside of a fiberglass part.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #185

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The front fenders will be the cycle style. I started by machining a circular blank the correct diameter and with the outer lip radius, and then I cast a couple copies of it in resin Another Super 7 .

The inner fenders with supports and mounting points were made from sheet styrene.

After I cut sections of the circular blanks out for each fender and attached them to the inner sections, I bonded the two assemblies together then shaped them as one uniform piece.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #186

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made some minor modifications to the inner fender panels to allow a little more elbow room for the brake lines that will be added to the calipers later and installed the metal mounting boss.

I test mounted the front fenders to the suspension on the car to make sure there is enough clearance for the steering, and to verify it all could be bolted together. It passed…

I think it is fair to say the majority of the bodywork has been fabricated at this point, but there is plenty more to make too.

I think it needs the front spoiler and side bodywork to flow a little better. But then again it is Seven based so a little ungainly is not uncommon…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #187

7. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looking good Mark! I am doing more traditionally, even considering polished aluminum and black for the body. This reminds me a bit of a Jensen at the rear. Were you aiming for that or is it just me?
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #188

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks David. I wasn't going for a Jensen, just a 60's-70's sports car look. Black and silver sounds classic, I'm leaning towards white and gunmetal gray with some yellow, but that could change by the time I get to painting...

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #189

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The wheels are almost done now that they are riveted together. Each one is made up of 23 individual parts. The outer rims are Mazda Tungsten Gray and the centers are a custom mixed dark gunmetal with a cast texture. They still need the brand labeling. Center caps will be made later.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #190

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    The wheels are awesome Mark. I do agree about the color being up for debate...until it is time to mix anyhow.
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #191

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks again David, I figured the grays on the wheels are neutral enough to go with just about any color/combo. I had thought about color keying them to the body, but I was in the mood to finish them. I can always make another set if I change my mind...

These are the beginnings of the lower side body panels. Just a little cut, bent and soldered brass…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #192

12. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Cut, bent and soldered equals body panel if you ask me. Looks good Mark.
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #193

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks David, I'm having an easier go at it than I expected.

The sides will get vents to compensate for not having the louvers in the hood.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #194

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The wheels and tires are done (except for the brand labels, wheel weights and center caps).

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #195

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The roll bar is made of solid brass rod. I spot annealed the areas I bent the main bar.
    Still need to do some detail clean up on the mounting plate soldering…

Before I built the roll bar I attached two bosses as receivers to the rear mounting points of the frame.

I also drilled through the rear body section at the same points and lined the holes with brass tubing for a positive fit and to protect the future paint from chipping during assembly.

It plugs right in…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #196