Close

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Super 7

Builder Last Online: Apr 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (7 votes - 4.43 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.
      If I counted correctly, this will be my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 1/12 scale Seven.
      So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.
      I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

Another Super 7-image12-jpg

Another Super 7
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    How's the build coming?

PS: I see Caterham has introduced a new entry-level Seven, starting at about 15,000 GBP.

2014 Caterham Seven 160 - Images, Specifications and Information
    QUOTE QUOTE #167

2. Tourpretendent's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Ronald
    Hello Mark,

I am amazed by the quality and detail of your work and it’s so beautiful!

Your WIP Another Super 7 reads as an tutorial, so who knows in the future..

Regards, Ronald
    QUOTE QUOTE #168

3. andress's Avatar Member
    Name
    andres
    Nice Work @scaleMaster Thanks For Sharing
    QUOTE QUOTE #169

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks guys!
    Yes Skip, I saw that new version, I like the idea, but it is not the version I'd buy...

The caliper castings are done. The brass half master is in the foreground, the completed master with mounting flange on the left, and a cast copy on the right.
    The bolt detail that will be seen through the wheel will be added as individual machined hardware, I cast them into the part on the backside since they will be mostly hidden.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #170

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Once the main calipers were set up I was able to position the parking brake calipers. I had to add material to the DeDion tube assembly to make the mounting surfaces.
    The calipers are machined from aluminum, leftover parts from a previous project that I decided to use drum brakes on after I made them. I still need to make the brake pads…

A side note: Today marks the one year anniversary of the start of this project.

Another Super 7
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 11-04-13 at 11:26 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #171

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Made the top of the sender for the fuel gauge… I’ll make and add the mounting hardware later.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #172

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    While I am waiting for the acid to cut the brass control arm brackets I decided to make the lower control arms.
    Since I only need two and I didn’t think the time spent making a jig would pay off, I just went for it.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #173

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The upper control arm and shock brackets are cut. I etched the areas the brackets will be soldered to the base as well as the bend lines in the brackets.

Here they are bent…

And all soldered together.

I also made the lower shock mounting pad/A-Arm reinforcement plates for the lower control arms.

And added the pivot/mounting points to the frame for them.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #174

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Upper control arms are roughed out and I’m working on the spindles now. I also finished the front bushing assemblies for the lower arms.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #175

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looking good man!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #176

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks!
    It took a couple tries to get the geometry of the upper A-Arms right. I don't think it mattered if I made them or the spindles first, adjustments would have been needed either way.

The spindles are fleshed out and close to being done, the left is on the left, the right is on the right…

I machined the “bearings” for the rotors, ironically exactly one year to the day of when I made the rotors. And I’m prepping the calipers which are the same basic units as the main rear calipers.

Inboard side of the left spindle assembly… The screws are just to tack it together as I build measure and adjust; hex head hardware will be fabricated and used on the final assemblies.

And mounted to the control arms…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #177

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    For the first time it is up on all four wheels & tires. After only one year and 9 days of work… (But there are scores of other parts not shown here).

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #178

13. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    VERY NICE!!!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #179

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks David!

The (working) steering rack assembly is done, the last pieces being the tie rod parts. The tie rod ends are adjustable so it can be aligned once it is finally assembled.

The tie rod ends are just pinned into the spindles; the final assembly will have proper fittings there. (Those are red bread ties holding the A-arms together…)

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #180

15. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Wow!

After seeing all of this brass work, I can't wait to get back to my own workshop and get going again.
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #181