Close

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Super 7

Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (7 votes - 4.43 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 12-27-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.
      If I counted correctly, this will be my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] 1/12 scale Seven.
      So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.
      I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

Another Super 7-image12-jpg

Another Super 7
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I'm impressed!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #152

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I also started casting Another Super 7 the new rim centers.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #153

3. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looks great Mark! Just in case you might want it I found a blueprint for the Lotus 7 chassis and it's [B]FREE[/B]!

Building a Sevenesque Roadster - -

Check it out!

It is in pdf format and there is also a cut list to accompany it.
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #154

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Once I got the rear body section mounting points established so I could put it on and take it off the frame and have it line up the same every time, I went back to setting up the rear suspension. I made the upper links that determine where the rear wheels would reside in relation to the wheel well openings. More brass…
    I also made the outer CV joints and stubs to mount the rear rotors out of aluminum.

The CV boots will be soft and dyed black like the tires. The mold has already been made from this aluminum master I turned for them.

Another Super 7
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #155

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The fuel filler is made of brass, aluminum and some soft rubbery plastic that was a tube I had lying around from a paint brush bristle protector. Heating over a candle and bending it like sprue Another Super 7 worked well.

The filler will be installed in the trunk.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #156

6. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looking good Mark! Thanks for the inspiration on building one of these. They have always been one of my favorites and after looking at yours and finding some stuff online I had to take the plunge. I am having a blast with it in 1:4 scale and am starting to debate if I want to go with the DOHC Cosworth 4 cylinder or a SBC. It sure wouldn't have to be much more then stock for the V8 to be an absolute rocket!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #157

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    David,
    I am a small black Chevy guy all the way. But this is one car that I think should never have one. The Ford 4 banger would be my first choice. The V8 (even if aluminum) is just too much mass and throws off the balance in more than just weight.

I did experiment with stuffing a V6 into one. Sorry, it is not a large scale model.

But for a real kick in the behind, I think Mazda rotary engine would be a great fit.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #158

8. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    If it were a car that would be driven I agree, the SBC would be much to heavy and easily far to powerful for a street car. In straight line performance though it would be a blast! The Ford 4 cylinder with Cosworth goodies would be perfect. The fact that this is a static model the SBC would look stunning!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #159

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I cast the CV boots out of a rubber-like elastomeric resin Another Super 7 and made half-shafts out of brass. Here is one CV/axle assembly and a “loose boot”. The inboard CV joints are already installed on the pumpkin.

Here are both sides installed into the car. There is enough flexibility for the rear suspension to work. Top:

Bottom:

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #160

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Very nice!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #161

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks!

Here’s more boots… Since I was making CV boots, I decided to make the steering rack boots as well. I turned a master from aluminum and cast soft rubber-like accordion boots.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #162

12. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Mark,
    Could you post info on how you actually made the boots now? Was it similar to the tires?
    Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #163

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Mike,
    Yes, same basic process and materials as the tires, except I used PVC to make the tire master and the CV & rack boot masters are aluminum.

Standard RTV Another Super 7 mold making procedure. And casting Another Super 7 the soft resin Another Super 7 is also just like casting Another Super 7 "normal" hard resin Another Super 7 , except I have to add black dye, and the ratio needs to be measured a bit more carefully to ensure a uniform durometer.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #164

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    After I made a few steering rack bellows, I decided to make the rack, but I needed to make the cross member/mount for the rack first. All these assemblies are made of brass, (except the boots).

Once I install it into the frame with the engine I can get measurements to determine where the steering shaft will go. This one has some “working boots” on it so I’m not worried if they marred during the building.

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #165

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The rack and pinion gears were cut from aluminum and the teeth section of the rack was cemented to brass guides. The rack teeth had to be pitched to match the input angle of the pinion. It does work.

It will be snug fit but the steering shaft should clear the alternator…

Another Super 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #166