Close

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-16-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Mario's XKE turned me on to trying to build one also and then TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build offered the engine kit so I will try to show how the average modeler can build the TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build kit. I hope Mario, when he gets his TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build units, will show how he micro details it.

One of the hang ups will be acorn nuts. The engine will look lousy without them. As a start, I obtained some 5/64th chrome bearing balls and some 0-80 TDR Jaguar XKE engine build nickel nuts to see about size and looks. Image 1 shows one (CA glued together) next to 00-90 TDR Jaguar XKE engine build nut and Dan's stud/nut.

Image 2 shows the acorn next to the kit head nut and image 3 shows it next to the valve cover nut. (sorry about the focus). The 5/64th ball is about even between the two so now I know what sizes to order to actually use but before I do - has anyone got any ideas of a better acorn source??

Second question - if I get the larger and smaller set ups - would anyone like to cast them? Anyone able to cast these would probably also be advanced enough to fillet in the areas between the ball and nut.

Build Photos

TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2646-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2649-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2650-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Looks like you are on the right track there Syd.

I wonder if you could get a drill bit that is about the same size as the bearing and drill down into the nut some. That way you could get the bearing to seat down deeper into the nut. If you could get it to go just short of half way down it might look pretty close to perfect.

Just CA them together and mount on model!!

Oh, just to let you guys know. I have the first protype of the TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build XK ordered and I hope to receive it this week!!
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    That is a good idea because as I compare it a real acorn I see that the acorn head is supposed to be about the diameter of the nut. I think if I have to continue down this path I will need the next up size ball and figure out how to drill the 0-80 TDR Jaguar XKE engine build nut.

In the mean time I have talked to a possible source for acorns. Will advise if things get serious.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    The detail is as good as one can wish for. Note the Jaguar name and 3.8 to its right on the block. (Image 1)

There are many surfaces that should stay rough because they are as cast on the real engine. Note the inlet manifold behind the carbs. (Image 2) And the head. (Image 3)

Then there are the highly polished aluminum valve covers (Image 3) and the front of the head (Image 4).

To see what surfaces meet where one must do minor sanding TDR Jaguar XKE engine build and fitting. (Image 5) I blew it on both the Offy and the 426 by getting involved with sanding TDR Jaguar XKE engine build and forgot too often to do rough assembly as I went along to be sure I wasn’t sanding TDR Jaguar XKE engine build some detail off an edge.

The rough surfaces have layer lines as the printer apparently cannot make a shear faced edge. Each layer has a minor rounding of its edges. This means every surface has to have some sanding TDR Jaguar XKE engine build to try to hide the lines. Other surfaces like the valve covers need to be sanded super smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2758-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-2003-jaguar-select-edition-racing-type-roadster-1962-engine-1280x960-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-picture-8-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-painted-head-040328-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2761-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Is the TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build version going to have three Webers?

You know, you could offer finned cam covers to build a 4.2 version.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Syd,

I'm watching your build of the Jag engine closely, while waiting for mine to come. Got a great source for machined aluminium acorn nuts. RB motion (no website) sells them in different sizes and fine quality. Just google rb motion or visit ebay, where the owner, Rob Bentley, sells some of his goodies.
    Last edited by 3.Star; 02-08-11 at 07:47 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Gang, Syd has a head start on me with the XK. I'll also be putting one together for TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build ad pics as soon as it arrives. I'm not going to spend a fortune on hardware or super detail it.

My goal here is build it using tools and materials that just about every modeler has on hand or bits that can be fabricated without a lot of fuss. In other words it'll follow Syds "average skill" builder approach as that's the category that most of us pass thru on the way to stuff like Mario does. Mine will be using the Weber's so I guess you could call it a mildly hopped up XK.

Syd, don't let me interfere with your build, the more pics we have the better.
    If I find any gremlins in the production model I'll point them out to TDRs design team for running changes.
    All that said, Syd.......would you prefer that I start my own thread or keep it all here in one place......your call, my friend.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Don - working together can be effective and easier for others to follow. AND thanks 3.star. The more avenues for acorns the better. A couple of other sites have expressed some interest but RB motion may already have the solution. Unfortunately the key to this being an effective model will be how we handle the head and valve covers. I plan to use HFC's write up he did for the 426 to try for a chrome plated TDR Jaguar XKE engine build effect but no matter what, the model falls flat w/o acorns.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Syd and Don under one roof!! Follow this thread guys, its going to be interesting.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Syd, if you need any help with the chrome thing, let me know. I'll be happy to help.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    DAN – Will you make these acorns available again in your store? Image 1

DON – You going to use hexagon styrene TDR Jaguar XKE engine build for bolts?

I am going to spend the extra money for real bolts as I have a hard time cutting the hex material exactly the same and for that matter handling the end results properly. So I will drill pilot holes wherever the kit parts show evidence of bolt holes. (Kind of hate to show my kitchen counter shop with all the big shop pictures going on line) Pays to drill the holes before sanding TDR Jaguar XKE engine build so they do not dissapear. Image 2

Image 3 shows the raw kit block texture. It is a little rough to represent as cast for this scale but trying to smooth it and not screw up the details (like the Jaguar logo and the 3.8 on the other side) dictate to me – leave it alone and try a coat of paint first. The pan I will sand TDR Jaguar XKE engine build smooth. I am going to try dark blue on the block instead of factory black so that the detail parts that will be black are more easily seen.

The head and valve covers being the tall pole in the tent I started with them. Image 4. Fortunately the inside of the head is rough cast in the real world so little has to be done to it except to smooth the front side that is always polished Aluminum. The valve covers must be smoothed to look like polished aluminum. Besides sanding TDR Jaguar XKE engine build I am trying a coat of “Mr. Surfacer” to insure a mirror smooth surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2769-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2772-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2760-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2773-jpg 
    Last edited by sydeem; 10-03-09 at 06:02 PM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Syd. Check with Scale Hardware for the smaller nuts and bolts if you need them. They have stainless steel nuts and bolts all the way down to .5mm which translates to 4mm in full scale (about 1/6 of an inch). They're not that expensive and they look fantasitc especially on a dark painted block. The shipping is pretty fast and they'll give you all the help you'd need to get the right assortment of nut and bolt sizes. I've bought from them a couple of times and I've been very happy with the products.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    From what reference I can find it looks like the pan is attached by cap screws but there is only a lip of the block on this side and no through holes. Is there enough meat in the lip to just use cap screws?
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-picture-7-2-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Syd,

got a pic attached, which shows the Jag's oil pan. Hope it'll help you. A perfect site to get reference pics is: XKE Data - Keeping track of every Jaguar E-Type
    I just can't wait to have my engine in hands, to follow your footsteps in this build. Will share all of my research, if requested.

Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by 3.Star; 02-08-11 at 07:47 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks 3.star - can't be sure but it looks like that confirms cap screws on one side but can't tell if they are cap screws or bolts on the lip side. Sure shows that the pan is not particularly smooth.
    Last edited by sydeem; 10-04-09 at 08:40 AM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #15