Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-16-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Mario's XKE turned me on to trying to build one also and then TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build offered the engine kit so I will try to show how the average modeler can build the TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build kit. I hope Mario, when he gets his TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build units, will show how he micro details it.

One of the hang ups will be acorn nuts. The engine will look lousy without them. As a start, I obtained some 5/64th chrome bearing balls and some 0-80 TDR Jaguar XKE engine build nickel nuts to see about size and looks. Image 1 shows one (CA glued together) next to 00-90 TDR Jaguar XKE engine build nut and Dan's stud/nut.

Image 2 shows the acorn next to the kit head nut and image 3 shows it next to the valve cover nut. (sorry about the focus). The 5/64th ball is about even between the two so now I know what sizes to order to actually use but before I do - has anyone got any ideas of a better acorn source??

Second question - if I get the larger and smaller set ups - would anyone like to cast them? Anyone able to cast these would probably also be advanced enough to fillet in the areas between the ball and nut.

Build Photos

TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2646-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2649-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2650-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Syd...what's the size on the plastruct tubing?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I was dealing with 3/32" here but they provide T's, elbows etc in 3/64, 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4". Their tubing goes up to 2".
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Decided to gamble on installing the generator now. Took pictures as I have a habit of knocking things over and this sucker will probably break off before I finish the model.

Image 1 shows the 0.8mm bolts on the bracket ready to meet the block holes.
    Image 2 shows the bracket mounted.
    Image 3 shows the working tension arm mounted and holding the generator in position.

Oops. I see there is still one more bolt to put into the water pump/timing cover. I wasn't sure which of the bolts would be best for the tension arm but the reference pictures usually showed the bottom bolt for attaching.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2851-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2852-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2853-jpg 
    Last edited by sydeem; 10-22-09 at 11:56 AM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Another example of a use for Plastruct Tís is for plug wire boots. Image 1 shows the Plastruct T package, and T work sequence; bottom right is T, next up cut ends and above that sand TDR Jaguar XKE engine build to shape.

There are reference pictures showing the plug looms coming over the center of the head then down to the distributor and coming over the right valve cover and in front of the first carburetor then down to the distributor. Seeing as telephone wire is rather stiff, I think coming over the front of the head as a gathered loom then down to the distributor will create the least strain on everything. From the head to the mounted distributor the wires will be individually cut and inserted then possibly further tied into a loom to finish off. I think having the distributor mounted first will create the least strain on the wire connectors while finishing up.

I am kind of goofing around now because I miss counted the number of acorns required (didn't see that 4 were required for the head breather) plus some of them got away from me as the spring loaded tweezers sent them wherever.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2846-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2855-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Help Tim - I don't know what the scale size should be for the oil filter. If I match a tube to the base it looks kind of big in relation to the block. Should the filter match the indications of an outside shell on the base? I am assuming the filter will be about 3/4" in length when I add end end cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2859-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here is a picture from My Album with engine picture. Hope this helps.

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 10-23-09 at 11:19 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    The oil filter is pretty huge, as you can see form Ken's diagram. OD should match the base, or just an RCH smaller. You can see it's a canister style, with a smooth natural aluminum finish. I believe it was a die-cast part.

For the plug wires, they do travel in a tube between the cam covers and should be black. Or according to Ken's pic, maybe not. I think original was black with a yellow stripe.

You may also want to add booster venturis to the Webers, like this:

This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks for the drawing xken. Scaling it to the kit dimensions the oil filter should be 13/32" dia. and 15/16" length. A monster. So I have the correct tube dia - just have to make it longer.

But I like yellow wire and I doubt my ability to make up booster venturis.
    Might give it a try though.
    Last edited by sydeem; 10-24-09 at 12:20 PM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Until Tim has time to add the coil to the kit it has to be scratch built TDR Jaguar XKE engine build . Here is mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2857-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2860-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's one of the best looking coils I've seen.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #86

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Guess I am about done. Will stare at it a while to see if I should do anything more. Thanks TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build for the opportunity.
    Attached Images Attached Images TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2867-sized-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2861-sized-jpg  TDR Jaguar XKE engine build-img_2862-sized-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #87

12. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Syd, on behalf of all of us at TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build Innovations, I'd like to thank you for all you have done to help us promote TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build products.

Your tutorials have been, and will continue to be, a great help to modellers wanting to build TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build products. Your comments have been honest and informative and we are fortunate to be able to use photos of your builds in our Ebay ads and on our new web site.

We would also like to thank you for your presenting a modellers view of the TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build Offy to the editor of "Custom & Hot TDR Jaguar XKE engine build Rod Models" magazine.

From the TDR TDR Jaguar XKE engine build gang, "Thanks Syd".
    QUOTE QUOTE #88

13. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Syd.........!!!!! That engine looks great!!!!

It is really strange seeing it in real life......I am use to seeing it on the computer screen.....but it takes on a whole new personallity when it is done up in real life!!

Great job Syd
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #89

14. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    awesome work on the engine.

Cheers

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #90

15. zaticon1's Avatar Member
    Name
    Zat
    Ah, the dear ol' Jag "Bucket O' Rocks" tranny. I used to threaten to steal the box out of my dads' TRACTOR for my Jag! :-D
    QUOTE QUOTE #91