Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-23-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here's where we'll continue ERAChas' thoughts on the car we love the best, the Cobra.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/

The above link is one incredible Cobra link. If I had the cash, I'd get one of those black street 289 Cobras with a coupe top. Check out the polished aluminum Cobras and make sure you check out the brushed copper bodied 40 Ford under the custom link on that site. Thanks Chas for finding this one.

For Cobra Lovers
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    All this talk about Fords and Cobras makes me realize I'm getting a bit long in the tooth. The pics that have been posted are what comes to mind when folks speak of them but I can't help but remember back to the days of the Sunbeam Tiger with it's 289 and the original AC Cobra.
    I also remember the Tiger. A buddy had one when I was in high school, with all the factory options: Tiger valve covers, Tri-Y headers, and magnesium wheels that had gone as porous as a loofah. His dad rolled a 440+6 Cuda.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    I cast my vote for a 289 Cobra.
    Someone say they wanted a 289 Cobra engine??? Here's the scoop. I have a rare Revell For Cobra Lovers 1/12 '66 GT-350 Mustang kit that I haven't even touched yet. I could get all the engine/trans parts together and take a pic to post on the site. If you guys are interested, maybe we could get the TDR For Cobra Lovers guys to do a few copies in 1/12, 1/8 and maybe even in 1/6. It's your call... Let me know!!! If that ain't enough, I have a real Weiand Tunnel ram for the 289-302, an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake and a 5.0 EFI Cobra intake for the '93 Cobra Buttstangs. Need Pictures???
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Guido ol' buddy.....thanks for the offer but understand that TDR For Cobra Lovers doesn't copy or re-pop our products. We may use existing stuff for reference material but it's up to our design team to "create" our goodies. We WILL NOT side step the leg work to make a buck.

I know that sounds like biased lip service for TDR For Cobra Lovers but (off the record) if we show any profit on these ventures it goes right back into developing more products for you guys.
    Nuff said?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Gang....while I was at the shop this morning I took a few eye candy pics for your amusement. The pics may not be the best but I hadn't had my coffee fix yet...they are mostly Blue Oval toys but I stuck in the "Sasparilla Kid" just for giggles.
    Attached Images Attached Images For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-002-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-003-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-004-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-005-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-006-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-019-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-020-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-021-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-023-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-022-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-016-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-007-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-009-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-010-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-011-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-013-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-014-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-017-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-018-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-024-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-025-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-026-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-027-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-028-jpg  For Cobra Lovers-eye-candy-029-jpg 
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 07-25-09 at 08:56 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Just when I get all nice and dry, Don goes and puts up those pics. I need a towel again. I hope WalMart has a special on Depends.

For Cobra Lovers
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Guido ol' buddy.....thanks for the offer but understand that TDR For Cobra Lovers doesn't copy or re-pop our products. We may use existing stuff for reference material but it's up to our design team to "create" our goodies. We WILL NOT side step the leg work to make a buck.

I know that sounds like biased lip service for TDR For Cobra Lovers but (off the record) if we show any profit on these ventures it goes right back into developing more products for you guys.
    Nuff said?
    Sorry man........ I was just tryin' to help out.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Food for thought guys..........(click the photo to enlarge)
    __________________________________________________ ___
    AC Ace
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AC Ace
    Manufacturer AC Cars
    Production 1951–1962
    Class Roadster
    Body style(s) 2-door roadster
    Engine(s) 2.0 L I6/2.6 L
    Transmission(s) 4-speed manual (With overdrive available)
    Wheelbase 90 in (2286 mm) [1]
    Length 152 in (3861 mm)[1]
    Width 59.5 in (1511 mm) [1]
    Height 49 in (1245 mm) [1]
    Curb weight 1920 lb (871 kg)
    Related AC Cobra
    AC Ace is a car made by AC Cars of Thames Ditton, England.

AC came back to the market after the Second World War with the staid Two-litre range of cars in 1947, but it was with the Ace sports car of 1953 that the company really made its reputation in the post war years. Casting For Cobra Lovers around for a replacement for the ageing Two litre, AC took up a design by John Tojeiro[1] that used a light ladder type tubular frame, all independent transverse leaf spring suspension and an outstandingly pretty, open two seater alloy body, that was made using English wheeling machines, clearly inspired by the Ferrari Barchetta of the day.

Early cars used AC's elderly two litre, overhead cam, 100 bhp (70 kW), straight six engine (first seen soon after the end of the First World War) which gave a top speed of 102 mph (164 km/h) and 0-60 mph (96 km/h) in 13 seconds. It was hardly a sporting engine, however, and it was felt that something more modern and powerful was required to put the modern chassis to good use. Thus, from 1956, there was the option of Bristol Car's superb two litre 120 bhp (89 kW) straight six engine with 3 downdraught carburettors and slick four speed gearbox. Top speed leapt to 116 mph (186 km/h) with 0-60 (96 km/h) in the nine second bracket, and response was much sweeter and modern. This was replaced in 1962 with the 2.6 liter Ken Rudd 'Ruddspeed' engine, adapted from that used in the Ford Zephyr. It used 3 Weber or SU carburettors and either a 'Mays' or iron cast head. This set up boosted the car's performance further, but it was not long before Carroll Shelby pulled AC's attention to the Cobra, so only about 40 were ever made.

In the final years of productions some Ace models were fitted with the MKII Ford Zephyr 2.6 litre straight-6 engine. These Ford engined models had a smaller grille which was carried over to the Cobra.

Overdrive was available from 1956 and front disc brakes were an option from 1957, although they were later standardized. With the engine well back in the chassis, the Ace handled well and was successful in competition.

Joining the Ace in 1954 was the Aceca hard top coupé, which had an early form of hatchback rear door but used the same basic timber framed alloy body.
    Attached Images Attached Images For Cobra Lovers-ac_ace-jpg 
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 07-26-09 at 02:14 PM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    Don the Ace is a great choice. I have always admired the tri-carb Bristol cars.
    The form is pure and honest, a very 'proper' English Roadster.
    Not like my version of SC with bulges, scoops, slots, rivets and hips everywhere.
    One is pleasing to look at, the other exciting to see. Just MHO.

Of course the Vette guys on here would argue that...
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Chas, I couldn't have said it better myself. That's what attracts me to the 289 rather than the 427. To me, the 427 is pure muscle, little different from from an early Camaro or GTO but much more powerful. It'll get you where you want to go and fast. The 289 is like you said a pure roadster, a sports car complete with wire wheels and bucket seats and a lot more fun to drive around like an Austin Healy 3000 or old Jag XK 120.

For Cobra Lovers
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Guys, this is the type of discussion that results in new projects coming to fruition. Chas has started a thread that is growing and informative. Over the next few weeks, I'll be discussing your comments, suggestions and wish lists with the TDR For Cobra Lovers partners and something will come of this. Whether its a new body or two, some blue oval engines or even an 8th scale "kit car", its up to you.

I have one request though......please, lets not let this thread be hijacked by real car stuff. In order for TDR For Cobra Lovers to be able to satisfy modellers needs, we really need to hear from more of our members, in particular those who would like to build what we're discussing. We'd like to see this thread continue, and we need to hear from more of our members.

Speak up!
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    "...like an Austin Healy 3000 or old Jag XK 120."
    There you go! Hot For Cobra Lovers Ford has hit it. How about the TDR For Cobra Lovers guys do a Healy 3000, a [I]Morgan[/I] or mebbe Sunbeam Tiger??? How about it you UK/European connoisseurs! These came from your "hometown".

No licensing BS involved there, just a cooperative owner. We've already got great XKE stuff which seems popular here.

How about those for TDR For Cobra Lovers fodder? C'mon guys from around the world-pro or con, let's give Rick's guys some input.
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    I'd love to see a big Healey :)'
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    I know I'm new here but it's sad to see nearly no feedback on TDR For Cobra Lovers 's request to hear from the membership on products we'd like to see. I'm hoping it's because it's summer and guys are active or vacationing. If there's such a thing as a 'building season' I guess that starts in the fall.
    Personally I'd like to give these guys ideas now (and have!) so they bring out desired product for that building season.
    Remember, it doesn't have to be just a 'who wants Cobras' thread.
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Well if we want to go wishing - I wish for a classic original 1934 3 window ford coupe complete with mechanical brakes a la the Pocher approach. I tried to scratch build For Cobra Lovers an original 32 some time back and crashed with the front suspension. The original flathead was not too tough and as TDR For Cobra Lovers has one is in the works only the body and front suspension are a hang up now.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    I would like to see a VW Beetle, Porsche 911 and a big healey.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #46