Builder Last Online: Jun 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-07-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Guess what's this

Dan....take a look!

Mario

Build Photos

Guessy, Guessy...-p7070039-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070040-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070041-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070042-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070043-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070053-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070054-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070055-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070057-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070058-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070061-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070063-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070064-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070065-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070066-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070068-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070059-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070060-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Looks like you are building the Monogram E type kit. I have one still in the box, needs a great deal of work to get accurate, but then I have a real one for comparison.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    I recognize the Jaguar rear end - my neighbor is putting one under a Lincoln Zephyr.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Cookies for Ken & Nortley!
    A Jag Type E it is.....bought 3 kits from Dan and I'm planning to do an excrutiatingly superdetailed models out of them....one straight street car and a second one as a competition model....I love this car so I'll take my time to detail as much as I can....
    The pics in the last post shows an effort to make the rear suspension fully functional and I managed to succeed....

If Ken would be so kind as to share pics of his 1/1 Guessy, Guessy... model, I would be eternally grateful!

The Monogram kit has left a lot of detail out, but after my experiences with the Pocher kits, I'm ready to get it well done....

Till the next one....

Mario

Guessy, Guessy...
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I have a complete rearend buried in my wood shed. I will dig it out and get some nice unobstructed pics for you Mario. Just make sure and don't model any of the wood shavings or spider webs on yours....

I also have a spare 3rd member setting out seperate, I will get some good shots of that too.

Tim
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Nice work Mario, I like these kits.......it's a refreshing break from the R/M Deuce and T. As ken mentioned there's plenty of room for detailing and improvement. There are some excellent builds in the gallery and a lot of info available on the net as well as Ken having one of the nicest examples I've ever seen...I do believe Ken's car is probably much nicer than what rolled out of the factory back in the day.

Very little if anything has been done to improve this kit since I bought my first one back when it was wearing the Monogram moniker. Even with the somewhat lack luster detail it's a great starting point for a top notch build. Save your left over parts...who knows, perhaps one day the Hot Guessy, Guessy... Rod bug will bite you and you'll build an early funny car just for giggles.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytonatim View Post
    I have a complete rearend buried in my wood shed. I will dig it out and get some nice unobstructed pics for you Mario. Just make sure and don't model any of the wood shavings or spider webs on yours....

I also have a spare 3rd member setting out seperate, I will get some good shots of that too.

Tim
    That would be great!................Thanks a lot, Tim...

Mario

Guessy, Guessy...
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Nice work Mario, I like these kits.......it's a refreshing break from the R/M Deuce and T. As ken mentioned there's plenty of room for detailing and improvement. There are some excellent builds in the gallery and a lot of info available on the net as well as Ken having one of the nicest examples I've ever seen...I do believe Ken's car is probably much nicer than what rolled out of the factory back in the day.

Very little if anything has been done to improve this kit since I bought my first one back when it was wearing the Monogram moniker. Even with the somewhat lack luster detail it's a great starting point for a top notch build. Save your left over parts...who knows, perhaps one day the Hot Guessy, Guessy... Rod bug will bite you and you'll build an early funny car just for giggles.
    Hey buddy!................liking this build?....Ya ain't seen nothing yet!

Best regards...

Mario

Guessy, Guessy...
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Here it is....almost ready to be disassembled and painted...

The working joints have all tiny O rings (From disposable lighters Guessy, Guessy... ), which works as dampening elements.

See the closing plate which is bolted in place with scale hardware, reinforcements made of acrylic Guessy, Guessy... plate and styrene Guessy, Guessy... sheets...

Next step is scratchbuilding the semi-axes, universal joints and well tempered wheel carriers turned from brass and threaded to receive the wheel nut...

The differential box is being treated as it should, assembled with bolts and the adding of many details the kit left out....

The angle given to the suspension receiving plate, gave the correct wheel toe-in when at rest...

These are happy times.....raining outside....the best environment for modeling...

Mario

Guessy, Guessy...
    Attached Images Attached Images Guessy, Guessy...-p7070001-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070002-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070003-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070004-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070005-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070006-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070007-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070008-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070009-jpg  Guessy, Guessy...-p7070010-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    I dug out some pics of the jag's rear end. Maybe they're useful. Mario, how about building the low-drag Coupe Lightweight Version (4868 WK) , driven by Peter Lindner, who died in this car after a crash at Montlhery in 1964? It is said to be the highest evoluted Race E-Type, and with its special body, there's a nice building challenge for you. A perfect replica of this car was placed in the Rosso-Bianco collection until 2005. The wreck of the original car was stored in their garages and never exhibited.
    Last edited by 3.Star; 02-08-11 at 06:47 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. troppo's Avatar Established Member
    I`ll be following this one closely, it looks like its going to be a great model.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Mario, here is a breakdown of the rearend from the manual. I have every manual and most books ever published on the E-type, if you need any details just let me know and I will see what I can find for you. Go to "My Albums" for some of my reference pictures of my car and engine.

Another picture from manual. These are scanned full size you may have to copy from my album to get good readable images.

Keep up the great work!

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 07-08-09 at 06:12 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by xken View Post
    Mario, here is a breakdown of the rearend from the manual. I have every manual and most books ever published on the E-type, if you need any details just let me know and I will see what I can find for you. Go to "My Albums" for some of my reference pictures of my car and engine.

Another picture from manual. These are scanned full size you may have to copy from my album to get good readable images.

Keep up the great work!

Ken
    Hey Ken!....major contribution, these drawings...thanks very much....I'll be abusing of your patience along with my build, these drawings really can help me!

Thanks again

Mario

Guessy, Guessy...
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.Star View Post
    I dug out some pics of the jag's rear end. Maybe they're useful. Mario, how about building the low-drag Coupe Lightweight Version (4868 WK) , driven by Peter Lindner, who died in this car after a crash at Montlhery in 1964? It is said to be the highest evoluted Race E-Type, and with its special body, there's a nice building challenge for you. A perfect replica of this car was placed in the Rosso-Bianco collection until 2005. The wreck of the original car was stored in their garages and never exhibited.

Thanks much for the pics, Star....great idea in modeling Lindner's car, but where can I get data of it?

Mario

Guessy, Guessy...
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Just shared this link with DaytonaTim, you may wish to save this link as well. Scroll down to replacement parts, click on a section you are interested in and a PDF will open with part drawings. Enjoy!

XKs Unlimited ? E-Type Master Catalog, Vol. 16

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #15