Close

1/18th Jaguar D Type
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/18th Jaguar D Type 1/18th Jaguar D Type 1/18th Jaguar D Type 1/18th Jaguar D Type 1/18th Jaguar D Type
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-07-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Well, I looked around and was not sure if this is the right spot for this little build up. I don't think 1/18th scale is considered a "large scale car" but I did not know where else to put it. Dan if you want to move this post feel free.

Well, the 8th Offy is finished now and I think I will move on to the little Jag D type I have sitting around. I made this 18th scale version up for three resons.

1) To make a quick curbside D type model to add to my diecast collection of 50's and 60's road racing cars

2) As a test run for the body model in preparation for going up to larger scales.

3) To get a little practice finishing out a rapid prototyped body before I move on to the larger scales.

The first thing I did was mount the hood up to the back portion of the body. That way I will finish it all together to assure things mate up perfectly. Then I enhanced the body seams with an exacto and micro file. Then I shot the body with some standard black primer 1/18th Jaguar D Type

This primer 1/18th Jaguar D Type will act as a guide coat as I start sanding 1/18th Jaguar D Type and it should fill in the body seams so I can see them really well.

Well, here are a few pics.

1/18th Jaguar D Type

Build Photos

1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1749-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1751-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1822-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1825-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1824-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1826-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1827-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Thanks Tim. I've posted up some of the things I've done in the digital workbench.
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...html#post34520
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Steve. I'm glad any inaccuracy is insignificant. I'd go nuts trying to figure out where to compensate for all the dimensional changes.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    About 2 years ago I found a website that showed the construction of a reproduction Jaguar D type. Not a fiberglass kit mind you, a true reproduction of the D type. Well, just as I was starting to do some serious research for this model of the D type the site was taken off the web and I had not saved any of the pics.

Figured I could always go to the site and see the pics..........WRONG!!!!

Well one of our SMC friends, Herman, put me onto this website that archives old deleted websites and guess what, I was able to find it and download a lot of the original pics that where displayed there. Everything was not there but I probably got about 80% of what was originally shown.

Anyway, here is a link to the page.

http://web.archive.org/web/200708161...1_archive.html

Just click on the selections under the archive to see other pics. If you appreciate fine craftsmanship you really ought to look at these guys work. I have posted up a few of the pics to tempt you.

1/18th Jaguar D Type
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/18th Jaguar D Type-front-subframe-2-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-front-subframe-4-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-interior-1-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-interior-3-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-interior-4-jpg 
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-10-09 at 01:14 PM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    Wow Tim,
    These photos are invaluable. So these guys were building a 1:1 1/18th Jaguar D Type reproduction from scratch? Did they have a real car to work from? And they were going to drop in their own XK engine? Did they ever finish? I'm sorry, you kind of lost me on the link up, could you post a direct connection? Again, these photos are fantastic - Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 46SuperDeluxe View Post
    Wow Tim,
    These photos are invaluable. So these guys were building a 1:1 1/18th Jaguar D Type reproduction from scratch? Did they have a real car to work from? And they were going to drop in their own XK engine? Did they ever finish? I'm sorry, you kind of lost me on the link up, could you post a direct connection? Again, these photos are fantastic - Gary
    They sure are invaluable, that is why I was kicking myself for not downloading them when the site disappeared.

Yes, they were building a 1:1 1/18th Jaguar D Type car from scratch. They obtained as many original D type parts as they could and worked from original plans.

Yes, they dropped in an XK egine and yes they did finish it. You wont find any pictures of the finished car on the archive site though. I guess the newer pictures did not make it in the archives but thank goodness the older, fabrication, pics did.

My fault on the link......I forgot to put it in the posting. I have added it now

Tim

1/18th Jaguar D Type
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I got a little bit done last night and tonight.

I shot my two coats of highbuild primer 1/18th Jaguar D Type on and then sanded it down till I just started cutting into the RP 1/18th Jaguar D Type material just a little. I did not bother with a second application of the highbuilds, the model did not really need it because it was really smooth after the first wet sanding 1/18th Jaguar D Type . I was really please with how easy the body was to finish out it only took about 1.5 hours worth of work with some 400 grit paper to get her to where she was ready to paint.

After the sanding 1/18th Jaguar D Type , I then cleaned up the body seams some. I wanted them to really stand out and not be washed out by the high build primers.

I then shot it with some Krylon Fusion gloss black. I figured the black would high light any imperfections in the body finish and make it easier to get the finish to near perfect. Next I plan to hit the black with some 2000 grit wet sand 1/18th Jaguar D Type paper and then buff it out to a nice shine.

I will then take the car to its final color, which will be Model Masters buffed aluminium and see if I can give the D type that "in the raw" alluminium fab look.

Well here are a few pics.

1/18th Jaguar D Type
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1833-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1834-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1835-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm going to watch this one closely. So far, it looks like a great success.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Well, I had that dread paint problem......you know where you have your base coate all buffed out and then the final finish coat crinkles all up when you shoot it on!!!!!!

I knew something was not right with that black Fusion paint. It never seemed to get good and hard.

So, I just took a rag with some paint thinner 1/18th Jaguar D Type on it and started wiping. It took off the silver that I just shot and the black that was on there for a couple of days. Took them both right off and did not touch the primer 1/18th Jaguar D Type coats.

So I just shot it with some black primer 1/18th Jaguar D Type and then shot it with some Krylon chrome and then two coats of clear. Everything worked fine this time. I will let it set while I am working on the chassis and let it get good and dry before I buff it out some.

Well, here are a few pics

1/18th Jaguar D Type
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1844-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1845-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1846-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1847-jpg  1/18th Jaguar D Type-100_1848-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Looks like an aluminum body!! I like!!!...
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Looking great. The surface looks very smooth and the aluminum effect looks like it's there in full.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    You got me thinking 1/8th Cheetah again Tim.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Finding that computer model is the tough part Don.

1/18th Jaguar D Type
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yeah I know, haven't had much luck with that.

There have been some re-pops over the years but there were only 23 original cars built.
    They have been used for road racing as well as drag cars, one turned 215mph at Daytona.

It's didn't last long as Chevy pulled it's support and the original factory burned down.
    Stange looking little car but it was hot 1/18th Jaguar D Type stuff back in the day.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 06-14-09 at 11:18 AM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I'll keep my eyes peeled, incase one pops up on the web.

1/18th Jaguar D Type
    QUOTE QUOTE #31