Close

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster
Accepted Payment Types

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-07-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I have all the reference materials including the real car in my garage to build this. This will be a follow on tutorial to the Model T build with a more complicated subject that will take a great deal more time to build. A this point I am not really sure where I will end up but hope to learn more about building cars instead of planes and have a little fun doing it.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-001-jpg
      Here is the start of the engine by locating the cylinders. I usually start my builds with the engine which is generally the most difficult and time consuming part of the build. Here I have marked, center punch and starting with a smaller drill bit; drilling the holes. Initially the two sheets were spray glued together to locate the holes, then separated for subsequent drilling.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-002-jpg
      I drilled holes progressively larger to one size below the finished size. This was done for both parts of the top and bottom of the block, which are the scribe lines on the sheets.
      I then used a larger ream to very carefully sneak up on a press fit for each cylinder tube. The press fit is critical for holding the parts in space while being soldered. This start will be the foundation of the engine assembly.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-003-jpg
      Here the first sheet has been reamed with cylinder walls press fit in place. The engine drawing at 1/8th scale is in the background.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-004-jpg
      Here the second sheet has been clamped to the first to be matched. In using a drill press drift and out of round will occur, the ream gets the holes back to round for a press fit. The second sheet once clamped in place need trimming to match and this was accomplished very carefully using a sharp X-acto blade and the first sheet as the pattern to match to. The blade will carve away the brass and work slowly to not only achieve the match but also the press fit.

Build Photos

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-jaguar-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Well Ken, a master like you will never really know, how hot Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster fingertips can be
    But I am now a Johnny Cash fan, "ring of fire" It burns,burns,burns..a.s.o
    Last edited by 3.Star; 11-24-11 at 12:38 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Hot Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster fingers Foran?
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Tage, that moniker would have been more appropriate when I was younger and in my prime.

Here the timing cover has been bolted into position on the block and will make it easier to hold for final cleanup. I also need it in place to start the work on the crankshaft bearing locations.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-085-jpg

Thank goodness for modern technology....here is a scan and printout of the cover as a pattern for the mating base of the water pump. This same technique will be used to develop the head and oil pan patterns as well. The scan was edited in Photoshop to just the shape that was needed and much more accurate and faster than drawing it.

The printout was spray glued to 1/32" sheet and all the clearance holes drilled with #55 bit before sawing the perimeter of the shape. The center hole will be where the pump shaft will be located in the center of the circle once the shaft is turned. I am doing this now just while I am thinking through the crankshaft building process in my head.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-086-jpg

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving! Here in America we have a great deal to be thankful for this day.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    If you haven't tried the soldering, you're missing alot. I found that it's way easier and much more predictable than working with styrene Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster .
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. Back in the early 90's I worked at a Jag (and others) shop down in Columbus. This build is bringing back a lot of memories!
    QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    More water pump fabrication.

Here the second layer was cut out and indexed using toothpicks for alignment. A thin ream was used to locate center a 00-90 Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster washer and the perimeter of the washer was scribed for final shape to file to. This was done for each boss location.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-087-jpg

Once the second layer was filed to final shape it was edge soldered around the perimeter with above tooth picks Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster in place.
    Then the 00-90 Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster washers were soldered in place. The taller standing boss locations were drilled with a 1/16th drill bit and 1/16th tubes inserted and then a shorter telescoping tube was slipped over the 1/16th tube and both soldered in place by adding solder first at the base and then at the shoulder of the 1/15th tube. Once cooled the excess tube was cut off and filed to correct height.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-088-jpg

Here the pump with all the needed bosses bolted in place. All bolt locations were first drilled with #55 drill bit for clearance hole
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-089-jpg

Just for reference this is the pump and kind of drawings I am using form my repair manual.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-090-jpg

The next forms will be much more complicated to fabricate going from a flat rectangle shape to a 90 degree bent round tube. However, for now honey-do's are calling.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    The next step is going to be interested to see, build up or from a solid block ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Im really looking forward to this build. There are so many things in the Jag that weren't covered with the model T. Like windows, adjustable seats, carpet and a roof.
    QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars View Post
    Im really looking forward to this build. There are so many things in the Jag that weren't covered with the model T. Like windows, adjustable seats, carpet and a roof.
    I agree. I am really interested in seeing how he does the body. One of the things on my "to-do" list is a 1/8 scale 1955 Chevy Nomad. I need to practice body making skills some more first...

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Fabricating the water pump, this was like building a piece of jewelry.

First the impeller body was turned on the lathe with a 1/16th hole drilled for the shaft and then the flat was filed to receive the pump body. Also note the bolt boss locations were also filed to fit.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-091-jpg

Here the holes were drilled for the bolt bosses and indexed against the previously filed flat area. The shape was then drawn on the 1/16th thick piece of sheet stock.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-092-jpg

The pump body was sawed out and checked in location, the upper curve needed some additional shaping with files to finalize the contour. It is better to make rough cuts a little large than too small, you can easily file away material.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-093-jpg

Once satisfied with the contour the shape was glued to the sheet and used as a pattern to cut two additional pieces to build up the pump body thickness. Note the 1/32" holes drilled for mechanical interlock and alignment.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-094-jpg

Here the three lamination layers were then soldered together and shaped with files and the area near the flat fine tuned with a ball cutter in a dremel Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster tool.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-095-jpg

This shows the tight dry fit that required a little patience to attain.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-096-jpg

Here the parts are soldered together using Staybrite solder with a very hot Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster iron,.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-097-jpg

This shows the finished component with the additional inlets soldered in place and final shaped and cleaned.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-098-jpg

This shows the test fit prior to final cleaning with pumice as seen in the above image. The three empty holes will require smaller bolt heads which have not been added yet.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-099-jpg

This was a tricky little assembly which shows how assemblies can easily be made by the lamination/fabrication process using around 24 individual parts, the value of small part mechanical interlock and patient soldering.

I am sure that machining of this would assembly would require much more time than a couple of hours of hand fabricating.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #86

11. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Beautiftl ken...a joy tp look at!
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #87

12. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Good shot gentleman, another lesson... Thank you!
    QUOTE QUOTE #88

13. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Very nice done, now you only need to hollow out and drill holes so the impeller can circulate the water
    QUOTE QUOTE #89

14. FineModelCars's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Karsten
    WOW, i am speakless of this handmade work and curious of the result of the finished car.
    QUOTE QUOTE #90

15. Don't make those joints too tight, Ken. If it doesn't leak, everyone will know it's a model
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #91