Close

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-07-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I have all the reference materials including the real car in my garage to build this. This will be a follow on tutorial to the Model T build with a more complicated subject that will take a great deal more time to build. A this point I am not really sure where I will end up but hope to learn more about building cars instead of planes and have a little fun doing it.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-001-jpg
      Here is the start of the engine by locating the cylinders. I usually start my builds with the engine which is generally the most difficult and time consuming part of the build. Here I have marked, center punch and starting with a smaller drill bit; drilling the holes. Initially the two sheets were spray glued together to locate the holes, then separated for subsequent drilling.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-002-jpg
      I drilled holes progressively larger to one size below the finished size. This was done for both parts of the top and bottom of the block, which are the scribe lines on the sheets.
      I then used a larger ream to very carefully sneak up on a press fit for each cylinder tube. The press fit is critical for holding the parts in space while being soldered. This start will be the foundation of the engine assembly.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-003-jpg
      Here the first sheet has been reamed with cylinder walls press fit in place. The engine drawing at 1/8th scale is in the background.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-004-jpg
      Here the second sheet has been clamped to the first to be matched. In using a drill press drift and out of round will occur, the ream gets the holes back to round for a press fit. The second sheet once clamped in place need trimming to match and this was accomplished very carefully using a sharp X-acto blade and the first sheet as the pattern to match to. The blade will carve away the brass and work slowly to not only achieve the match but also the press fit.

Build Photos

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-jaguar-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Okay gang, I'll give Dan a call and see if he's willing to set-up a section for hay burners....... assuming that Ken is willing to over see & moderate the section?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #602

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Don, while you are on the phone with Dan please give him our best wishes and let him know we hope to see him back soon.
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #603

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Will do.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #604

4. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Thank you.
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #605

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Okay gang, I'll give Dan a call and see if he's willing to set-up a section for hay burners....... assuming that Ken is willing to over see & moderate the section?
    Don, any word yet on the hay burner forum? There are some fantastic builds going on out there that would benefit builders here. Especially those who like to work with wood as well.

Yes, I can help and monitor.

I am wrapping up the Western Buckboard the Model Expo item # will be MS6004. I am still trying to figure out how to do isometric drawings, I should have learned this years ago on the computer. Oh well old dog learning new tricks.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #606

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Ken, you're timing is spot on...I talked with Dan today and you got it my friend........he may contact you directly or just go ahead and set it up, dunno,....at any rate you will have a spot on the stage for hay burners or what ever you want to call them.
    Actually, I didn't even have to do the hard sell gig.......you've earned it and Dan is aware of it...so you get your own sand Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster box.
    Make of it what you will....fair nuff?
    We have some extremely talented good folks on this site and SMC really appreciates it.........it's kind of like the old black & white TV program "You Asked For It".
    We'd like to give all our "active members" their own little individual corners but we'd have to buy a warehouse full of servers just to handle the load. Have fun and many thanks from the Admin. for the time and effort you've put into the site.
    If you have problems getting in touch with Dan.....drop me an email.....I know where he lives, hee, hee.
    QUOTE QUOTE #607

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Bump

Ken, Iso drawings are a snap....all you really need to do is pick a "vanishing point" and have a pencil, pen & ruler. No software needed.
    If you need more info I'd be more than happy to explain the basics.
    QUOTE QUOTE #608

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Don,

Thanks for the help! I am sure once we get the word out the hay burners will come. There really are some great examples of models being build around the world in 1/12 and 1/8th scales. I have sent Dan an email responding to his and hope we can get going soon enough.

The Buckboard kit is ramping up for production and I have released all but the plans and I am waiting for the assembly instructions to come back from their proof reader.

Yes I to am an old school draftsman and learned on vellum and mechanical pencils. Now everyone wants CAD files so this old dog is trying to learn new tricks. CAD will be just another tool in the ole toolbox. Like anything new, a challenge at first then all smooth once learned.

Again thanks for your help!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #609

9. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Ken, if you need any help with the CAD aspect of things, let me know. I managed to learn Pro/E, Solidworks, Rhino, Alias, and Vellum Cobalt on my own through lots of trial and error, so I'm sure you will pick it up in no time. If you get stuck on something and just need someone to model something up in 3D for you, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #610

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Steve,
    Thank you for your kind offer to help. Yes I keep plugging away and some of the online tutorials do help. What I really need is someone close to spend some time with me sorting out some of the functions and what they mean.

I will keep you in mind if I get stuck on something. Thanks Again!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #611

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Would love to see this build resurrected.... Hint Hint... KEN......
    QUOTE QUOTE #612

12. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    ^ +1
    QUOTE QUOTE #613

13. VintageModMan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Gary
    I third that! :)

Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #614