Close

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster
Accepted Payment Types

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-07-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I have all the reference materials including the real car in my garage to build this. This will be a follow on tutorial to the Model T build with a more complicated subject that will take a great deal more time to build. A this point I am not really sure where I will end up but hope to learn more about building cars instead of planes and have a little fun doing it.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-001-jpg
      Here is the start of the engine by locating the cylinders. I usually start my builds with the engine which is generally the most difficult and time consuming part of the build. Here I have marked, center punch and starting with a smaller drill bit; drilling the holes. Initially the two sheets were spray glued together to locate the holes, then separated for subsequent drilling.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-002-jpg
      I drilled holes progressively larger to one size below the finished size. This was done for both parts of the top and bottom of the block, which are the scribe lines on the sheets.
      I then used a larger ream to very carefully sneak up on a press fit for each cylinder tube. The press fit is critical for holding the parts in space while being soldered. This start will be the foundation of the engine assembly.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-003-jpg
      Here the first sheet has been reamed with cylinder walls press fit in place. The engine drawing at 1/8th scale is in the background.
      Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-004-jpg
      Here the second sheet has been clamped to the first to be matched. In using a drill press drift and out of round will occur, the ream gets the holes back to round for a press fit. The second sheet once clamped in place need trimming to match and this was accomplished very carefully using a sharp X-acto blade and the first sheet as the pattern to match to. The blade will carve away the brass and work slowly to not only achieve the match but also the press fit.

Build Photos

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-jaguar-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Giovanni's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Giovanni
    Ken,Have you thought of using titanium rod or wire for holding your parts during soldering?Nothing will stick to titanium and it acts as a heat sink.Regards,Giovanni
    Last edited by Giovanni; 10-20-11 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Margins
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Ken, could you explain what a 00-90 Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster bolt is? Being English I only know BA standards for small screw threads. Could you give dimensions, please?

Mr.Tin
    A man needs a plan...and a shed
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    [B]Mr. Tin[/B] please follow this link to bolt sizes from .5mm through 0-80 Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster all dimensions are listed in chart form for comparison. Print it out for future reference.http://www.scalehardware.com/threaded-hex-bolts-c-1

[B]Giovanni,[/B] great idea I currently use very soft binding wire which is extremely cost effective for some applications. In this case the end of the tooth pick was inserted into the hole in the side wall for positioning during soldering. The 3/64" tube was actually soldered into the boss while also acting as a locator and then became the drill guide for tapping the 00-90 Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster threads.

[B]Daniel,[/B] the heat of the iron tip is focused on the tube and the top of the boss with an ample amount of flux and rather than hold the iron on steadily it is better to touch and retract the tip to let it reheat and apply again. Always heat the thicker part. Think of the heat as water flowing into the part. Holding the tip in place continuously will cool the tip resulting in cold joints. Try the hold and retract, also an existing solder joint becomes difficult to desolder especially with a mechanical interlock such as a tube or pin.

I will be out of town this weekend and then next Tuesday heading to visit my granddaughter.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Giovanni's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Giovanni
    Ken,This is all a beautiful block build that you are so skillfully doing. Keep up the great work and try not to be too distracted by us.I have been working on my full scale 1975 XJ-6 Coupe for over 22 years now so I really enjoy seeing your build progress.My coupe has nearly all of the British specification conversion, sans the right-hand steering. Even the fat US spec bumpers are changed out to the Euro-style ones. I also converted the auto "slush-box" to the 4-speed over-drive transmission. It now handles more like an E-Type.
    Last edited by Giovanni; 10-20-11 at 06:56 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Oh man, this is gonna be good! Pass the popcorn.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Any progress here lately??

BTW, thanks for the link to Scale Hardware. Very nice, but too expensive for me. I was wondering what the numbers 00-80 actually refer to. I remember Revell Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster kits having 5-40 threaded screws, but nobody knew what they meant!

Mr.Tin
    Last edited by Mr.Tin; 10-27-11 at 07:13 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. ewaskew's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Earl
    This is going to be very nice when you get it finished.
    I like to scratch build Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster myself but I use plastic.
    You builder's that do the brass thing amaze me.
    Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Will Ferris's Avatar Member
    Name
    will
    I believe the first number has to do with the major diameter of the screw and the second one is threads per inch How to Read a Screw Thread Callout - wikiHow
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Greetings from Morro Bay, California. I am out here visiting with my 6 month old grand daughter and will be out of the loop for another week. They live about a 1,000 feet from the ocean and it is great to have a coffee in the morning and watch waves breaking on the beach.

Will is correct the 000; 00; 0; 1;...etc. refer to the diameter size and the second number is thread count per inch.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    FYI, these screw terms have been added to the Model Dictionary. Thanks Ken.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    After a great vacation visiting our kids and new grand daughter in Morrow Bay, California I am getting back into the engine.

Here is an overall view of the right side which has had the locations of various elements marked with a pencil and then spot drilled. I am saving the freeze plugs for later now that I think I have figured out how to make all seven needed.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-035-jpg
    Here is a close up of the lower row of bolts that have been drilled and tapped. The #61 drill and tap can be seen on the lower right of the picture. The engine mount locations are also lower right and the long bolt just visible is drilled and tapped through the curve of the block. A tapered stand off needs to be turned and soldered in place mated to the curve prior to building the distributor locator.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-036-jpg

On a side note, while in California I received the text "Galley" for the book and faxed back the few minor corrections. I am told to now relax a bit while the book is now in "Design and Layout" in which the text and pictures are brought together along with the other book parts. I will then receive the "Layout Galley" to proof to make sure the images and text are where they are suppose to be relative to each other.

Sounds like all is still on track for a spring release.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here is the tapered engine mount bolt boss which was first turned and drilled with #61 drill bit on the lathe. The end was then filed and shaped to fit the contour of the mating curve on the block. The T-pin end was then painted with yellow ochre to prevent being soldered in place while being used to locate the boss during soldering. The block was clamped in a vise allowing the use of both hands to solder and hold the pin.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-037a-jpg

Here is the cleaned up boss solder joint. Once in place it's height was filed to match the lower two bosses and then drilled with a #55 drill bit and 0-80 Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster threads cut. The lower edge flange was then filed smooth to the block before adding the bolt bosses along the bottom of the block.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-038-jpg

The T-pin was then used to locate and solder each shoulder boss in place using 00-90 Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster washers at the pre-drilled locating holes.

Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-039-jpg

Here is an overall showing the bolts in place with a little cleaning off of excess solder. This kind of detailing is a slow going process but well worth the effort. Many of these may not even be visible in the finished model, but I am toying with the idea of using this as a master for resin Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster casting Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster perhaps.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh yeah!! I've always wondered how that was done. Thanks Ken. You've cleared up a long standing mystery.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Now adding the freeze plug bosses. Here is an overall left rear view with bosses soldered in place.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-046-jpg
    The first step was to bore a rod with a 3/16" drill bit and then turn the O.D. of the rod down to 9/32". Six rings were then cut off the rod at a 1/32" thickness. The last requires fitting to an angled surface on the block. Look close and you can see the pencil line to be used as a guide to saw off the excess brass off the end of the rod.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-040-jpg
    Here you can see the end that was sawed and filed to match the location on the block. All the filing and fitting was done while still attached to the rod.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-041-jpg
    Here the boss is dry fitted while still on the rod which provides a gripping surface to hold while filing. Patience here is needed to get a tight fit.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-042-jpg
    Here the bosses are test fitted prior to soldering in place.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-043-jpg
    Each boss was then "tinned" first, that means adding a slight amount of "Soft" solder (50/50) to the mating surface that goes against the block. If you look close you can see that the solder "puddles" completely around the surface. Soft 50/50 solder has a lower melting point so will flow without affecting other joints.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-044-jpg
    Each boss once tinned was located in position using drilled location for reference using ample flux and held down in place with the cutting edge of #11 Xacto blade which will not rob much heat from the iron. Then very carefully so as not to move the part a very hot Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster iron was placed on the top of the part next to the blade and held until solder flowed.
    Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster-xke-engine-045-jpg
    Here you can see the tight fit of the angled center boss soldered in place. If done correctly very little clean up of the joints is needed. Aluminum plugs will be press fit into each freeze plug on the finished block.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It's pretty much the same way I used to do it wth styrene Brass Build 1962 Jaguar XKE Roadster except I used liquid cement and the cleanup was more delicate. Now that I've actually seen it done, it definitely breaks down the mysterious barrier of brass scratchbuilding. Ken, in order to make this experience as real and educational as possible, would you be able to show some of the mistakes that were made that had to be redone to get things done correctly. It will tend to show that even the best of us may need to redo something once or maybe even more times to get it right. That way, our less experienced brass handlers (particularly myself) won't think some of these procedures are too easy and won't get frustrated and quit. It sort of brings this into perspective. Besides, I'm learning so much with your tutorials that it's like taking college courses in model building. Thanks, professor, in advance.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #46