Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-25-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Edmunds Offy Midget:
      http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...-midget-6.html

Thank You Madd Fabricator:
      http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...abricator.html

I am a kit builder not a scratch builder but after I saw these two threads I just had to contact the Madd Fabricator and see what he had for a sprint car body. I have the TDR Offy and once MF sent this picture I had to order one for the Offy.

I first became interested in Sprint Cars around 1949 (but lost interest soon because of the Korean War and College) and MF’s body is vintage sprint so I decided to try to build a car like a Pepper Tree mechanic might if he inherited an Offy engine in 1949. Sprint cars then were just beginning to grow into tube frames and disk brakes but there were still cars being built with T frames and either T or Deuce running gear. I have junk parts left over from T and Deuce kits so there shouldn’t be too much scratch building required.

The is a great thread in the H.A.M.B forum with about 800 posts covering sprint car history:

History VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1969 and older only please. - THE H.A.M.B.

MF’s body lends itself to either tube or rail frame design. I will choose to try to build a car with the T frame inside the body, although many in this era still had the frame on the outside. I hope others will become interested in this branch of 1/8 model building. Please feel free to chime in with either build suggestions, comments, ideas or personal experience dialog.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Nice job Syd. This is some what simular to a scrtach build and things don't always go right. Nice problem solving.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks Ken, it is almost all scratch building. Have to leave it for a short while though as I now have the remainder of the detail parts for the 427 TDR Vintage Sprint Car Roadster in the frosted material. Have to finish that up.

Space constrains me to one model at a time. Hate to leave it as I also have some basic frame members in work here crying for finish work.

Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Syd, the frame fits great, nice job! I understand the space issue.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Just finished fixing the pics at the start of the threat.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Thanks Dan - That is over and above service. What a site
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    The frame is starting to take shape. I was going to just mount the Offy with a torque plate but then I thought of all the hot Vintage Sprint Car stuff that could come back at me if something shook loose from the engine so I will instead make up a firewall torque plate assembly.

The Offy bell housing by the frame is something the Madd Fabricator made up so the Offy can be mounted in a Deuce or other car besides the Sprint. It is a perfect fit as we will see later.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Brizio's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Brizio
    Looks great!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Syd, that sprinter is really taking shape. Is this car from the 40s and early 50s? What kind of wheels will you have for it?
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Yep - that is the exact time frame which let me get away with using the Ford frame rails. And seeing as they were still hand built in the late 40s I have full latitude on details. No two were exactly alike. And as this driver had a sponsor he will have, besides the Offy, Halibrand wheels (resin) from the Madd Fabricator.
    Last edited by sydeem; 09-03-11 at 10:51 AM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Lot of test fitting required when working from the inside of a body. I am torn between using the Ford frame or moving up in time to the late 40's and switching to a tube ladder frame.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. modelerchuck's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem View Post
    Lot of test fitting required when working from the inside of a body. I am torn between using the Ford frame or moving up in time to the late 40's and switching to a tube ladder frame.
    Wow this is so impressive! I have not been on the form for awhile and happy I got the link from you on Fotki. This (should) get me back on track with my Salt flat car.
    Thanks for shareing
    Chuck
    I am so unworthy
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Still working on 1950s tube frame. Wish I was a draftsman instead of a cut and try builder.

Did modify the Deuce steering box to look more like what you would find in a race car. Cut up a perfectly good bell housing and tranny that the Madd fabricator made for Offy/Automobile use to look more like a race car bell housing and In/Out box.

Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Getting race ready, Sid. That's looking real. Ken
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    You are more than kind Ken. Maybe between us we can generate some interest in period racing when a Pepper Tree Vintage Sprint Car garage could field a race car w/o millions invested in prototypes, funded by super sponsors, supported by car companies, etc. It was a sport then, not a business. Maybe we can get TDR Vintage Sprint Car interested in doing a simple frame and body (by MF) to house their Offy.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Syd,

another wonderful built. Even for me, to be European and not so much involved into Sprint Races, it's another great building wonderful done job of yours.

Thank you for sharing it.

Cheers

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #31