Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-27-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

A few weeks ago I was on a thread about 1/4 scale sprint cars. The Madd Fabricator sent me plans, he had, of 2 different sprinters in 1/8 scale. I have spent the last three days building the frame from one of his plans and it was a breeze. I actually used up all my left over 3/16 and 1/8 inch aluminum, brass and styrene Thank You Madd Fabricator tubing building this and started cranking out an engine as well. He doesn't know me except from posting on this site, yet he went out of his way to make copies and mail me these plans. This is the kind of people that we are fortunate to have here at SMC and I really appreciate all that you guys do. Thanks again and the 80s style sprinter is going to one of my grandsons for his birthday in July and I promise to make it my best effort to date. The F1 T bucket is still moving along and I will post pictures soon.

Build Photos

Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0325-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0329-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0328-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    How did you get that cool 'speckled' look in the orange paint? It adds a lot of depth to the color.
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I wish I could do something that cool. It's not really speckled; it must be the light or camera or photographer as the car is one solid, shinny yellowish orange. It also now has a purple stripe.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0407-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0405-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    Ken, looking good my friend. Now what you need to finish off this build is a scale sized driver sitting high in the seat,with his elbows hanging out, just sawing away at the wheel, ( that's cranking on the steering wheel while riding the cushion), for those that may wonder what I'm talking about.
    CHEERZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken that car is turning out very nice have you completed the cockpit? If so I'd like to see some photos. To my way of thinking the non downtube cars just look more like race cars should but I understand their function. Anyway real nice effort!
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I haven't done much to the cockpit other than a firewall/torque plate and a belly pan. I'm not a fan of the way the down tube cars look, today, either. Looks like a bridge on wheels, but the frames don't flex and they are safer so what the heck. I tried to make louvers for the side panel. It didn't turn out as good as I hoped.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0410-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0411-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0415-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken I made some louvers for that Masserati I did- not the best result but the best I could come up with. I took an old straight blade screw driver, cut off the handle, and ground the tip to the desired shape of the louver. Put the shank in the drill press and get a block of hardwood which ends up being the die. Drive the bit into the hardwood to form the "die" . Punch the louvers in beer can aluminum which will then be cut in strips and glued to the substrate. These louvers will proud of the background. Blend them into the surrounding area with body work. Polish the bit tip as well as possible seems to work better.
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Thanks Joe for the tip. I used a brand new wood chisel on a 2x4 Doug Fir but I'll try your idea next. Here's a cockpit shot of what I've got done so far. I tried my hand at lettering. This is, again, for my grandson who turns 7 in July. His little sister is Ginger who now is the famous motor builder. His name is Max and oddly enough he loves race cars. I was actually able to get some clear plastic on the guages to make them seem more real.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0443-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0440-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0442-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0447-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken I know hand lettering isn't easy but once you get past the fact that it isn't going to look like a decal Thank You Madd Fabricator there is some satisfaction. Your gauge faces look good in the photo I'll bet trimming the acetate was tedious- I flow a little 5 min epoxy Thank You Madd Fabricator on mine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    The gauges are my best to date, thanks. I cut out pictures from a auto parts magazine to get the face and made the frame with silver solder and the middle one is aluminum tube cut thin. The lettering looked "kinda good" when I was doing it, but I can't stand it today, so I'll repaint the body when I'm closer to getting the car finished. Off to the Indy 500 tomorrow, I can't wait. This is the second time I've got to go. That place brings a tear to my eye, such history.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I'm back from Indy so let's see if I can finish this sprinter up. Kind of hard to get going on it after seeing that perfect 1/12 scale car from Randy but I'm always looking to do better. By the way Indy was amazing, as always. What an ending, huh?
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    the end of the 500 was sure a surprise so much for the criticism of racing being ho-hum.
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Joe it was a bad day to be driving a National Guard sponsored car. That poor kid stuffs it in the fence on the last corner of the Indy 500, while leading; then in the Coke 600 Dale Jr. runs out of fuel about a 100 yards from the finish, while leading. Joe, if you've ever been you know what I'm talking about when I say that the start of Indy is an incredible experience. 33 race cars coming at you doing 220 mph is spine tingling to say the least.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Back in Black! It needs a few things still, like a brake pedal, left side nerf and a front bumper. 100% scratch built Thank You Madd Fabricator except for the tires. Anyone got a push truck?
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0506-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101e0511-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0482-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0486-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0478-jpg 
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 06-05-11 at 08:14 AM.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. joep's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    joe
    Ken what did you use for wheels and tires? I've never seen the 500, but did see the Brickyard 400 in 2007. Stewart won and that was great as I'm a fan mainly due to his dirt track background. Back to the w/t's they look very appropirate.
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I bought the rear tires online and the fronts at the local hobby store. They're RC stuff. The down side is the tread pattern isn't exactly correct. I got to learn a way to groove model car tires. Learn how to make blanks and then groove them. The wheels I made with aluminum and a resin Thank You Madd Fabricator center-less rim. The bolts are really brads heads. Lots of drilling. Needs knock offs at the rear. I'm a huge Smoke fan myself, he's a real racer. Models himself after AJ Foyt.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #46