Close

Thank You Madd Fabricator
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Thank You Madd Fabricator Thank You Madd Fabricator Thank You Madd Fabricator Thank You Madd Fabricator Thank You Madd Fabricator
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-27-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

A few weeks ago I was on a thread about 1/4 scale sprint cars. The Madd Fabricator sent me plans, he had, of 2 different sprinters in 1/8 scale. I have spent the last three days building the frame from one of his plans and it was a breeze. I actually used up all my left over 3/16 and 1/8 inch aluminum, brass and styrene Thank You Madd Fabricator tubing building this and started cranking out an engine as well. He doesn't know me except from posting on this site, yet he went out of his way to make copies and mail me these plans. This is the kind of people that we are fortunate to have here at SMC and I really appreciate all that you guys do. Thanks again and the 80s style sprinter is going to one of my grandsons for his birthday in July and I promise to make it my best effort to date. The F1 T bucket is still moving along and I will post pictures soon.

Build Photos

Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0325-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0329-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0328-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Well it looks like there's no rest for weary M.F. but you asked so I guess I can put my 2 bits worth in......
    There's definitely enough interest in a "proper" 1/8th Sprint but a large scale Midget with all the bells and whistles including the trailer would no doubt tighten my sphincter.

I'd prefer 1/6th for the Midget but then it couldn't be trailered behind all the 1/8th cars out there.
    How 'bout a 1/8th Watson or Kurtis with trailer "AND" a stand alone 1/6th midget?

Don't forget the the grass is growing and the flower beds will need tending as well........LOL.
    You'll have to excuse me but the old woman is mumbling something about wanting to go to the mountains for a couple of weeks....she doesn't seem to understand that I moved to Florida to get away from belly button deep snow.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    First of all ol' Syd chimes in with a pic of an Arkansas OFFY ( a V8-60 all decked out with the speed goodies of that era). By the way Syd, I've got one of those on display down in my man cave, except it will be running Eddie Meyer heads. And then he proceeds to tell us he worked in Walt's pit and also worked with some very well known speed merchants. Syd, you've been holding back on us. Man, we want to hear more from a guy who has definitely been their, done that, got the "t" shirt,and probably rolled a pack of Lucky's up in a shirt sleeve or two. Syd, ya got any photos from that time in your life you'd like to share ???
    And then Don chimes in with all sorts of ideas to keep the MADD FABRICATOR busy in the workshop doing sprint car and midget stuff. Yeah, we can probably make all this happen if I can get a little help with prototyping some of what's needed.
    Like I said in an earlier reply, let me dig around in the far corners of the workshop and blow some dust of off whatever related bits and pieces I find, and then we can maybe put a game plan together to make it happen. We may have to poney up a few dollars to TDR Thank You Madd Fabricator to R-P some of the more detailed goodies.
    I'll get back with you guys later and let you know what I already have in the works.
    In the mean time, start planning your paint schemes!!!!!!!! As for me it's back to the man cave and do some searching through the parts stash.
    CHEERZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
    Last edited by MADD FABRICATOR; 04-30-11 at 06:57 PM.
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I think I over spoke. Pit crews at a midget event in those days didn't do much else than push the cars on line. Everyone wore white shirts and pants so we all looked smart on TV. I did get to warm up a car occasionally but thats all. I was an indestructible 18 then. That was a neat couple of years but then I moved on.

Walt was a super easy going guy though. Really bad luck his end in 56.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    Syd, pit crew is pit crew, it doesn't matter what function you served, you were part of the team. It must have been a thrill for an 18 year old kid to get the chance to jump behind the wheel and mash the throttle a few times. It's got to be a feeling you'll carry with you forever. At least you had experienced something in life, very few of the kids your age and at that time in history ever had a chance to do.
    Yup, many a good driver had a " BAD" day at the track, with many of them being very young in todays terms.
    Thanks for the reply and letting us know at least you were able to something in life that many of us could only dream of having the opportunity to do so.
    CHEERZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Working away at the sprinter suspension. Everything is scratch built Thank You Madd Fabricator except for the spark plugs and hiems ends. Check out the rear end and Jacobs ladder. It's an 86" wheelbase car with a 3 1/2" offset Syd that's cool that you pitted for such a well known driver. When I raced in the 70s everyone still wore white pants and T shirts for safety at night. As you know it gets crazy in the pits before and after each race. They don't have a rule like that anymore though.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0339-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0335-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0340-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0338-jpg 
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 05-04-11 at 07:13 PM. Reason: more information
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Syd/Madd
    Back in the day, I used to race go karts. In fact, at one time I was a Northwest Division International Kart Federation Director.

I got to be a pretty good racer and one of the factory teams offered me a test in a shifter kart. If any of you have ever driven one of these things, you'll know what a thrill it is to drive a go-kart with a five speed trans at speeds in excess of 100mph.

Like Syd and Ken, I can appreciate the thrill of being behind the wheel of a race car, or in my case, a "kart".
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Rick, I'm impressed. Karts are where it's at. Indy and F-1 guys practice with shifters as you know. I've heard said that they respond just like an F-1 car. Although I've never driven a shifter, I raced karts in IKF for a few years after I quit racing cars. I was impressed with how much fun that is. The seat time you get per the dollar you spend for it made me think I should have started in these things long ago. One thing for sure is you have got to be in shape as they are very physical. Did you ever race them on dirt. Going 60 mph, one inch off the ground, on dirt is a blast. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 05-05-11 at 10:07 AM.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I raced on pavement at oval and road course tracks in British Columbia and Washington State but never on dirt. In regards to the physical demands, you are right. Because of my size, (I'm 6'2") I even tried the "lay down" karts, but I still ended the day with a very tired and sore body. But, the smell of Av Gas and a 100 cc Yamaha singing at 10 grand made it all worthwhile.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Maybe a Kart would be a fun scratch build Thank You Madd Fabricator thing, but in a bigger scale. Those lay down things are wild. They used to race those on a 1/2 mile oval during intermission where I lived. I'm a guy who likes a cage on something that goes over 100 mph on a 1/2 mile track. I'm 6' 2'' also and the first car I had, my helmet stuck above the roll cage about 3" but I tried not to think about it and never did get upside down in that one. All the racing I've ever done is physically demanding but man when the motor fires and you smell the fuel and then the green flag drops, no pain what so ever.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    I miss the smell of castor bean oil.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I'm doing some body building, this weekend. Here's the bucks being built and I'm ready for fiberglass. Rick, I read about a kart race in Sept. that pays $50,000 to win; biggest purse ever and it's on dirt for 4 cycle senior, heavy. That's crazy, huh?
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0381-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0372-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0376-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0380-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    LOOKING GOOD !!!!!!! Looks like those plans came in pretty handy for this build. That Smith chassis is really a nice looking chassis.
    CHEERZZZZ!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Thank you and the plans where a huge help. This chassis is a perfect example of sprint car frames 30 years ago, just before the down tube cars. This one is going to my grandson who turns 7 in July so I want to make it special. I want both of my grandsons to appreciate this sport.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I'm almost complete with the body and motor on this Madd Fabricator Sprint. This week nerf bars, bumpers, radiator, all that stuff. I think after this car, I'm pulling off the model builder rookie stripe . If anyone hasn't scratch built Thank You Madd Fabricator a car and would like to someday; this is the car to start with, as it's simple. Just pure car and motor. Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0393-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0395-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0397-jpg 
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    Front wheels are scratch built Thank You Madd Fabricator ( still working on them) out of aluminum sheet and the rears are modified RC rims shrunk down from 2.2 inches to a scale 16". Painting is not my strong talent, fact is none, but I'm going to put some purple stripes on this puppy today and see how she looks.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0400-jpg  Thank You Madd Fabricator-101_0403-jpg 
    Last edited by kmeaders@q.com; 05-19-11 at 12:13 PM.
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #31