Close

Builder Last Online: Apr 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-08-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

hi everybody
      looooong time ago, about 15 years, i stopped with modelling! but last week, i just walked into a toystore and found a 1/12 tamiya "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12 lola! wow! 1min and 200.-$ later i was the proud owner.. ;-)
      so, this here is gonna be my building log... please write your comments, i like critic, it helps to learn.
      best regards
      marcos

nice kit! the table is too small i guess...

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...1&d=1302252803

engine parts before filling, sanding and painting

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...1&d=1302252803

Build Photos

"1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-img_0746-jpg  "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-img_0747-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    That's an awsome car, there, Marcos. It should be a blast to build. Good luck!
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. fullspeed's Avatar Member
    Name
    marcos
    i started with the kit, but i dont remember that tamiya "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12 kits have such big gaps, specially on the engine... :-( but that should not be a problem.
    so, today i began to assemble bigger parts, like body, chassis- and engineparts.
    this weekend i will fill and sand "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12 them, and in a few days i buy new colors and paint them as real as possible.
    there are a few pics attached, it already looks like a racecar..
    Attached Images Attached Images "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-img_0751-jpg  "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-img_0752-jpg  "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-img_0753-jpg  "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-img_0754-jpg 
    if everything seems under control you are not driving fast enough
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. fullspeed's Avatar Member
    Name
    marcos
    i spent a lot of time google-ing pictures of a bare lola chassis, enginebay etc... but i didnt found anything usefull... does anyone have some pictures? or knows a interesting website?
    best regards
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. AirB's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Rudy
    It's a nice kit, a little dated i believe it's from the late sixties, but still usefull with some work.
    But the main problem is that the car never raced in that colors, the dark blue car from
    Surtees Racing use to have an Aston Martin engine and not the Chevy in the kit.
    The one with the Chevy engine use to be red with the same white striping.
    I have the same problems with finding pictures of this type Lola (enough of the Mark III b)
    For so far i know there are three books, Lola racers by Brooklands, The Lola T70 the racing and individual chassis record by Veloce and The Lola T70 V8 coupe's a technical appraisal,this is out of print but sometimes on Ebay.
    But no usefull pictures in these books (plenty of action photos)
    I hope this comment was a little helpfull for you.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
    i spent a lot of time google-ing pictures of a bare lola chassis, enginebay etc... but i didnt found anything usefull... does anyone have some pictures? or knows a interesting website?
    best regards
    It's being useful for me..............

Cheers!

Mario
    Attached Images Attached Images "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-lolat70mkiiiastonmartinc-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. AirB's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Rudy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Lucchini View Post
    It's being useful for me..............

Cheers!

Mario
    That's the car with the 5 litre Aston Martin engine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. fullspeed's Avatar Member
    Name
    marcos
    yep!thanks for the reply!i think the tamiya "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12 kit doesnt show a real car, wrong color and engine combination.. so, i need to paint my kit red to match the original one..
    cheers
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    best regards

Markus -

I spent last Sunday afternoon with a T70 MkIII and my camera and came away with about 250 detail shots. I'll be posting them to my web site this weekend and you are welcome to use them for your build.

Andy.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. sky's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    rom
    if you were to scrap the chevy engine and actually build the engine used in the "real" tamiya "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12 car, you would find that you are going to have a real hard time finding references. finding any good reference shots of a car that is original and not a replica or continuation model has really stretched my patience. after all i have bought this kit myself a few months ago with the intention of building the aston martin dp218 engine they ran at le mans 1967 for the model. and with the help of a few friends i managed to get some reference images of that engine, but as they are period pictures you can't really make out any details, plus some of the cross section images i have only show half the engine. and since then the box is sitting next to my desk mocking me whenever i look at it.
    in my book the t70 mk3b coupe is one of the most beautiful racecars ever (up there with the 330 p4, the 917 and the 250 gt swb competizione) but a lack of references sort of stalled it for me for the time being. as said, i have spent ages on the web finding chassis images and by now have a decent amount of them, but finding which are original or not is not an easy task, sometimes downright impossible. so i'll be curious to see the pics andy took. what chassis # is the car you took the pictures of?

anyway, i'll be very interested in following yours and andy's build threads. my idea of the build goes somewhere along the things andy has outlined in his post, rebuilding the tub from aluminum held together with handmade rivets (purple! as on the real car), rebuiling the frame from metal... basically, recreating things using original materials wherever possible. this is going to be one hell of a task. besides i think my model is of a more recent production rerun - gaps seem ok-ish, however my kit is not the latest one as it is missing the PE parts now sold with these kits (proabably why it sold for cheap ;)).
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Cien1986's Avatar Member
    Name
    Henry
    RED lola mk 3 closeup video,
    LOLA T70 Mk3 SL73/116 - Chevrolet V8 - YouTube dont know it will help the detailing works or not...
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Ctype's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Bill
    best regards
    A great car Fullspeed, nice find. You didn't say where you looked, but I find a lot of photos here.
    1969 - 1970 Lola T70 Mk3B Coupe Chevrolet - Images, Specifications and Information

You may have to join and say "Hi" to see some photos. You can also try Tam's Old Race Car Site Great site, but a crap shoot if you need something specific.

Look forward to seeing your build.

Bill
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    The pictures referenced above are of the T70 Mk 3B - which is a whole lot diifferent to the Mk 3. The tub is different, the bodywork, it's almost a complete new car. To check you have the right version - two easy recognition features - the Mk 3 has gullwing doors (hinged in the centre of the roof) and single, not double, headlights.
    There are lots of Mk 3 chevy engined cars that you can use as a prototype. Check out the decals available online. Probably the best known are the Brian Redman version (in red!), and the Sid Taylor run Denny Hulme car - white with green stripes.

Tamiya "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12 got the prototype mixed up - the car they made the decals for had the Aston Martin engine, and was dark green, not dark blue. So, totally wrong....
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. bart's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Bart
    Any progress yet ??. I bought the same kit a couple of days ago so I am obviously very interested.......................
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. bestbalsakits's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    wim
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo NZ View Post
    The pictures referenced above are of the T70 Mk 3B - which is a whole lot diifferent to the Mk 3. The tub is different, the bodywork, it's almost a complete new car. To check you have the right version - two easy recognition features - the Mk 3 has gullwing doors (hinged in the centre of the roof) and single, not double, headlights.
    There are lots of Mk 3 chevy engined cars that you can use as a prototype. Check out the decals available online. Probably the best known are the Brian Redman version (in red!), and the Sid Taylor run Denny Hulme car - white with green stripes.

Tamiya got the prototype mixed up - the car they made the decals for had the Aston Martin engine, and was dark green, not dark blue. So, totally wrong....
    Yes, tamiya was wrong... but now all you need to correct is available...

I have a 1/12 transkit to make sunoco lola (body parts, decals, fuel injection setup, tires, photo etch detail, vac formed light screens, white metal parts, alu parts ets etc.
    See: here

I also have a 1/12 'body' transkit to convert tamiya's lola into the aston martin powered nr11 car that raced Le Mans 1967. Includes resin parts, decals, photo etch etc etc. See: here

And... i have almost ready the 1/12 aston martin engine to fit tamiya's kit... Release near end of summer i guess. See: here

Some pics
    Finished sunoco car
    "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-full1-jpg"1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-engine3-jpg"1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-engine4-jpg"1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-full2-jpg"1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-full3-jpg

sunoco transkit

lola aston body transkit

aston 3D drawings

aston engine in tamiya "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12 lola

inner detail shows camshafts, drive chains...

For the brave, decals are available seperately ;-))

Wim
    Attached Images Attached Images "1967-1968 Lola T70 Mk3" Tamiya 1/12-1-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #15