Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 08-20-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I started this model a long time ago, but got sidetracked when the Big Deuce and Big T were reissued. I built my highboy deuce and [B][I]two[/I][/B] Big T hot 1/8 Jag finally coming out of mothballs! rods...then the Pocher bug bit and I just [B][I]had[/I][/B] to build my Alfa.

Well, the Alfa is 99% finished, so I dug the old Jag out of storage. It's the 1976 release of the model, molded in bright yellow (the original issue was molded in red). It wil now become my "active" project...(at least until something else comes along and sidetracks me again!)

I'm doing a replica of a very early car...one of the first several hundred built, with the external bonnet latches and the road draft tube (which was removed early in the production run). I have several loose wires and hoses to connect yet, as you can see, but the engine is just about finished.

1/8 Jag finally coming out of mothballs!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    99.97 from the Pebble Beach crowd, resurrected from a basket case, and a driver.........I'm going to go sulk for a day or two. Like the man said...it ain't braggin' if you can back it up!
    WOW!!!!!!!
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #92

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Mid-Ohio Vintage Car Weekend 2000---Best Jaguar on Saturday, Best of Show (all classes) on Sunday. This was my first car show after being transferred back to Ohio. It rained off and on all weekend and the photographer wanted to get the Mid-Ohio tower in the background and this was the only open spot and I was standing in an inch of water. ;';;';

QUOTE QUOTE #93

3. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Beautiful Jag! My uncle used to have one of these years ago and I got some rides in it I was a kid, he was in the process of restoring it when he died from cancer. I love the overall shot, would it be possible to get a shot like that in the same location with the hood closed please?
    QUOTE QUOTE #94

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    DDDDDRRRRROOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL
    Now that you got me started, my clothes won't get dry for several days. I wish I had one of those.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #95

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    This picture was taken by the official Mid-Ohio Track photographer and he emailed me this picture back in 2000. I have been back for some of the vintage races, but not for the show again. Usually once I win a show I do not enter again so others can have fun too and spread it around a bit. When I do go back to a show I will have for display only.

Now if you want pictures on the hood(top) up I will take some the next time out. Let me know what views you would like. ;';;';

Right front bonnet up.

Left front bonnet up.

Also this car has never been waxed. I use a 3M product called Imperial Hand Glaze. Easy on and off for us old farts. Never have tried it on a model though.

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 08-07-08 at 11:35 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #96

6. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Anybody that views this thread and doesn't hit eBay for a Jaguar model is cold blooded. Between Ken's pictures of his real car and Harry's detailed lessons on model building, I am hooked.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #97

7. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I got a question for you guys that's been buggin' me for years... Maybe you can help me out with this one. Were those cars actualy able to keep up with a fuel injected Sting Ray from the grand old days??? A'/ This inquiring mind wants to know.
    Last edited by Deuces-wild; 08-07-08 at 02:18 PM.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #98

8. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    I cannot speak for them all for several versions(packages) were available of engines, and rear ends. However, I was fortunate(Lucky) that mine came originally with a 3.8 (now 4.2+) Liter, 9:1 compression (now 10.5:1) and a 3:56 rear end. I still have the original non synco Moss gearbox; so it is like driving a tractor. Many poo-poo Jaguars and Lucas, but in restoring I tried to keep everything original component wise. This car even has the original wiring harness; the only electrical component that changed was the coil, it has a 1963 date on it. They got it right at least once.

As for driving, not much from a standing start versus the Vette; however once rolling it gets frisky. After the initial break in of 500 miles I did give it a bit of a go and even surprised myself when I shifted into 4th gear at 120mph and still chirpped the tires. I backed off at 140 mph because of the recommendation from Dayton Wire Wheels and Coker Tire was to not exceed 135 mph for more than 5 minutes. Dayton's reason was the wires used in restoration are stainless steel and not as strong as original chrome ones, Coker Tire has no specs and will not give any on reproduction tires from original Michlin molds.

Let me just say that it had not even started to breath hard yet at 140 and I am sure it could easily do the 165 top end that I have been told that it is now capable of doing. I would need to get a set of Minilite wheels and performance tires to do it. You can really feel the aerodynamics take over at 100+ and it handles great, but forget using the windsheild wipers they were lifting off the windsheild at 140.

To futher increase the horse power I would have to get rid of the stock headers and go with the performance set of headers and lose the stock look. Not good for concours car.

The mileage is not too bad (no Pollution control devices) 17 around town and 23 on the highway at 80 mph.

I did once have the pleasure of driving with a friend of mine who had a '64 rat Jag. not much on looks; but the running gear was unbeleivable(full race setup) and were coming back one evening from a club meeting when a couple of kids probably out with dad's Corvette pulled up beside us on the interstae and gave us the wave. Well my friend just could not resist having a little fun. He jumped to a 100 so did the kids, next to 120 they followed; then to 140 they were a little slower to join up; he then waved them on the kids put their hands up and he punched at 140 and just walked away from them. I bet they still talk about that to this day. By the way he was a professional racedriver.

This was 1970, the same year that an old E-type Jag won Road Atlanta, the only private team to ever do it. Fred Baker was the driver and now owns a dealership on the East side of Cleveland, Ohio.

PS. If you Google XK Unlimited and look at the engine rebuilds they get some hefty HP; but it only takes money.
    Last edited by xken; 08-07-08 at 04:09 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #99

9. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    I could never fathom out why the E Type was designated XKE for the American market. Could someone enlighten me?
    QUOTE QUOTE #100