Close

The Trail Bird
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

The Trail Bird The Trail Bird The Trail Bird The Trail Bird The Trail Bird
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Trail Bird

Builder Last Online: Apr 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-09-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Looks like I didn't get rid of that Firebird Fever after all...

I know the proportions are a bit off, it was necessary to fit the RC chassis. This time I will indulge my need to build something really ratty. It won't be a nice car at all

The Trail Bird
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Yesterday's progress:

Gauge faces

Installed in the dash. I painted the back of the fuel and volt gauge glass with solvent to simulate the fogging that happens when they're exposed to heat for a long time, like sitting in a field for 10 years.

An all-too-common feature of hillbilly T/A's. And they always do it to a nice straight hood, too.

The Trail Bird
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. And this is the price paid for hacking 3-1/2 inches out of the wheelbase: cramped interior.

I meant to photograph these guys before they went in, but, well... you know how it is.

Torn upholstery with foam peeking thru

One speaker down, one to go

This thing is such a POS that you start it with a spoon

Windshield is in, with copious amounts of silicone.

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Details, details....

No, I'm not playing Asteroids...

... that's the hood ornament.

Hard plastic grilles + rubber nose + lots of yee-haw action = carnage.

This lettering kicked my butt. I know I got the M wrong but I ain't gonna change it.

Overall progress.

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Your builds leave me with a large smile daily. I love your madcap fun builds.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. This one makes me smile too. Had to take it outside for some pics since we've got sunshine today:

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Enough of that, back to building :D

Tail lights are in, even if they don't match.

Front plate on the dash so you don't have to go lookin' for it in that cornfield we just run thru.

Speaker grilles

I wasn't too thrilled with the way that Rallye wheel turned out, so I modified an old Fly Wheels toy. Opened up the gap between the rim and the spider (since the 1:1 The Trail Bird wagon wheels have a gap you can slip a credit card into) and added a section to the outer rim.

80's-upped the other rear wheel with a gold center

Nasty old side pipes

Couldn't get a nice tight bend on this 1/2 inch brass even after annealing, so I soldered on an angled stub and did some grinding.

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Side pipes installed with styrene The Trail Bird collectors, also installed some panels to close up the fenders and reinforce the body a little. They're flat black now but will get some honest mud and dirt.

Styrene The Trail Bird air filter; the pleated element is .005

Rear panels/armrests. I love the fact that there are ashtrays in the back seat. Anyone small enough to fit in the back shouldn't be smoking

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Backseat area is finished. I realized that these guys probably can't afford decent beer so I changed the case to Natty Ice

Gas cap... or a wick.

Sidemarkers and front inner fenders

We don't need no iPod

Close-up of the cassette. There are 5 pieces in the clear ones, the spools are 3/32 tube. The white cassette has a clear window.

A little more trash on the dash and I can call this one done. Then it's trailer time

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey, that looks just like a car in one of the neighborhoods around where I live. Cool work.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Dude... this car is a mess!

Yeah, and the wipers don't park and the paint is flaking off the molding. Just an old T/A.

Second try at a Rallye wheel. I like this one better.

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Look its every pizza delivery guy in the country. No joke I think its required to own a Firebird or Trans-Am just to get the job.

Honest to God my pizza guy drives a gold Firebird....
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Well yeah, you want hot The Trail Bird pizza, don't ya?

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Outdoor pics!

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Coooooooooooool !!!!!!!!..
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. I tried three times to call it done yesterday, and it eluded me every time.

The first time, it said tweak this wheel, the base of the spokes needs a shave. Maybe you can see the difference, maybe you can't.Obviously the spokes are still way too wide; their dimension is dictated by the center tube, which has to be big enough to accept a wheel wrench. The center cap is on a long tube that slides over the wheel nut, and (hopefully) it'll slide back out to get the wheel off.

Done, right? Errr, not so fast. Still needs the sail-panel birds:

Frankly these don't look all that great up close. But considering each one is 3/8 inch, they came out okay for an old blind guy with shakey hands.

Done, right?

So now it needed the rear window molding. I don't know what GM painted these with; the 1:1 The Trail Bird molding is bright-anodized aluminum painted flat black, and the flat black started flaking off almost immediately. So after 30 years there isn't much flat black left. I kept doing the yes-no dance on this one. So many of the 1:1 The Trail Bird 's have the rear molding missing, but it does clean up the joint between the window and the body. There's also (naturally) enough rust to justify the large amount of silicone I used to hold the window in.

Done, right?

The Trail Bird
    QUOTE QUOTE #31