Close

Lola T-70 Mk III
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Lola T-70 Mk III Lola T-70 Mk III Lola T-70 Mk III Lola T-70 Mk III Lola T-70 Mk III
Accepted Payment Types

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty ¼ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The rear of the block didn't look bad when it had a bellhousing molded to it, (and was going to be hidden by a firewall), but it turns out it is not at all symmetrical. Since the rear of this engine will be very exposed when in the car I had to rework it. I added 0.020 sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III and reworked it.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #92

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Maybe the bellhousing is not symmetrical as it happens from time to time.
    QUOTE QUOTE #93

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    You're correct that the bellhousing is not symmetrical. But the bosses and bolt pattern on the block were quite a bit off and should be symmetrical. At least compared to the ones I have...

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #94

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I drew the valve covers (copied from my real car) in SolidWorks. I'll have Fraxional "grow" them.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #95

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I also made the bellhousing in SolidWorks since the kit item wasn't a fit or match for the new engine. Again Fraxional is my go-to 3D printer. This is will be a stand-in for mocking up the engine mounts and rear suspension and might get modified later.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #96

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The bolt-on rear spoiler is made of brass. I hand cut two identical pieces from 0.010 sheet. Then drilled 19 holes in each and scored one side of both for the upper "tabs".

The upper "tabs" were bent using an angle template for continuity.

Then I soldered them together. This is the rear side.

I acid cut a recess that will accept a clear spoiler element/window. This is the front side.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #97

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #98

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I started building the transaxle so it might be ready when I get the bellhousing from Fraxional, (the 3D printing service I've been using).
    First up was to cut off and drill out all the bolts, studs, drain plugs… and fill some sink marks.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 09-12-19 at 01:45 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #99

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I drew up a new Hewland transaxle rear cover because there was a sink mark where some of the lettering was.
    Since the kit part had HEWLANG molded in with that sink mark, it only made sense to fix both issues this way.

I planned ahead for the mounting of the part too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #100

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The resin Lola T-70 Mk III heads I cast have been reworked by removing all the molded on "bolts" and drilling out for the aluminum replacements I'll machine. The spark plug holes have been relocated to their proper locations too. The exhaust ports have been hogged out and the holes for the accessory mounting brackets added.
    (The white head is the stock Camaro one.)

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #101

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I used the Lola kit header tubes but had to make the ends that go into the head smaller diameter. Originally they were a constant diameter the same as the tubes. I made a tool from an old collet to uniformly cut those ends down to a 0.13 diameter.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #102

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    New header flange also designed in SolidWorks. Heavy duty 3/8 inch thick flange for the 1- 7/8 diameter big tube headers to come.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #103

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Interesting technique with collets?

Was it just a matter of reducing the plastic through friction?
    QUOTE QUOTE #104

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Yes, pretty much. I was pleasantly surprised at the cutting effect and how true I was able to get the cuts to be.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #105

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I started working over the Z/28 water pump I copied in resin Lola T-70 Mk III , but I realized it wasn't the best choice for this application let alone an accurate piece even for what it is supposed to represent. The shorter Corvette pump with the oversized bearing was more appropriate even though in the end it will hardly be visible, and it will buy me more space since the engine I'm using is longer than the kit provided one.
    The Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III water pump actually was closer looking to the short style even though it didn't measure out or and has some "interesting" details.
    Here's the Lola kit part.

Having a real pump at my feet made it a lot easier to modify the part into a more accurate rendition. It still needs the mounting hardware and heater hose fitting to be machined and the sand Lola T-70 Mk III cast texture to be added.

I also started reworking the harmonic balancer. I shaved it down to a proper 8" diameter and installed a brass sleeve. I also cut the timing mark into it.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #106