Close

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty ¼ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Amazing work. As a work in progress Lola T-70 Mk III I know there is probably more pieces to go in the back, but when you think of this thing barreling down the Mulsanne straight at near 200 mph, the hinge set up in back doesn't look beefy enough! I know it has happened before that if a car's rear clamshell/body wasn't buttoned down properly in the pits it could tear off at speed and in this case looks like it might take some of the important chassis supports for the rear with it especially with the hinge at the back. I've no doubt the kit emulates the real thing pretty well, but I am surprised to see that is how it was held on. The 917 was hinged at the cabin (I think) so it would have been less likely to be blown open. Enjoying this a lot.
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Here's a picture of the front mounting of the engine cover - brackets to take two pip pins!

Lola T-70 Mk III-silverstone040-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thank you for the photo Jo. It is helpful.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The gas struts for the doors.
    Upper hinges, acid cut brass.

The strut bodies are brass, the shafts are stainless steel.

The lower hinges are machined aluminum.

Closed. They compress well.

Open. They slide smoothly and provide just enough friction to keep the door open.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Wow! I started reading this thread when you first started posting it but then skipped quite a few weeks after that. I just read all four pages to get caught up and all I can say is WOW!

One question...what size are the magnets that you are using? It's hard to tell in relation to the part they are in. I'm guessing around 1/4" in diameter?

Awesome work!

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks Mike!
    Most of what I have been using are 1/8 x 1/16, but I have had to use some 3mm x 1mm in some of the smaller parts.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 08-21-19 at 10:24 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The last part of fitting the door skins to the openings was to add the gaps at the bottoms of the doors.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It’s always nice to see things in primer Lola T-70 Mk III

It is the first milestone I look forward to, after the initial build is underway

Your going to have a great model!
    QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks for the vote of confidence!

The little winglets are shown on the box art but are not included in the kit. Not a big deal for this project, but I wanted some on it nonetheless. I hand cut a pair from sheet brass and slotted the nose to accept them.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Then I cut and annealed a couple strips of brass, shaped them to the fender and curvature of the winglets and soldered them in place for the mounting flanges.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #86

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I started adding the rear spoiler fairings. Sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III instead of brass, but installed in slots like the front winglets.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #87

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I added the top edge of the rear spoiler(s) by sawing a notch into the existing peak to accept some strip styrene Lola T-70 Mk III and fairing it in.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #88

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Looks much better in primer Lola T-70 Mk III

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #89

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The kit engine is a SB Chevy, but it doesn't quite look right on its own and it builds up differently than a "normal" American kit. (Probably due to it being designed to house an electric motor.) Plus the heads were molded to the block halves and the rear of the block is a separate piece creating interesting seams.
    I borrowed the engine parts from the Monogram '69 Z/28 Camaro kit and made molds then cast resin Lola T-70 Mk III copies.

I cut off the oil filter, bellhousing & engine mounts from the oil pan, and the transmission & bellhousing from the block halves as well as the fuel pump from the front of the block. The timing tab was also removed from the timing cover and the bolts were cut off and holes drilled in their place.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #90

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I added some internal structures to the oil pan and block as well as a positive locator tab and then set three magnets into the pan and three into the block.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #91