Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty ¼ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I started making the shifter and the linkages to connect it to the shift shaft that ultimately feeds into the transmission. All brass, hand filed and soldered.
    At this point the shifter mechanism actually is functional, but will likely be "frozen" in first or neutral later.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 07-15-19 at 11:08 PM.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I cleaned up and assembled the other wheels Fraxional "grew" from my files. But I decided to try some other colors for the heck of it.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The tires were one of the parts I intended to use at the start. I was a little concerned however when they turned out to be Bridgestones instead of Firestones as shown on the box art.
    What became a larger concern was that they were a little wonky in shape (probably from long-term storage) and there were flaps of rubber material on some of the sidewalls.
    I put the rims in them to hopefully retrain their shape and that worked well over the course of a few weeks of resting.
    But when I started to sand Lola T-70 Mk III the tread to give a scuffed look and remove the mold lines Lola T-70 Mk III , light colored specks started to show through. They were embedded in the material. Removal would leave a divot or scar, so I applied some dye I use for resin Lola T-70 Mk III casting Lola T-70 Mk III and it hid the spots well.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The door windows needed to be fitted now that the exterior of the doors were getting close to being fixed. A good amount of reshaping the openings including the corners was done. Since I didn't do anything to the openings until this point I was a little surprised at both how off one side was and how close the other was.

I tried not to rework the clear parts, but some extending was required on the bottom edges of both main sections and shaping on other sides. There were also a couple hairline fractures in those parts that had to be repaired too.

After I got the windows to fit I seamed the edges with 1000 grit sandpaper then started smoothing the faces with 1200.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    All polished out…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I wanted to get the hinge mechanism made for the rear hatch since it's the last part of fitting up the body that needed to be done.
    I had to start by reworking the rear bulkhead.

The rear tray has half of the hinges molded to it. I cut them off and installed a stainless steel tube.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The two little plastic parts of the hinges that mount to the engine cover didn't look like they would stand up to too much action, at least at the joint where they would be cemented. Plus I could see they are supposed to be added after painting the exterior, further creating fit continuity issues. The gray pieces are the modified and beefed up kit parts; the rest is scratch-built from sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III . The plan is to make the hinge system stand-alone from the body shell.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 07-25-19 at 07:38 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Final new part with 1/16 inch steel rod laminated in to it for strength.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    A detail, that while it won't be seen will be appreciated by the fact that you can open and close the rear compartment without worry of it snapping and having to be fixed later on. You put so much into these things - very artful in the sense that you can look at it again and again and find some small detail you didn't see before such as in your Lotus project. I'm enjoying this not only because the Lola is one of my favorite 60's era prototypes but also because I'm getting schooled on building techniques!
    QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Yes, I am putting a lot of forethought into not only how the parts will work, but how they can be dry fitted prior to painting. It's always nice to hear someone is learning from what I'm sharing.

The outer hinges are made of brass and styrene Lola T-70 Mk III .

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    More magnets…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very clean work, it’s going to be a beautiful model.

I have been using magnets for a few years, and an unforeseen disadvantage is the attraction of “dust”

I live in a very smoggy area, and I work in a place with lots of floating particulates.

The rare earth magnets pull the stuff right out of the air!

You probably won’t experience my problems, and it is easily wiped away.

But in a few years? You might be surprised by what you find.
    QUOTE QUOTE #73

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thank you!

And thanks for the insight about the magnets attracting particulates. I learned quickly they attract small tools and other hardware but wasn't aware they could try to clean the air too.
    When I was shaping the steel door supports I had to figure a way to get all the shavings off the ones installed in the doors.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #74

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I started reworking the two rear supports that connect the tray to the rear bulkhead so I can continue working on the hinging of the engine cover. I removed the posts that supported the battery box (used to be a motorized kit) and drilled out the flanges for the spare tire guides. Since they also have suspension mounting points that will need to accept closed ended fittings I had to engineer them to facilitate those parts (that will be made later). The first machined aluminum pieces for this project…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #75

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Brass tubing was used to make the hinges for the engine cover. More magnets were also utilized.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #76