Close

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty ¼ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The magnetic approach worked so well I went back and re-engineered the side pods to be held in place with only three small screws on the bottom. All the hardware that held the pods to the tub has been replaced with magnets and the screw holes filled in. So before I can finish the doors I need to rework the fastening system for the parts they are mounted to.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    To eliminate the screws that fastened the cowl to a pair of brass brackets anchored to the tub, I removed the brackets and made new parts to hold three magnets on each side. Three more magnets were set in recessed holes in the tub and a brass tube was used to help align the set up. The brass tube may or may not stay… This is the right side just behind the front wheel well.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    That's such a great idea. I'll have to look for some of those for a future project. I used cut up refrigerator magnets/business cards on my Vette hood. They were glued to the some of the folded metal parts on the body made of sheet aluminum and a steel strip from a windshield wiper blade was glued to the hood, but these magnets you have have much better gripping power. I might even retro fit something like this on it since it needs some finishing work. Great build you've got going here. The Lola T 70 is one of my favorite endurance racers.
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks Larry!

It used to take me several minutes to assemble or disassemble even a couple of these parts with all the screws I used to get it trued up and properly aligned.

Now with the magnets it only takes a few seconds to completely tear down or assemble all this. And the doors operate. Now I think I'll redo the hood the same way

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I received the first set of wheels that Fraxional grew/printed from the SolidWorks files I made. These are 100% raw as delivered. Rear parts on the left and front parts on the right. They are still on the supports and are slated to be used for mock-up only, but I may finish them just to see how they'll look.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The front hood mounting bosses were cut down and holes were milled into them to accept magnets. 1/8th inch steel rods were cut as receivers since a second pair of magnets would create too much pull for that part of the hood. Plastic spacers center the rods in the brass tubes. Driver's side is installed.

Magnets were also installed in the rear-view mirror supports at the cowl edge.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #52

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I spent about a half hour removing the supports (like sprues on injection molded parts) and cleaning up the support points on these two rear wheel pieces. There are no mold lines Lola T-70 Mk III to deal with on 3D printed parts, but there can be a texture on some areas. These did not need any attention in regards to smoothing texture out. The material Fraxional used on these is more like resin Lola T-70 Mk III than styrene Lola T-70 Mk III in the way it sands and creates a very fine powder. There is a mild odor, but it's not objectionable.

A little paint for the heck of it… I played around with some weathering Lola T-70 Mk III /chipping techniques to make it look used. I see by the fit of the tire I can go wider with the rim.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #53

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I reworked the lower nose section that holds the driving lights and stone guard for the radiator. It fit OK, but not positively. I used a combination of sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III and removal of some material to make it fit.

The junction boxes for the lights house magnets in the hood section.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #54

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Now that the hood locates to the tub and center body section consistently, I reshaped the surfaces where the hood meets the cowl. I took off a good .030 - .040 of material on the upper surfaces and did a lot of blending. The white is the sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III filler. Not done, but good enough until I do the same to the doors and side pods and center section.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #55

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I started reworking one of the forward bulkheads/core support. I drilled out the duct openings molded into the part and added ducting and supports on the inside so it can be installed without the flexible cooling ducts. The elbows won't be seen when it's assembled, but I didn't want the intakes dumping into an open space. I also shimmed the edges for a better fit.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #56

11. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Beware of those flexible ducts. The plasticiser comes out over time and eats the styrene Lola T-70 Mk III . I do like your replacement ducts!
    QUOTE QUOTE #57

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Yes, they are like a lot of kits tires. In fact they were already having a meal of the clear parts when I opened the kit. Eating through the plastic bag without damaging the bag no less. Fortunately they were only dining on sprue Lola T-70 Mk III , not any parts.

And thanks!

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #58

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The A-Pillar sections of the doors are inherently weak, and I could see with all the heating and bending some fractures were appearing. They would have broken well before I could get to painting and if they broke it would affect all the fitting I had already done. I bent some .061 spring steel reinforcements that fixed the arc to closely match that of the A-Pillar along the windshield.

The left door.

The right door.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #59

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    A lot more sanding Lola T-70 Mk III and shaping was done to the doors and roof after the doors were set in their frames and hinges and reinforced with steel, (way more than the hood received). I added a few thousandths of an inch of material around the windshield and center of the roof and removed and added more elsewhere; as much as .030 was removed (at the bottom of the doors) in addition to what had been done previously.
    The door panel lines are getting trued up and both doors operate well.
    All the holes I drilled for threaded hardware have been filled too. Since the primer Lola T-70 Mk III has been sanded off much of the material used to reshape the doors and other parts is visible. Clearly more work to do… but a lot of progress so far too…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #60

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 07-14-19 at 12:33 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #61