Close

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty ¼ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I connected the throttle cable (more stainless…) to the bell crank and made the primary return spring. I made an eyelet for the spring to attach to the bell crank from stainless too.

Next I installed that subassembly to the manifold, along with the two right side main carb bodies, and added the linkage for the right bank. I also installed the ¼ inch synchronizing adjuster screws to the inboard side of the linkages and added a few other machined details to the carbs.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #497

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The left bank of carbs has been installed and the linkages made and hooked up. Connecting them to the bell crank wasn't too hard, but getting the tiny keepers on the carb ends of them was a challenge.
    I also added the fitting for the vacuum advance line.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #498

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I textured and finish painted the valve covers. These are also fully scratch-built items.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #499

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I textured and finish painted the valve covers. These are also fully scratch-built items.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #500

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    After almost 38 months of working on this project, the body is finally getting painted. This is the base coat Lola T-70 Mk III . It's a color I had custom mixed in DuPont ChromaSystem called Violent Blue. As many of you know, without the clear the color is very muted and appears darker.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #501

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The clear is Valspar AC2100 two-part urethane Lola T-70 Mk III . The hot Lola T-70 Mk III weather today worked well in having it kick off faster than normal. What a difference the clear makes in the color… Almost like it got turned up to eleven.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #502

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The clear is Valspar AC2100 two-part urethane Lola T-70 Mk III . The hot Lola T-70 Mk III weather today worked well in having it kick off faster than normal. What a difference the clear makes in the color… Almost like it got turned up to eleven.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #503

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Beautiful !!!!!

Wonderful start to summer! Should inspire the rest of us!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #504

9. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Wow! I love that color. I'm restricted to rattle cans as I have no air brush/spray system to work with and have been looking at a cobalt blue type color in that direction for a project of mine. Any idea what the Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III lacquer Lola T-70 Mk III approximation of this would be? Can't wait to see it all put together! I'm going to consult the color charts for Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III . Outstanding.
    QUOTE QUOTE #505

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks guys!
    Maybe Mica Blue with a top coat of Transparent Blue could get you in the arena. But it won't have the purple hues or near the intensity of this color.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #506

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    As much as I was leaning towards red for this, after seeing the full body in color I went with black vinyl and micro-fiber suede for the seat cushions.

I did the first cut of the paint up to 12000 grit on the front end. Now it needs to cure Lola T-70 Mk III again before I go for the second round. This hot Lola T-70 Mk III weather working in my favor at the moment.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #507

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Time to start assembling the engine permanently. The heads, oil pan and oil filter went on first. The oil pan received a little residual dirt weathering Lola T-70 Mk III on the bottom and a little grime was added to the gasket areas. The starter, bellhousing and fly wheel were next. The fuel pump block off plate was installed too.

The tub has been painted too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #508

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    This is one of the front shocks. Both ends get rubber eyelet bushings.

I put off making the stabilizer links when I was making the other suspension parts, but now I need to make them before proceeding on this section. Here are the kit provided parts next to my scratch-built ones. They are made of steel, brass, aluminum and resin Lola T-70 Mk III .

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #509

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    This is one of the front shocks. Both ends get rubber eyelet bushings.

I put off making the stabilizer links when I was making the other suspension parts, but now I need to make them before proceeding on this section. Here are the kit provided parts next to my scratch-built ones. They are made of steel, brass, aluminum and resin Lola T-70 Mk III .

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #510

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    There's a few weeks' worth of work… Still a few more hardware items to machine, but it is starting to take shape.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #511