Close

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty ¼ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the license plate light housing and added it to the holder.

Just loosely assembled…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #482

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the license plate light housing and added it to the holder.

Just loosely assembled…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #483

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    And the black is done... (I drilled the mounting holes through the plastic first.)
    The top one is the one piece 3D printed plate; below it is the new, more in scale, (37 piece) one. Maybe only a subtle difference, but worth the effort to me.

A thin coat of clear and it's done. I'll add tags closer to the end of the whole project.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #484

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made gaskets for the water pump and installed it for the last time.
    I made the belts from sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III cut into strips then beveled into the shape of a V-belt. I semi formed them before cementing them to the pulleys. (I painted the insides and edges black first.)

Careful trimming of the ends created a net fit that was filled with the cement. Then I hand painted them black. The seams are in this shot, but not visible from any angle.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #485

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The (brass) winglets have been painted and the fasteners added.
    Now they go in the slowly but continually growing collection of ready to install subassemblies.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #486

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The rear spoiler has been painted too. Two pieces of sheet brass soldered together.

Yes it has a clear Lexan section in the middle.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #487

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The kit wiper was reworked with a steel pin in the arm to allow the blade section to be pivoted and aligned with the windshield. A thin strip of styrene Lola T-70 Mk III was added to make the wiper blade; it was shaped to fit the windshield too.

I made small bolt heads for the pivot point and to mount to the stem too…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #488

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The carb linkages need to be made now.
    First I made the levers for the carbs. This pair does one bank and each is made of two pieces of brass. Soldering them was fun, but drilling the holes for the synchronizing screws was even more fun.

The bellcrank was machined next.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #489

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The bracket that is the hub of this setup was made from brass and machined resin Lola T-70 Mk III stock.
    Aluminum hardware was machined to accept the stainless steel sheath for the throttle cable and to mount it to the manifold.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #490

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I textured and painted the intake manifold. It's one of the few 3D parts I grew that were not cast in resin Lola T-70 Mk III for the model. I also installed the 12 bolts and washers I machined to mount it to the heads, and the 16 bolts for the carbs.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #491

11. kon_gee's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    Very nice! You create such incredible super clean details on impossibly small parts where anything just a couple thousandths of an inch out of position would look like a crooked work of art hanging on a wall.
    Gary
    Last edited by kon_gee; 05-25-22 at 06:51 AM. Reason: SP
    QUOTE QUOTE #492

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I agree with you, Gary!
    QUOTE QUOTE #493

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thank you Gary and Roger!

I got a little ahead of myself when I was adding the manifold bolts and forgot to install the wire loom hold-down bracket. (It protects the loom and the linkage from rubbing or hanging up.) I made it from annealed brass. I pulled two bolts and installed it under them.

Now I'm back on track…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #494

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I've machined and installed the carb mounting nuts, washers and bolts to the top sides as well as a few other hardware parts. The linkages are set up on the carbs too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #495

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    After missing the wire loom hold down, I thought it was prudent to machine the fuel line hardware for the carbs before moving forward. A dozen fittings later… I still have more to do and more parts to machine for this subassembly.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #496