Close

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty シ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Originally I made the engine cover hinges out of brass and styrene Lola T-70 Mk III , but it turns out they weren't strong enough. I made a new pair out of brass reinforced resin Lola T-70 Mk III but I was concerned they would not be strong enough either. So I machined a third set from aluminum and pressed the brass tubes into them. They ride on stainless steel and brass tubes, hopefully that will be strong enough…

This created a weak link issue and I had to replace the plastic hinge eyelets in the engine cover with metal parts, so I machined new aluminum ones.

Brass tubes are used for the secondary hinge points.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #422

2. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Sometimes there is no substitute for the strength of metal when it comes to hinges and other moving parts.
    QUOTE QUOTE #423

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The kit's fuel cell access panels were chrome plated Lola T-70 Mk III with molded in bolts. One of them had a huge boss coming out the top to mount the fire extinguisher to. So I made these and machined 36 bolts.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #424

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The rear tray section is done for the time being. The insulation pads are cigarette foil/paper wrapped around thick paper.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #425

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I milled a battery from a block of raw stock resin Lola T-70 Mk III I high-pressure cast for low porosity.

I used the battery to size the battery box I built in the tub.

The terminal rings are brass.

A little more detail has been fleshed out on the battery box. A magnet will secure the battery.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #426

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The battery cable ends are made of brass.

The terminal bolts and washers are machined aluminum.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 03-06-22 at 11:04 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #427

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The lugs for the carrying strap on the sides of the battery were made from milled brass and thin sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III .

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #428

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I added the positive and negative symbols to the top and the two little caps.
    I drew custom decals and printed them for the labels.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #429

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The battery hold-down clamp/strap. Brass and aluminum.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #430

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I figured I'd make the terminal for the starter solenoid too… Just a little more brass.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #431

11. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    You're already well into this and probably have these images, but in case you don't, here's a link to a Lola Heritage site.

http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/2018/t...3/t70_mk3.html
    QUOTE QUOTE #432

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks Larry.

The fuse block box was milled from resin Lola T-70 Mk III and styrene Lola T-70 Mk III was used to make the latches and mounting bracket.

A little paint…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #433

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made decals for the fuse box and lightly distressed the top one as often the printed ink gets scuffed.
    I did a little dirt and dust wash around the crevices and the mounting hardware has been installed too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #434

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The cut-off switch was also milled from resin Lola T-70 Mk III as was the switch knob.
    Custom decals were made for it too.
    I also finished the starter cable that runs from the switch to the solenoid; the smaller wire feeds the fuse block.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #435

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the plug for the alternator and the hot Lola T-70 Mk III lead with a small eyelet and nut.
    The loom was made by wrapping .0085 wire around .039 diameter wire. The leads for the tach and battery for the distributor are also poking out.

I added the signal wire to the solenoid (with another tiny eyelet and brass nut).

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #436