Close

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty シ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMaster View Post
    The U.V. resin Lola T-70 Mk III I'm using captures detail well, but it is very hard and brittle.
    I make copies with a more user friendly urethane Lola T-70 Mk III resin Lola T-70 Mk III .
    One crack or chip from working the parts in this case would mean 8 hours of printing, post processing and curing Lola T-70 Mk III .
    And since I'm drilling into the parts to accept machined metal parts the likelihood of that happening is moderately high.
    Even though I grow extras, the casting Lola T-70 Mk III is worth the effort in the long run. Plus I can always make more for other projects.
    Interesting. I use Elegoo gray ABS like resin Lola T-70 Mk III , which is well, ABS like! I drill it all the time and it's pretty good, and no-more brittle than casting Lola T-70 Mk III resin Lola T-70 Mk III IMHO, might be worth a go if you haven't tried it?

Great job anyway, looking fantastic.

Regards,

Nick
    QUOTE QUOTE #407

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I made the brackets for the fuel pump and regulator out of brass.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #408

3. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by nickedw View Post
    Interesting. I use Elegoo gray ABS like resin Lola T-70 Mk III , which is well, ABS like! I drill it all the time and it's pretty good, and no-more brittle than casting Lola T-70 Mk III resin Lola T-70 Mk III IMHO, might be worth a go if you haven't tried it?

Great job anyway, looking fantastic.

Regards,

Nick
    I must admit I like the way it prints, but in the cleaning tank (isopropyl alcohol Lola T-70 Mk III ) the excess resin Lola T-70 Mk III coagulates into curtains which are really messy to clean out. For prototyping at the moment I'm using standard black, which is a bit less viscous.
    QUOTE QUOTE #409

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Looks like my resin Lola T-70 Mk III has aged out, so I used the 3D printed master. I still have the mold for these parts, in case I want to make some for other projects.
    I machined the fittings and mounting hardware for the regulator.
    The adjusting knob on the regulator is knurled. A small Holley decal Lola T-70 Mk III was made too, and then it was all lightly dirtied up.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #410

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I also machined the fittings and mounting hardware for the fuel pump.
    The pump is a mix of cast and grown parts; the motor is machined brass.
    The bolt on the clamp for the pump is threaded.
    I made the decals for it too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #411

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I machined the fuel filters. The primary is like what I run on my real cars and all aluminum. (It even has the three spot welds on one end.)
    The secondary is one of those glass types (that I don't use on my cars…), but I thought it would look cool on this one. I machined the glass tube from some slightly tinted acrylic Lola T-70 Mk III rod to give the look of it being filled with fuel. The ends and filter element are aluminum and it has gaskets between the glass and metal.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #412

7. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Once again, amazing details. Cannot wait to see the finished body too.
    QUOTE QUOTE #413

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks Larry! I too would like to see the finished body...

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #414