Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thank you for the tip. It's on my short To-Do list.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    There were gaps in both door sills and under both sides of the rear bulkhead where it meets the side pods. I guess I should consider myself lucky that the gaps were consistent side to side. Strips of sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III were used for filler.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Once again, remarkable work. I never would have guessed a Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit - aside from your conversion of the driving position would need all the adapting work to make things work and fit better. Their reputation for quality is very good. I know that sometimes there is a lot that has to be done with larger scale kits scuh as 1/8th and admittedly, I am way out of the loop on kits these days (I have a Porsche 962 1/25 scale Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit waiting for me to work on it). I'm sure it will turn out fabulous, after all, you are the Scalemaster!
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    To be fair, this is an old-tool model. It was designed in the '60s and released in 1970. It was also designed to be motorized and has several working features, all of which make it somewhat toy-like. It was made for a different hobby back then, and the industry standards were not as high as the are now.
    Compared to its contemporaries it is an amazing kit. Also it isn't fair to compare the fit of this kit to even Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kits from early '90s. Different perspectives and results.
    Much of what I'm doing at this stage is to allow most of the working features to be retained (something I don't usually care about) and to make it easier to manage painting and reassemble-able as I expect a lot of fitting and refitting of the replacement parts I intend to make.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The engine cover does not fit as well as the front clip by a long shot. At least the top of the leading edge lines up with the bulkhead fairly straight.

But the insides of the scoops are about 0.055 taller than the same spots on the bulkhead.

And the gaps where it meets the side pods are off in a different way on each side.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    To fix the discrepancies at the scoops the outside of the bulkhead was built up with sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III .
    I also trued up where the bulkhead meets the side pods.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    After dry-fitting the engine cover and massaging the fit, I averaged out most of the ill-fitting areas and then shimmed the bottom edges with a couple blocks of styrene Lola T-70 Mk III that were shaped to fill the gaps.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Now that the mating surfaces of the engine cover are getting close I noticed shapes at the bottom of the scoop openings in the engine cover are very different, and the one on the right does not match the contour of the bulkhead at all. At least the one on the left follows the bulkhead even if it doesn't align to it…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I hand filed the opening and reshaped where it meets the bulkhead. Better, but still more fine tuning needed.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The right side of the bulkhead needed to be fattened up too, both to thicken the cross-section and to bring it up to the height of the engine cover. I used .018 sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III .

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I thinned the left inside of the bulkhead with a Dremel Lola T-70 Mk III and hand sanding Lola T-70 Mk III for continuity then added some .010 sheet styrene Lola T-70 Mk III to bring it up to the engine cover. At this point I'm using the doors as guides to shape the body line in the bulkhead as well as the engine cover.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I'm sure that you've already considered it, but you need to fill the area around the doorlock - see below...

Lola T-70 Mk III-11-22-08074-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks for the photo! Yes, it too is on my to-do list. BTW, the windshield fits quite well on it.

Until the doors are modified and installed the work on the bulkhead and engine cover is on hold. The front roll bar was made the same way as the rear one. That windshield frame needs to be shored up or will will almost certainly break again.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I sawed the oil and fuel fill columns off the tub. I doubt I'll reuse them; probably machine new ones, but they are not very visible with the dash installed either…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    When I mounted the front roll bar to the cowl/windshield frame I paid attention to get a good fit for the windshield. But now the hood/fenders/nose doesn't fit very well to it. Not a surprise and an easy tradeoff. But it also turns out the dark blue plastic the body is molded in is really brittle.

A goal from the start was to not have the body panels under tension when assembled, but now it is very important due to how many cracks and parts have broken under just modest stress. Brass reinforcements have been added along the way including the pins and machined tubes for mounting points at the cowl. To cut down on the load/stress I had to add mounting points to the front of the tub and hood too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #31