Close

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty ¼ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I mostly use two flute HSS end mills. I prefer Niagara and other domestics, but I get what I can at the time since to shops around here have been disappearing.
    Dremel Lola T-70 Mk III bits don't work that well compared "real" end mills in my experience.

I have not had any problems in displaying models with magnets, but once I erased my room key for the hotel room at a contest when I put the magnetic tool to open the trunk of my model in my pocket with the card...

Polarity is very important. I already wrote an article for Scale Auto covering some of those points. I hope you check it out.

My father (Lloyd S. Jones) established/originated Scale-Master Decals in the mid/late '70s.
    I started drawing decals for kits in 1980 and took the name as a team effort (with his encouragement).
    We both used the trademark name of Scale-Master for several decades doing thousands of sheets for both major manufacturers and aftermarket companies, as well as our own lines.
    He retired several years ago and I have been the sole artist for Scale-Master for about a decade.
    Yep, Freilers, and many others...

Do you remember Mail Call Models?

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #227

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I turned my attention back the carbs and added brass tubing to the intake for positive locating of the Webers. I used the one I test grew to double check alignment.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #228

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Oh yes, I have a Precision Miniature Testa Rosa still. (Unbuilt.) With one of my price stickers still on it!

Your fathers books were great sellers for me! -small world!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #229

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I more than likely cast the white metal parts in that TR kit. I was the head caster at Precision Miniatures from 1980 through '83.
    My first decal Lola T-70 Mk III sheet was for the PM Mustang kit. But the decals in the TR were done by my Dad. It built six versions I think.
    I still have a few of those kits; I built so many for clients but never got around to building one for myself.

I'll let my Dad know.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #230

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Please do, I remember him very well!

I was the manager from 1977 to 1995, I was after Gary Maizack, who had replaced Danny Martinez.

Paul and Gloria Freiler had created quite the shop! We were often criticized by rivals for our extensive displays, but I had always thought of them as silent salesmen, and of course they were a big attraction. -of all the shops back then, over two dozen in the Los Angeles / Orange Counties, only Brookhurst Hobbies has survived! Even the discount chains are gone!

Enough! "Glory Days!" Another question? Decal Lola T-70 Mk III related. On Ken's build, the Tommy Ivo four engine masterpiece! I was suggesting that a decal Lola T-70 Mk III made, screened? with the transparent film left in it's center, printed art work surround, - a decal Lola T-70 Mk III with a "window", might be able to show off a "engine turned" gold leaf Lola T-70 Mk III ? Would that have worked? I think it should, but I have never had the need to try.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #231

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I'll have to take a look at that specific model, but I made decals for Revell Lola T-70 Mk III kits a couple times that mimicked engine turned gold leaf Lola T-70 Mk III and they were screen printed.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #232

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Built up the rear suspension rods and ends, and they work with the rest of the moving suspension parts. Steel rods, cast resin Lola T-70 Mk III joints made from 3D printed masters I designed and grew and brass pivot points.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #233

8. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I'm seeing a brake disc inside the spindle but still as part of the suspension. Is that where it was to be located and does that make the rear breaks a semi inboard application? I've only ever seen them outboard or right up close the the differential. Looking great as always!
    QUOTE QUOTE #234

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Yes, the rear brakes are inboard and mounted to the hub carriers. That makes the plumbing Lola T-70 Mk III of the rear calipers a little unique too.
    It's a normal configuration for these cars. My guess is the location was for better cooling.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #235

10. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I imagine it must have been a cooling issue that made them put them there. I remember watching a clip about the Lotus 72 Formula 1 and how the inboard rear brakes overheated very badly to the point where there was no rear braking at all due to the fact that the exhaust ran so close to them. The brake fluid would boil and the drivers complained to Colin Chapman to no avail. He was concerned about un-sprung weight and they were concerned about stopping!
    QUOTE QUOTE #236

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Made new lower control arms from steel and cast resin Lola T-70 Mk III ends.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #237