Close

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-02-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

I pulled this kit from my stash on May 5, 2019; the night we got home from the GSL.

1997 reissue of the 1970 Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III kit. It's been patiently waiting for 22 years in my stash to be built.
      I've been researching, planning and figuring all month. (Actually I was scheming a couple days before in case I didn't find a dream deal on another Caterham kit during the show/trip.)
      It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades.

I started by cleaning up the tub and main body panels.
      Lots of filling and sanding Lola T-70 Mk III to remove the twenty シ inch diameter ejection pin marks in the tub alone and general parting lines. But still a nicely molded kit considering its age.

The insides of the body also needed to be addressed for the same issues.

Lola T-70 Mk III
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The half-shafts are done for now. The yokes are cast resin Lola T-70 Mk III (dyed black) copies of 3D parts.

The shafts are brass acid treated for the dark finish.

Each U-joint has four bearings/caps (with E clips) and they work. The half-shafts telescope too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 02-02-20 at 12:35 PM.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #182

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I was going to have to adjust the rotor hubs (or make shims) so I decided to mill a new one out of resin Lola T-70 Mk III stock instead of editing the 3D file and growing a replacement. This was quicker too.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #183

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I designed and then grew the rotors several times over the course of a few months. The detail I want is just not something my printer can do on both sides. (One side is great.) I redesigned them adding more material so I could post-machine after growing them, but the material is too brittle when cured, and too soft and pliable before fully curing Lola T-70 Mk III . I was able to make them look really good after machining, but every one of them had micro fractures (or worse) that would show up under paint.
    The good side of them:

The rough side of them before machining:

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #184

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    So after way too much time and effort without acceptable results, I went back to my original plan to make the rotors before I got the 3D printer… Good old machining.

First I milled in the rectangular vent holes around the perimeter.

Then I cross-drilled 60 holes in each side.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #185

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    As satisfied I was at the time, the more I looked the more I thought I could do better… So more time on the mill and now I think I have what I want. These cross-drilled holes scale out to シ inch in diameter.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #186

6. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I decided to go with my earlier rotor configuration; slotted and cross-drilled.
    Raw rotor blanks cut from high-pressure cast blank aluminum composite material.

I milled the vents around the perimeter and faced them.

I cross-drilled and slotted them. They are directional.

This is the natural cut finish of the material.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #187

7. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Wow! You must have quite the machine shop to make those things. They look great. I could have been happy to make plastic ones but event that would be a difficult task with my skills and tooling. Great work.
    QUOTE QUOTE #188

8. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Thanks! I just have an old Sherline manual mill and a lathe.
    While I have the software and experience to create files for CNC, I don't have any of the hardware.
    I actually like doing it the old fashioned way. I guess it's like fishing for other people...

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #189

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I got the Wilwood calipers painted, going for a ceramic finish look. They are Corvette retrofit units I designed in SolidWorks and 3D printed before hand-finishing the masters then casting Lola T-70 Mk III resin Lola T-70 Mk III copies. I used the new Tamiya Lola T-70 Mk III LP-6 Pure Blue for the color.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #190

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The new 3D printed caliper brackets I designed and grew to mount the calipers have been attached to the front spindles.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #191

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I carefully saved the rear caliper mounts on the hub carriers when I cut off the molded on calipers from the kit. But those had to go too because the larger Wilwood calipers couldn't be mounted to them. Again, these are 3D parts I rendered in SolidWorks and printed.

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #192

12. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Composite brake pads. They have been seated and used just a little bit…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #193

13. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    The pads are installed and the calipers have been dry set up on their respective bracketry.
    The rotors, hubs, calipers and pads are all scratch-built. The slide pins are polished steel, but still more hardware to machine for the calipers.
    Rears:

Fronts:

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #194

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I had to make the coil over shocks next to continue mocking up the suspension.
    Shock bodies…

Lola T-70 Mk III
    QUOTE QUOTE #195

15. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Incredible details! Your "mock-ups" are way better than even my "finished" parts. Wish I knew how to 3D design and print, but that is far deeper than I can go given my time and money to build things so I am glad I get to vicariously enjoy your work.
    QUOTE QUOTE #196